US Politics: He's so indicted, he just can't abide by it...

Mindwalker

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

And 7% in 2020 which is close to what it was in 2012. Trump won Texas by a smaller margin than that in the same year. Is Texas a swing state? Of course not. One dip cycle does not make a state a swing state when again it's gone for the same party for over 50 years and almost no one here is worried about it in 2024. 

You can talk to wikipedia, 538 and the other news sites, then. Tell them about your lakes too! I'm sure they'll care greatly while they're eating your cheese

You gotta love coming into General Chatter and see US Politics marked "hot", thinking some interesting new development has unfolded...

... only to find out it's actually just Kal and Ty heatedly arguing over whether Minnesota is a swing state or not... :dunno:

20 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

You can talk to wikipedia, 538 and the other news sites, then. Tell them about your lakes too! I'm sure they'll care greatly while they're eating your cheese

Wikipedia? Lol. Cite that in an academic conversation and see what happens. And next to nobody has cared about 538 for ages.

To call a state that's had two Democratic senators and two Democratic governors for a decade and a half and has the longest streak of voting for Democrats for president a swing state is ridiculous because Republicans got closer than expected once to winning it is nutty. By that logic a majority of states can be called swing states and we all know that isn't true. A swing state actually has to elect people statewide from both parties within a reasonable timespan. If one party always wins, but it's not a complete blowout, does not make it a swing state.

Anyways I'm done with this nonsense. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

4 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

You gotta love coming into General Chatter and see US Politics marked "hot", thinking some interesting new development has unfolded...

... only to find out it's actually just Kal and Ty heatedly arguing over whether Minnesota is a swing state or not... :dunno:

This is a safe space. There will be no kink shaming here! :whip:

Well, hopefully the final word on MN is that even though it may vote reliably Democrat for many cycles and quite likely in 2024 too, you still have to spend resources and have a great ground game to ensure that outcome, since small changes or a couple of counties flipping can make it awfully close. Thats what makes it a swing state.

Michigan in 2016 may have been an outlier too, but that doesn't mean every election we don't get palpitations here. Unfortunately, whatever Trump tapped into still exists and you just need one round of apathy from a certain segment of D voters and ....poof.

Edited by IheartIheartTesla

11 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Nothing like getting hit by ty's mum. :leaving:

Your German ass would pay good money for that.

8 minutes ago, Week said:

She'll throw a comb at you so hard that caesar dressing will shoot right through your mucus membranes. 

No, no, no, she throws a binder. Everyone knows that's the move she learns when she reaches level 32. Do you even Pokémon? 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Your German ass would pay good money for that.

No, no, no, she throws a binder. Everyone knows that's the move she learns when she reaches level 32. Do you even Pokémon? 

Your mum throwing an orange at the ground yelling I choose you, Pikachu! Doesn't qualify as pokemon experience.

It's for precisely conversations like this that the term 'lean' was invented. MN isn't a swing state in that it doesn't regularly vote for one party and then the other. But any state that gets even with 5% in a presidential election, much less 2%, certainly isn't a safe state either. Minnesota leans Democratic for sure, and Democrats have an extremely high floor that makes it very hard for Republicans to get to a win. But it's not a sure thing like Hawaii or Vermont.

Also, Amy Klobuchar regularly demolishes her senate races; but other Democrats aren't so dominant. Mondale straight up lost in 2002 (though that was a weird circumstance; Franken won by only a few hundred votes in 2008; Franken did have a good re-election in 2014 and Smith had a good special election in 2018; but then Smith only won by 5% in 2020- again, not safe.

11 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Your mum throwing an orange at the ground yelling I choose you, Pikachu! Doesn't qualify as pokemon experience.

So get on your hands and knees and call yourself Ponyta. @LongRider may get on your back for free, but she also might whip you, as you deserve. 

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So get on your hands and knees and call yourself Ponyta. @LongRider may get on your back for free, but she also might whip you, as you deserve. 

If I were a Pokemon, I'd be Spectrier. You know all Germans fancy themselves to be in the Uber tier.

33 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Well, hopefully the final word on MN is that even though it may vote reliably Democrat for many cycles and quite likely in 2024 too, you still have to spend resources and have a great ground game to ensure that outcome, since small changes or a couple of counties flipping can make it awfully close. Thats what makes it a swing state.

Michigan in 2016 may have been an outlier too, but that doesn't mean every election we don't get palpitations here. Unfortunately, whatever Trump tapped into still exists and you just need one round of apathy from a certain segment of D voters and ....poof.

Good answer.

Florida might be an example for the other side. Most elections it is going Republican but a lot money and sweat has to be spent to make that a guarantee.

28 minutes ago, Fez said:

It's for precisely conversations like this that the term 'lean' was invented. MN isn't a swing state in that it doesn't regularly vote for one party and then the other. But any state that gets even with 5% in a presidential election, much less 2%, certainly isn't a safe state either. Minnesota leans Democratic for sure, and Democrats have an extremely high floor that makes it very hard for Republicans to get to a win.

This makes me curious. How Dem gerrymandered is MN? 

GOP silences ‘Tennessee Three’ Democrat on House floor for day on ‘out of order’ rule; crowd erupts

Under new rules adopted by the GOP-dominant chamber last week, members can be silenced anywhere from a day to the rest of the year for not sticking to the bill being debated.

“What our schools need are mental health professionals,” Jones said. “We need funding for mental health, for counselors. We need to pay our teachers better. We don’t need more police in our schools.”...

https://apnews.com/article/tennessee-special-session-gun-control-f0af470eb6f377633735c5a1dcefa66f

25 minutes ago, JGP said:

This makes me curious. How Dem gerrymandered is MN? 

Republicans have had good luck winning elections in the past when its been redistricting time both to change the map and then made it harder to create a new one when they've mostly lost, but still hold one of the legislative chambers. The state is fairly large so you can get creative with them and what tends to happen is the main urban hubs get packed while the vast rural areas get massively overrepresented. It's pretty similar to the US overall, the economic drivers have way less of a say than the small populations who take up a lot of land. Here's a map:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=560829464&authuser=1&sxsrf=AB5stBgyz1raPqn6WUcpc4MIngH51xEsMQ:1693266243556&q=minnesota+political+map&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj-6NOnxICBAxV1jYkEHZSpCR4Q0pQJegQIDBAB&biw=1920&bih=923&dpr=1#imgrc=Mrj5SULFkz8bCM

Pretty much everything outside of the Twin Cities, Rochester and Duluth goes red, but no one lives in most of those counties. If Democrats played hardball they could easily redraw the map with five of eight congressional seats being a slam dunk and then try to regain control of Northern MN, but I'm skeptical of the latter. It's a really beautiful place, but the people there are extremely depressed and for the most part they're poor white people who are pissed off by people in the cities. There's no difference between Northern MN and West Virginia.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If I were a Pokemon, I'd be Spectrier. You know all Germans fancy themselves to be in the Uber tier.

Uber?  ::eye roll::  Yawn, now where did I leave my spurs?   :whip:    

5 hours ago, Underfoot said:

Corn, soybeans, and pork are Iowa's thing. And, surprisingly, wind turbines? Always weird to go back home and see how many there are. 

I thought Iowa's "thing" was scientifically experimenting with which foods can and cannot be successfully deep fried.