Titanic Horror! Tourist Submersible Goes Missing While Attempting to View Wreckage of Titanic.

Parsons

I’ve been researching the Titanic and the Titan sub (the missing one) for a sci-fi book I’ve just started writing. 

The bodies are gone, eaten by sealife, save perhaps for any in the inner compartments lower down. Those with life vests on who died of the cold likely drifted away. 

There are photos of shoes lying sode by side on the seabed which indicates where some bodies may have lain.

Some bottles of champagne recovered from the wreck have proven drinkable.

Metal-eating bacteria has left the Titanic in a bad state and it may collapse in on itself within the next 10 years.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

The game controller thing is a bit silly. Militaries around the world have been using unbranded game controllers, or bespoke game controllers from manufacturers like Microsoft, to control unmanned aerial and ground vehicles. There’s nothing wrong with a sub being controlled with a game controller. They’re robust, easy to replace, etc.

Depends if they brought a spare in case it broke. Wonder if it was wireless in ehich case hope they brought batteries

No way I would enter such a thing. Way too packed inside, with no way out, no communication. Pure madness imho.

Then, they paid 250K $$ to do that tour. Sounds like a way to scam the 1% that went horribly (and expectedly) wrong.

Still, I hope they died suddenly and fast, staying there for several days in such small space before slowly dying like those poor dudes in the Kursk way back then, that's horrible.

26 minutes ago, Ran said:

The game controller thing is a bit silly. Militaries around the world have been using unbranded game controllers, or bespoke game controllers from manufacturers like Microsoft, to control unmanned aerial and ground vehicles. There’s nothing wrong with a sub being controlled with a game controller. They’re robust, easy to replace, etc.

Yep. A buddy of mine was a drone pilot in the Army for a few years and said it wasn't that different from playing a video game though the way he described it it sounded more like something you'd see at an old school arcade rather than a PS/Xbox controller. I think a funny comp would be F1. What they're using to steer looks a lot like something from a high end video game.

One of the oddities about this is the people onboard are either very experienced, very wealthy or both. It's a bit of surprise things went sideways so quickly and that they maybe weren't using the best equipment. It's hard to see how this has a happy ending, but you never know. A few kids survived a plane crash in the jungle for 40 days and were found recently. 

4 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

No way I would enter such a thing. Way too packed inside, with no way out, no communication. Pure madness imho.

I'd personally rather take the same risk going into space. A deep sea exploration sounds horrifying. I'd climb Everest before that. The only thing I can think of that would be more terrifying is jumping off a cliff in one of those squirrel suits. 

13 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Okay. This animation on depth gives me the heebie-jeebies...

It was literally posted on the last page.

That cheap, low quality Wisconsin beer is fucking with your head man.

40 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Boo. I looked at the link wrong.

Try this one instead, you heathen...

Linked in the same tweet...

Okay that's pretty cool.

Do better sperm whale. The giant squid is kicking your ass on ability to dive deep. 

Also where is (i) the Megalodon and (ii) Earhart's plane on that list. Where are they? WHERE ARE THEY?  

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a bit of surprise things went sideways so quickly

The report I heard today by a journalist who took this trip is that things are always going wrong with it.  There's never been one of these trips where things don't wrong.  They get 5 opportunities to do the dive down and see the Titanic, and in every one of them things happened that kept them from doing so successfully -- i.e. reaching the Titanic and seeing it.  Many of these tours never make it successfully at all.  His did, but barely.  It was a chilling report.  And why they could do this stuff and get away with it?  Out in the international waters.  There is no regulation or oversight.

The people who do this, like the guy who took his son -- who ever heard of dying coz your dad is rich? -- remind me of the idiots in National Parks or African Safari tours, who think it's cute to set up their kid for a photo op feeding / petting a bear or lion.

Edited by Zorral

4 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Hamm’s beer, it’ll do it every time!!!

Hamm's is the stuff rotting Ty's Minnesohtah brain. Well stick to the PBR and Schlitz in Milwaukee, thank you very much.

And where are we on humor and the rich in submarine? I mean, i really do want to see them returned, but sometimes you have to laugh to get through the pain...

31 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I’m surprised the other business guy took his 19 year old son down there with him; to me, that does not bespeak that he was aware of the risk 100%.

Idk, is it that different from me encouraging my young cousin to do a pretty tricky climb that had a reasonable chance of her falling and breaking something? I was there with her, but she still could have gotten seriously injured or worse. Sometimes you have to chase thrills. This is just one I couldn't do.

Also - in more reading of the comments sections of the Washington Post, it seems that there are likely knowledgeable readers who claim that this was probably a hull collapse that occurred in 1/20th of a second, and, yes, they would have died instantly and painlessly.

Better than hanging around for hours in the cold and dark, waiting for the oxygen to run out.

That's a really interesting philosophical question. I actually think I'd want there be a chance to survive. The true horror would be to know there's no chance of survival and you're stuck in that thing for a few days. 

51 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The report I heard today by a journalist who took this trip is that things are always going wrong with it.  There's never been one of these trips where things don't wrong.  They get 5 opportunities to do the dive down and see the Titanic, and in every one of them things happened that kept them from doing so successfully -- i.e. reaching the Titanic and seeing it.  Many of these tours never make it successfully at all.  His did, but barely.  It was a chilling report.  And why they could do this stuff and get away with it?  Out in the international waters.  There is no regulation or oversight.

Yeah like I said I just couldn't do this one. Even snorkeling down a few hundred feet would freak me the fuck out. I had a bad experience in Mexico and deep sea stuff is just a pass for me unless we're fishing (and even then, I'm not hunting Bruce). 

The people who do this, like the guy who took his son -- who ever heard of dying coz your dad is rich? -- remind me of the idiots in National Parks or African Safari tours, who think it's cute to set up their kid for a photo op feeding / petting a bear or lion.

Well I guess I'm that idiot in a National Park lol. I got banned from one and that was one of the most awkward drives home with my ex-fiancé. 

Is mooning her and a bunch of strangers from the edge of a cliff really that much of a crime? Prude ass park rangers worried because someone died a week before...

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

A few kids survived a plane crash in the jungle for 40 days and were found recently. 

Yup, but after the crash, they were on solid ground, with water and could breathe air without any support.

I hope this terrible accident will make people take more seriously the risks of going to Mars, and even moreso of setting up a Martian base, specially all the suicidal fools who signed up for that one-way trip from that dodgy firm some years ago. Because this is how they're all going to end: either dying fast in some catastrophe or dying slowly and horrifically due to some sudden illness, food, water, air or power shortage.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

The report I heard today by a journalist who took this trip is that things are always going wrong with it.  There's never been one of these trips where things don't wrong.  They get 5 opportunities to do the dive down and see the Titanic, and in every one of them things happened that kept them from doing so successfully.

I wonder if those who paid for that kind of trip were aware of this. Odds are that they were fed some bullshit. Still, the CEO was in the sub; he was sharing the risks.

52 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

. Even snorkeling down a few hundred feet would freak me the fuck out. I had a bad experience in Mexico and deep sea stuff is just a pass for me unless we're fishing (and even then, I'm not hunting Bruce).

Snorkeling down a few hundred feet would certainly do something to you

3 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I just can’t snorkel. My Eustachian tubes are too small; any pressure get to me terribly.

I always wondered about eustachian tubes with the people who do competitive free diving - I've heard they let water into their sinuses to alleviate pressure, but what about those? 

42 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

Yup, but after the crash, they were on solid ground, with water and could breathe air without any support.

I hope this terrible accident will make people take more seriously the risks of going to Mars, and even moreso of setting up a Martian base, specially all the suicidal fools who signed up for that one-way trip from that dodgy firm some years ago. Because this is how they're all going to end: either dying fast in some catastrophe or dying slowly and horrifically due to some sudden illness, food, water, air or power shortage.

Off topic, but we have to be realistic about this, the first people to step foot on Mars probably are never coming back and if I had to guess there will be a number of failed attempts before anyone even gets there.

9 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Snorkeling down a few hundred feet would certainly do something to you

Lol, meant scuba diving. 

This is a youtuber called Sub Brief. He served aboard a U.S. navy submarine for a number of years before retiring. His channel mostly does military news relating to the navy but because of the nature of this disaster he has done a video where he outlines a number of red flags he has seen after examining the information about this submersible craft.