Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

I didn't know Inosanto was a stunt woman and martial artist, but yeah, she moved in a very convincing way and sold the choreography. 

All in all, I think this show was very pretty and I "got" the idea that it was basically a high fantasy take on Star Wars which is totally fine, but on a writing level it was at its best mediocre. Baylan Skoll was the most tantalizing part of it to me, and he was basically left a complete mystery who had no impact at all on the finale. It was deeply weird, and terribly sad that Ray Stevenson's last appearance in the role is just to stare off at some distant CGI mystery. RIP.

I'll watch a follow up, I guess, but I don't have great hopes. Filoni is not a good writer.

ETA: Thrawn calling Ashoka a ronin was immersion-breaking silliness. It feels like Filoni may have become Disney's own mini-Lucas, with no one willing to tell him no when he puts forward a bad idea or script.

Edited by Ran

I think Filoni is a good concept and ideas guy, but not a fantastic writer. You can see in a lot of the best stuff he's credited with, he worked closely in collaboration or even just stepped back and let others execute his ideas. He's very hands-off on The Bad Batch, for example, which I think might be the most consistently solid of the animated shows, even if it doesn't have the highest highs of Rebels or The Clone Wars, both of which he was also fairly hands-off on. He's certainly a much better writer than George Lucas-without-editing though.

I also think Filoni is a little bit too much in love with concepts that a great deal of the general fanbase are either indifferent to, or even mildly dislike. He might be better when paired with Favreau, who I think always approaches Star Wars material with an eye to "what will the general viewer who doesn't know who the fuck Revan is, think of this?" Filoni can get a little lost in the reeds.

All of that said, I think Ahsoka was generally pretty good, and nailed a great vibe with the Jedi off engaging some nebulous threat and the rest of the fleet gathering in the background and the villains score a victory but we know they'll be back for a rematch. There's something "core Star Wars" about this show which we haven't seen a lot of recently, or indeed at all (at least in live action) since maybe the OG trilogy. I think having the best villain since Vader and OT Emperor helped (PT Emperor was wrecked by McDiarmid going full panto dame in Ep 3). It could have been stronger though, the lightsabre duels were a mix of underwhelming but suddenly unleashed some pretty cool moves (the first Baylan/Ahsoka fight was the best, when he unleashes some very powerful raw strength and you see her having to adapt), and there was too much spinning in circles in the first three episodes.

Also, it just kinda ended in mid-flow? Not a major climactic showdown, and we didn't even get to see Ezra escape from the Chimaera. It doesn't feel like this is a good lead-in to the film, it does feel like a S2 or some kind of crossover in another show is needed to follow this up.

Generally a 7/10 with a couple of 8/10 episodes and even a few fleeting 10/10 visuals (some of the imagery was absolutely gorgeous, and epic).

Recast, certainly. I've no idea who I'd cast. Gerard Butler, maybe?

ETA: I see Liev Schreiber has also been suggested. If he can do the accent, he'd be my choice, off-hand. He's got the size and bulk, similar age, acting chops (moreso than Butler who seems content to be in one turkey of a film after another these days).

Edited by Ran

I saw a review over on Den of Geek that nailed one of the biggest problems I have about this show - it appears, largely, that not a single person gives any amount of shit about anything.

Okay, so, her home galaxy’s doomsday is imminent because she and her friends failed, and her reaction to this outcome is, “It’s time to move on?” Her zen demeanor is, to be fair, completely on-brand, particularly since she gained her newfound, unbreakable faith in the Force following her inter-dimensional heart-to-heart with Anakin a few episodes ago. But shouldn’t we be shown someone—anyone—reacting in panic and horror to literally the worst case scenario unfolding before their eyes? Thrawn is back, but why should we care if none of the characters do? We don’t even get to see Hera’s reaction to Thrawn’s impending return. It’s what her entire story arc revolved around! Where’s the drama?

Thrawn escapes? Ahsoka is stranded? "We are where we are supposed to be". Ahsoka says, serenely, looking about as high as Snoop Dog. If the characters don't care about it why should we? The only real emotional cues we have are via the music, and even that was relatively subdued. Sabine is kinda sad that Thrawn got away but...not really that bad? I think the most emotive thing on the show was Huyang, and that's not great. Even when we get what should be a momentous deal - Ezra coming back, meeting Hera - we have this bizarrely stupid choice to have him wearing the Stormtrooper armor when he's the only one on the shuttle and then (shockingly) reveal that he's back, instead of, ya know, him just calling the rebels and telling them that it's Ezra. 

And Thrawn's final taunt to Ahsoka, where he's calmly telling her how great she is and she's calmly not reacting to it...well, that's definitely a choice to make, and it certainly fits in with the PT vibe, but it's not particularly compelling to watch. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Recast, certainly. I've no idea who I'd cast. Gerard Butler, maybe?

ETA: I see Liev Schreiber has also been suggested. If he can do the accent, he'd be my choice, off-hand. He's got the size and bulk, similar age, acting chops (moreso than Butler who seems content to be in one turkey of a film after another these days).

Well Baylan is in a land of dreams and MADNESS. He can rename Peridea Sparta!

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Someone had a tweet up earlier today with Liev Schrieber being all bearded and scruffy and looking a lot like Ray...

Henry Cavill doesn't look bad with white hair. Just give him a beard. :P And he can fight with a sword. 

Nah, Schreiber might be a good choice. Maybe Sam Heugan or Graham McTavish; one's younger but can do the action role, the other a few years older, but can probably still pull it off.

Edited by Corvinus85

Mandalorian still remains the best Star Wars tv show (S1-2), followed by Star Wars visions, CW (2003,2008) and then I’d rate Ashoka and Rebels chiefly on par with each other. Tales of the Jedi was meh and the others I haven’t fully seen cause they were too boring. Hoping that Skeleton Crew turns out to be  better than this though 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

I wasn’t kidding about Ben Affleck, but mostly I just don’t care.

I’m not tuning in to season 2. This show was shit and it got massive praise for being shit; thus guaranteeing more shit for season 2. I got spoiled binging The Expanse before watching this. You know, “a good show”? And yes, there are about a dozen different things I could rattle off that I liked about Ashoka, but why bother?

As for replacements, there are a few British actors I’d also be looking at: Richard Armitage, Damian Lewis, a few more whose names were already mentioned are good too. The new guy doesn’t have to be a Stevenson clone. 

6 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I wasn’t kidding about Ben Affleck, but mostly I just don’t care.

I’m not tuning in to season 2. This show was shit and it got massive praise for being shit; thus guaranteeing more shit for season 2. I got spoiled binging The Expanse before watching this. You know, “a good show”? And yes, there are about a dozen different things I could rattle off that I liked about Ashoka, but why bother?

It didn’t match up to Mando but it’s far from shit, considering the bar in SW these days.

14 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

The bar for modern Star Wars is the prequels. A show can clear it and still be really shit. 

Did it though? 

Ashoka felt like a 120-150 minute film that was stretched out to a 5-6 hour runtime. 

Oooooooh don’t get me started. You almost got me started.

And I’ll look down and whisper, “prequel fight”.