US Politics: He's so indicted, he just can't abide by it...

Mindwalker

14 minutes ago, Underfoot said:

that too, but i'd hesitate to use "scientific" as a descriptor of what happens

Hey, I don't understand how one can deep fry a stick of butter and put it on a stick. It's either science... or magic. So either Iowa has a surplus of scientists or wizards.

As someone from Illinois, I'll take either. Our claim to food fame is taking pizza and making it more bowl-shaped so either one of those would be an upgrade.

Edited by Durckad

49 minutes ago, Durckad said:

Hey, I don't understand how one can deep fry a stick of butter and put it on a stick. It's either science... or magic. So either Iowa has a surplus of scientists or wizards.

I don't get how they make deep fried Coke. At least deep frying candy bars makes a little sense. It's all awful, but it's funny watching politicians who would otherwise never touch this shit eat it and pretend that it's good. People in the Midwest love waiting in long lines for food that might kill you before you make it to the parking lot.

I did have some amazing steak with onions and peppers on pita bread last year. Also the honey popsicles were pretty dope. Midwestern state fairs are an acid trip while sober, but you do find some gems.

Edited by Tywin et al.

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

You mean cake right? 

Nah, he mean Coca-Cola.

It's not actually as exciting as it sounds though. I had hoped it was basically a Chinese soup dumpling filled with Coke and deep fried, but it's not. Basically you just mix coca-cola into your batter instead of milk, make donut balls, and deep fry them. In some recipes, you reduce the coke down to it's syrup and use it as the butter instead. And either way, after the deep frying is done you top the donut balls with coke syrup.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Nah, he mean Coca-Cola.

It's not actually as exciting as it sounds though. I had hoped it was basically a Chinese soup dumpling filled with Coke and deep fried, but it's not. Basically you just mix coca-cola into your batter instead of milk, make donut balls, and deep fry them. In some recipes, you reduce the coke down to it's syrup and use it as the butter instead. And either way, after the deep frying is done you top the donut balls with coke syrup.

That sounds fucking rank

GOP salivates at the biggest campaign finance win since Citizens United
It could be a seismic shift in how tens of millions of campaign dollars are spent.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/29/gop-campaign-finance-citizens-united-00113235

The GOP is growing increasingly optimistic about their prospects in a little-noticed lawsuit that would allow official party committees and candidates to coordinate freely by removing current spending restrictions. If successful, it would represent a seismic shift in how tens of millions of campaign dollars are spent and upend a well-established political ecosystem for TV advertising.

An eventual victory in the lawsuit, filed last November by the National Republican Senatorial Committee and the National Republican Congressional Committee, would eliminate the need for House and Senate campaign committees of any party to set up separate operations to make so-called independent expenditures to boost candidates with TV ads.

Committees could work in concert with their candidates, opening up millions of party dollars to individual campaigns and allowing party committees to purchase TV air time at the much cheaper rates offered to candidates.

“What they’re trying to do is just pry open another barn door to get very large unlimited contributions toward candidates,” said Tom Moore, a former longtime aide to a Democratic commissioner on the Federal Election Commission who now works for the liberal Center for American Progress. “This is money that they don’t have to raise in small-dollar increments from actual voters.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/28/eminem-vivek-ramaswamy-cease-desist-letter

Eminem demands Vivek Ramaswamy cease using his music on campaign trail

Eminem, whose real name is Marshall Mathers III, objected to Ramaswamy’s use of his compositions and was revoking a license to use them.

The letter, dated 23 August, became public weeks after Ramaswamy, 38, a financial investor and politics newcomer, mounted an impromptu performance of Lose Yourself by Eminem at the Iowa State Fair, bemusing many Republicans but securing a measure of internet renown...

In its letter to the Ramaswamy campaign, Broadcast Music, Inc (BMI) said it “will consider any performance of the Eminem works by the Vivek 2024 campaign from this date forward to be a material breach of the agreement for which BMI reserves all rights and remedies”.

5 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/28/eminem-vivek-ramaswamy-cease-desist-letter

Eminem demands Vivek Ramaswamy cease using his music on campaign trail

Eminem, whose real name is Marshall Mathers III, objected to Ramaswamy’s use of his compositions and was revoking a license to use them.

The letter, dated 23 August, became public weeks after Ramaswamy, 38, a financial investor and politics newcomer, mounted an impromptu performance of Lose Yourself by Eminem at the Iowa State Fair, bemusing many Republicans but securing a measure of internet renown...

In its letter to the Ramaswamy campaign, Broadcast Music, Inc (BMI) said it “will consider any performance of the Eminem works by the Vivek 2024 campaign from this date forward to be a material breach of the agreement for which BMI reserves all rights and remedies”.

Indian guy trying way too hard to appear cool by playing Eminem and getting slapped down is an admirable living up to stereotypes. 

Edited by Gaston de Foix

1 hour ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Indian guy trying way too hard to appear cool by playing Eminem and getting slapped down is an admirable living up to stereotypes. 

Still less hilariously awful than Rudy Giuliani using the Clash's "Rudie Can't Fail" last time he ran for President...

What is it about right wingers and their inability to read or understand music lyrics?

Edited by DanteGabriel

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And here I thought British food was not great.

Pipe down Germany. A quick Google search of weird German food shows some of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. One looks like you guys eat the raw materials that eventually become chicken nuggets. Ick.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Pipe down Germany. A quick Google search of weird German food shows some of the most disgusting things I've ever seen. One looks like you guys eat the raw materials that eventually become chicken nuggets. Ick.

This is a little unfair.  I had some of the best food of my life in Berlln.  Greek, Turkish, Italian, French.  Just avoid the native grub. 

3 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

This is a little unfair.  I had some of the best food of my life in Berlln.  Greek, Turkish, Italian, French.  Just avoid the native grub. 

I mean, the same is true in London. Some of the best Indian is in London or in the UK in general. 

Also high tea is kind of awesome if a bit kitschy. 

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, but it's still not close to let's deepfry coca cola. And I am not entirely sure, that you lot simply do not toss in a full can of coke into the deep fryer.

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yeah, but it's still not close to let's deepfry coca cola. And I am not entirely sure, that you lot simply do not toss in a full can of coke into the deep fryer.

It's much less interesting than I thought:
https://www.foodrepublic.com/recipes/deep-fried-coke-recipe/