UK Politics: Picking Your Career

mormont

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

What kind of sick person hates themselves so much they would read comment boxes on the internet

Okay, but what does that have to do withe the comment box on the front page, which rather undermines your theory that the Mail aren't agreeing with him.

Like, that they're avoiding directly saying anything they can get formally or legally called liars for while doing all they can to make it seem those lies are credible is exactly why I said it's so dishonest.  You're using my argument against my argument.

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Okay, but what does that have to do withe the comment box on the front page, which rather undermines your theory that the Mail aren't agreeing with him.

Fair I misread what Targ wrote 

13 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Like, that they're avoiding directly saying anything they can get formally or legally called liars for while doing all they can to make it seem those lies are credible is exactly why I said it's so dishonest.  You're using my argument against my argument.

Maybe, but at the same time what Boris says carries so little weight even with Tories that them reporting his direct words doesn’t have the effect you seem to think. Most people don’t believe Boris tells the truth so what do you suppose they will think when they read that headline?

Look the Daily Mail is full of shit and obviously has a position on things, but this a million miles away from the worst front page they have ever made, it’s kind of absurd to suggest it is. 

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Look the Daily Mail is full of shit and obviously has a position on things, but this a million miles away from the worst front page they have ever made, it’s kind of absurd to suggest it is. 

That's probably fair tbh.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe, but at the same time what Boris says carries so little weight even with Tories that them reporting his direct words doesn’t have the effect you seem to think. Most people don’t believe Boris tells the truth so what do you suppose they will think when they read that headline?

Well yeah, polls suggest even the Tory base have mostly got over Boris, but that doesn't change what they're trying to do. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Maybe, but at the same time what Boris says carries so little weight even with Tories that them reporting his direct words doesn’t have the effect you seem to think. Most people don’t believe Boris tells the truth so what do you suppose they will think when they read that headline.

And yet they printed his lies like they were seemingly factual statements. Why do you think conservatives parrot bullshit? Their news sources being obvious hacks is one of the major problems. 

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And yet they printed his lies like they were seemingly factual statements. Why do you think conservatives parrot bullshit? Their news sources being obvious hacks is one of the major problems. 

That only works if anyone believes things Boris says are factual. Seeing as almost everyone think he’s full of shit and agrees he should have gone, then writing headlines of ‘Boris says…’ doesn’t paint anything as factual. 

Edited by Heartofice

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

That only works if anyone believes things Boris says are factual. Seeing as almost everyone think he’s full of shit and agrees he should have gone, then writing headlines of ‘Boris says…’ doesn’t paint anything as factual. 

Everyone should have realized what he was saying about Brexit was bullshit too. But it was printed in a way that conveyed it was factual by conservative media. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Everyone should have realized what he was saying about Brexit was bullshit too. But it was printed in a way that conveyed it was factual by conservative media. 

Nice divert, but the remainer media fell for that ploy hook line and sinker. Even after all these years you are still talking about it

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Nice divert, but the remainer media fell for that ploy hook line and sinker. Even after all these years you are still talking about it

I still make fun of my uncle for shooting himself years ago and closing a drawer on his dick several decades ago before I was born. Because it was dumb, but not as dumb as Brexit. And calling out "journalists" for lying about it is fair game until the end of time. 

If he wants the Tories to lose and have a massive re-set then he'd call an election. If he wants to the Tories to have a shot at retaining most of their seats then he'll won't. If he wants to be PM for as long as he possibly can he certainly won't. If MPs think it can only get worse, electorally, the longer they delay they will push for an early election. If MPs think with enough time they can probably keep their seats they will want to wait as long as possible.

So, forget what the polls are doing, what are the Tory MPs thinking and can anyone read minds?

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I still make fun of my uncle for shooting himself years ago and closing a drawer on his dick several decades ago before I was born. Because it was dumb, but not as dumb as Brexit. And calling out "journalists" for lying about it is fair game until the end of time. 

Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Especially when the history is like 7 years ago and most of the journalists and politicians who lied about what Brexit could be expected to look like are still alive and working and in power.

Also this conversation on Johnson and con media reminds me of how creationist(they’re not the only ones who do it it just springs to mind)  often allude to apologists being in any qualified or justified  in what they’re talking about.

Like a  Professor of Christian literature would be cited as “world renowned professor says ‘evolution isn’t reasonable’” 

It’s not directly lying—but the worst lies come from omission.

I didn't realize Brexit was speed running the transition from recent events/typical to somewhat distant history that it's not worth even caring about anymore.

I was faux objecting to my kids talking about 9/11 being covered in history this week but that at least happened before they were born rather than being something a few (actual Brexit) or several (the referendum) years ago.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

I didn't realize Brexit was speed running the transition from recent events/typical to somewhat distant history that it's not worth even caring about anymore.

I was faux objecting to my kids talking about 9/11 being covered in history this week but that at least happened before they were born rather than being something a few (actual Brexit) or several (the referendum) years ago.

I did my exams in History about the German Reunification in 1992. I even was personally involved in the process leading to it. That was a quite interesting and intense year in class.

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

There’s probably some academic phrase to describe this using but I’m calling it the yawning and I think it’s prime goal is to induce apathy.

If you see someone yawning you’re more likely to yawn.

If you see someone constantly bemoaning on how tiring and irritating to talk about Brexit you’re more likely feel exhausted when trying to engage in it.

Someone Trying to Actually defend the concept of Brexit even being remotely reasonable  idea would make them  look silly at best deluded at worst. it may be their interest if they want to pull another culture war stunt that would  obvious sever economic drawbacks for people to not draw any parallels or connections to past events that make what their doing look bad.

18 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Nice divert, but the remainer media fell for that ploy hook line and sinker. Even after all these years you are still talking about

Just be clear, this comment was in reference to the side of the bus figures, which vote leave absolutely wanted remain to get into a dribbling mess about, and which people are still going on about, completely misunderstanding how these things work.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Just be clear, this comment was in reference to the side of the bus figures, which vote leave absolutely wanted remain to get into a dribbling mess about, and which people are still going on about, completely misunderstanding how these things work.

Just to be clear.

You are saying that the leaver camp made a Big Lie the centrepiece of their campaign, with the deliberate aim of making the remain campaign "get into a dribbling mess about" spending bandwidth explaining in detail why it was wrong.

And you are also saying that remainers still being annoyed at how this Big Lie was used to sell Brexit is simply them being naive about "how these things work".

Edit: and on the more productive discussion, the Tories are looking at being slaughtered now versus being slaughtered next year. Naturally most of their MPs want to hang on for that extra year so as to arrange something for themselves if/when they lose their seats. Hence what appears to have been a plan for several of them to resign now and force multiple by-elections seems to have fallen flat.

Edited by A wilding

Apparently the reason Nadine Dorries wasn’t put through for a peerage was because she was still a member of the Commons, lol. 
When she learned this, she asked Sunak if he would out her forward of she quit, and was told no assurances would be given