Videogames Thread: Steaming Ahead

Corvinus85

On 11/7/2023 at 5:01 AM, Caligula_K3 said:

It's better, but not quite as good as X Wing vs. Tie Fighter.

@Arakasi Plot and presentation aside, I think it would be a very, very rare eight year old who would enjoy a Dark Souls-esque game. You know your son, but if they're going to get frustrated at dying over and over and over, it's probably not going to be a fun experience for them.

Well AC6 is also a game from the same company. Is Elden ring considerably harder than AC?

It’s Happening! First 'Grand Theft Auto VI' Trailer Gets Release Window From Rockstar Games
The most recent game in the franchise was released a decade ago in 2013.

https://collider.com/grand-theft-auto-6-trailer-release-window/

It might have taken a few years, but strap on those seat belts because it's finally happening. Ten years on from the most recent addition to its bestselling video game franchise, Rockstar Games have officially revealed that the next chapter of the Grand Theft Auto franchise is on the way, with the sixth installment getting a trailer next month.

Most likely to be called GTA VI when it releases, Rockstar made the announcement on their official X (formerly Twitter) handle. “We are very excited to let you know that in early December, we will release the first trailer for the next Grand Theft Auto. We look forward to many more years of sharing these experiences with all of you,” the company's statement signed by Sam Houser, President of Rockstar read.

I actually think there's a good chance it'll be called Grand Theft Auto: VIce, because that's kind of an open goal for them.

Meanwhile, pressing on with Alan Wake II. Hugely enjoyable game, vastly superior to the first one (there's no real comparison) and starting to become a serious contender for GOTY. It probably won't quite land there - Baldur's Gate 3 is such an utterly all-consuming juggernaut I can't see anything dethroning it - but it is an outstanding achievement.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

It probably won't quite land there - Baldur's Gate 3 is such an utterly all-consuming juggernaut I can't see anything dethroning it - but it is an outstanding achievement.

Gonna between it and Zelda I'd imagine but BG might get some extra credit for not building so closely on an existing game.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I actually think there's a good chance it'll be called Grand Theft Auto: VIce, because that's kind of an open goal for them.

Meanwhile, pressing on with Alan Wake II. Hugely enjoyable game, vastly superior to the first one (there's no real comparison) and starting to become a serious contender for GOTY. It probably won't quite land there - Baldur's Gate 3 is such an utterly all-consuming juggernaut I can't see anything dethroning it - but it is an outstanding achievement.

So the story isn’t  nonsensical drivel narrated by a pretentious writer this time ? 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Gonna between it and Zelda I'd imagine but BG might get some extra credit for not building so closely on an existing game.

That’s an odd comment coming from Divinity Original Sin 2. Some have called BG3 divinity original sin 3. It’s honestly to me the biggest reason I’ve not played more because I got really tired of original sin by the end and early game BG3 feels identical, not helped by the identical subplot of party of 6 wake up on a shore of an island after escaping a shipwreck.

58 minutes ago, Arakasi said:

That’s an odd comment coming from Divinity Original Sin 2. Some have called BG3 divinity original sin 3. It’s honestly to me the biggest reason I’ve not played more because I got really tired of original sin by the end and early game BG3 feels identical, not helped by the identical subplot of party of 6 wake up on a shore of an island after escaping a shipwreck.

I'm gonna take a guess that BG3 and Original Sin 2 aren't literally in the same world map though.

14 hours ago, Arakasi said:

I don't think that is what is being talked about here. BG3 might have some of the same mechanics and feel of Divinity but the story, the characters, the plot, the background - all of those are entirely different. And that's especially important given how big of a deal the characters have been to BG3's success. 

Now, if you want to argue that it's not as original because it's building off of BG1 and 2, that's fair - it's still not super accurate given what happens in BG3, but it's more of a fair argument. But it ain't like Karlach was an existing household name like Zelda is.

I haven't gotten to play BG3 yet, but like Zelda it seems like a pretty landmark game. But this year has been so stacked with phenomenal games; depending on individual preferences, there are so many games that could be it (even if BG3 and Zelda are in the lead).

Game of the year is such a hard thing to judge anyway. With books and movies, just about anyone who wants to can read or see all the leading contenders for an affordable price and within a reasonable amount of time. With video games, you need to have all the right consoles, be willing to spend a ton of money, and devote hundreds upon hundreds of hours to playing them all.

@Arakasi Yeah, Dark Souls style games are much harder and more frustrating than Armored Core 6. Before spending the money on Elden Ring, if you really want to try, you could buy Dark Souls 3 on sale to see how much your son would enjoy that style of game - I say Dark Souls 3 because out of all of them, it has the most reasonable difficulty. But my bet is that any of these games are too much for an eight year old.

As was prophesised in the ancient texts, Valve have announced the new Steam Deck, but it's an evolution of the existing version with a much better screen and a better battery life. The core specs are still the same though.

21 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I think if it was between BG3 and Breath of the Wild, the latter would take it but the former would be an honourable second place. Tears of the Kingdom is a great game but much more derivative or a prior title (in this case Breath of the Wild).

There are similarities between BG3 and the DOS-duology but BG3 is a much stronger evolution of its formula, and actually has a different focus (DOS combat is much more puzzle-like, often with each battle having a specific "unlock" to make it easier due to surfaces or AoE effects; BG3 is much more "here's the situation, go fucking nuts with whatever build you're pursuing and if in doubt stealth-shove everyone to death,").

BG3 deserves it more than Tears of the Kingdom but it might come down to ubiquity and accessibility, which I suspect would give it to Tears.

3 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

2 days until November 11.

Ya’ll remember 11/11/11?

12 years since Skyrim. 

Fucking Bethesda. 

I mean they have been making other games during this time, one an original IP and the other fallout. I don’t mind they take their time just get it right, although I’m really gonna miss Jeremy Soules music…

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ya’ll remember 11/11/11?

12 years since Skyrim. 

Fucking Bethesda. 

They gave a rough outline of dates for future games and it was 2025 for Elder Scrolls and 2030 for Fallout. Those estimates are certain to slip. It probably means we won't see a Starfield 2 until 2040. I'll be something like 64 by then.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

As was prophesised in the ancient texts, Valve have announced the new Steam Deck, but it's an evolution of the existing version with a much better screen and a better battery life. The core specs are still the same though.

Fml. I pulled the trigger too early I see. You warned me but I already had it ordered at that point. Oh well.

On 11/10/2023 at 1:13 AM, A True Kaniggit said:

Ya’ll remember 11/11/11?

12 years since Skyrim. 

Fucking Bethesda. 

Whilst we still have ages until ES6, we do have this incoming in less than two years:

I think that's the first time they've really shown the new cave system and it is very impressive compared to the original (not as good as Starfield's caves, which are another level and possibly the best thing in the game) and to Skyrim. I also like the dynamic spawning idea, with enemies being able to set up ambushes in a way we haven't seen before in the Creation Engine.

The original version of this mission in Oblivion is totally dull cookie-cutter meh (good for 2006, but not now), it's genuinely impressive how they redid this in a way that's cohesive with the original but much more interesting. Also, making the Haunted Mine actually haunted, is quite amusing (I think Bethesda were asked WTF was going on with that and someone forgot to put undead in the original, making the name nonsensical).

9 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Whilst we still have ages until ES6, we do have this incoming in less than two years:

And we also have Morrowind: Tamriel Rebuilt, which is a remarkable undertaking: 

https://www.pcgamer.com/morrowinds-most-impossibly-ambitious-mod-just-added-a-whole-new-region-for-its-7th-expansion-in-22-years/

Edited by IlyaP