Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

Caught the latest episode. It was pretty slow. Still, I enjoyed Ray Stevenson just hanging around having presence, Ahsoka training with the holo-recording of Anakin, and the battle at the end. Even liked the small tortoise creatures. I was probably around six or seven when I watched Return of the Jedi for the first time and so was brainwashed into appreciating small, chirpy, highly merchandisable Star Wars aliens. 

I'd forgotten how much I liked Ezra in Rebels; his efforts to make sure his turtle friends stayed out of harm's way brought it back. (Though if this really was the OT, they would have defeated Thrawn and his army with their slingshots and bumper cars). 

During the many bits when I was bored, I thought about annoying plot twists. 

1. The whole planet is an illusion generated by an unknown power in the still-mysterious other galaxy. Only Baylan Skoll may have an idea of what's really going on. 

2. Ezra is a Force Ghost. The powers of the Witches of Dathomir/song of dying star whales/some plot MacGuffin etc. make him more solid than the kind we're used to. He disappears as Ahsoka's ship leaves the atmosphere. 

3. All of Filoni's Star Wars TV shows have been working towards a single ultimate end: a Doctor Who crossover movie. The last two episodes on Peridea, which does look rather like an abandoned Welsh quarry, have been the strongest signals yet. Huyang may be the Doctor's latest 'John Smith'. 

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

3. All of Filoni's Star Wars TV shows have been working towards a single ultimate end: a Doctor Who crossover movie. The last two episodes on Peridea, which does look rather like an abandoned Welsh quarry, have been the strongest signals yet. Huyang may be the Doctor's latest 'John Smith'. 

I’d watch that…

Ok forgive me

I've watched all the films atleast more than three times each. Even the ugh ones. But I could never bring myself to commit to a series other than Rebels and the Bad Batch and the Lego ones. So out of the remaining content

Clone Wars

Andor

Mandalorian

Obi Wan

Ahsoka

etc

I know the order ,sry here, but which can I give a miss and which are must watches

1 minute ago, TheLastWolf said:

I know the order ,sry here, but which can I give a miss and which are must watches

Andor is spectacular and can be watched without any awareness of anything that's come before. But Ahsoka and Obi Wan and Mandalorian (esp. season 3) and Clone Wars are all in some way or another connected. Like, it's not easy to understand Ahsoka without having first watched Rebels, which references - and is a sequel of sorts to - the Clone Wars. And Obi Wan requires some understanding of events from both to better appreciate narrative decisions made in that show.

Andor is therefore, the easiest to watch because it requires no commitment to previous shows/movies. 

1 minute ago, TheLastWolf said:

Ok forgive me

I've watched all the films atleast more than three times each. Even the ugh ones. But I could never bring myself to commit to a series other than Rebels and the Bad Batch and the Lego ones. So out of the remaining content

Clone Wars

Andor

Mandalorian

Obi Wan

Ahsoka

etc

hmm, in what context really? What do you think you'll miss if you don't watch these series? Quality storytelling or connections with stuff you've watched or future movies?

The Clone Wars fleshes out the period between Episodes II and III and develops some characters nicely, especially Anakin. And it introduces Ahsoka. The Bad Batch characters appear in the CW's final season, too. 

Andor is the best Star Wars show, hands down. It is more serious than anything else Star Wars has done, incredibly well written and acted. Fair warning, if you agree with this you might hate other SW productions as a result of watching this.

Obi-Wan was disappointing. It tries to say that he wasn't just sitting in the desert doing nothing for 20 years, but technically he does except for this one event that the show covers. Ultimately I don't feel it brought much to the grand scheme of things. So yeah, maybe this is the one to miss.

The Mandalorian and Ahsoka are the main shows right now creating lore in between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. Ahsoka requires Rebels and some Clone Wars knowledge. The Mandalorian is more self-contained other than the cameos that appear now and then. Both shows are generally fun, but I was disappointed with season 3 of The Mandalorian.

Andor is very good, though I tend to view it as not being especially Star Wars. It's a serious show and takes itself seriously. You might be bored in the first two episodes, but stick with it, because it does pay off. 

Clone Wars whatever you do, don't try and watch the whole thing. There are lots of online recommendations for the stand-out episodes/episode clusters. I'd put them in chronological order then go through them, though the order doesn't matter that much outside of the little story arcs within each set of episodes – only the later Clone Trooper and Ahsoka-Anakin episodes should be left till later. You'll probably quickly get an idea of which characters you want to see more of and which are like watching bantha shit dry. Clone Wars can be fun to dip into. Season 6 Episodes 1 through 4 were a highlight for me, but work better if you've seen earlier Clone Trooper episodes. 

What Corvinus said re Obi-Wan/The Mandalorian/Ahsoka. 

Edited by dog-days

Thank you fellas, i downloaded it for my kid brother but hey, we got generations hooked on this shit fr. I'll let him watch first and catch up.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Quality storytelling or connections with stuff you've watched or future movies?

mm, both

51 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

And uh, Tales of the Jedi and Book of Boba fett?

The latter is basically Mandalorian season 2.5. And Tales of the Jedi are like stories that take place between the Clone Wars, so even more lore/world building. Not for the faint of heart.

Clone Wars is a funny show for me. I really can pin point the exact moment I stopped enjoying it and it's season 4, episode 1 Water War. Don't get me wrong, there were good episodes after that point, but something about the frequency of them seemed to be off. It felt like for every good episode I got, I'd have to sit through about 3 I didn't.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Clone Wars is a funny show for me. I really can pin point the exact moment I stopped enjoying it and it's season 4, episode 1 Water War. Don't get me wrong, there were good episodes after that point, but something about the frequency of them seemed to be off. It felt like for every good episode I got, I'd have to sit through about 3 I didn't.

Skip directly to watch season 7, you’ll thank me later 

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Why did Water War bother you? Fighting in a different medium showed how expansive the CW could get.

54 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Skip directly to watch season 7, you’ll thank me later 

There are some important episodes in season 6 that link to how the show's ending. And others that expand the lore about the Force and link with Revenge of the Sith. And there is Darth Maul stuff in season 5.

45 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Why did Water War bother you? Fighting in a different medium showed how expansive the CW could get.

Can't tell you why, but it just bored the living daylights out of me. It felt like a filler episode of an anime. The episode with the Frog Man Jedi, being mean to the clones, was another one I really didn't like, from season 4. Maybe just season 4 as a whole was a bust for me, aside from those Darth Maul episodes, towards the end.

Edited by sifth