Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

YAWWWWNNN!

eh?

Not as good as the previous episode, but Lars Mikkelsen is great, and I appreciated more background on Baylan Skoll.

And all those who predicted another Tatooine - you were wrong! Well, except there were some sort of Tusken raiders.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

eh?

Not as good as the previous episode, but Lars Mikkelsen is great, and I appreciated more background on Baylan Skoll.

And all those who predicted another Tatooine - you were wrong! Well, except there were some sort of Tusken raiders.

I like Lars Mikkelson.  He exudes threat as Thrawn.  It was just kinda… meh (and I couldn’t resist… :P ) 

How is Ezra going to react when he finds out the only way Sabine knows to get home?  Poorly, I have to assume.  Baylan is interesting.  I still don’t understand his angle.

Trying to play catch-up on Ahsoka, and am on episode 2 of 6 so far. Terrific FX, a surprisingly subdued score from Kevin Kiner and co., and DEAR GOD WHY IS EVERYONE SO WOODEN. It's like every human actor was replaced with droids. In fact the least wooden actors here are Tennant AS A DROID and Ray Stevenson as General Sith Beard, aka Beardius Maximum. 

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I've often wondered what Data would like like if he had blue skin and wore white...

Ha ha…I was thinking the exact same thing!  He even kind of speaks with the cold logic that Data does.

It’s interesting to hear everybody’s varying opinions on what movies/shows/scenes people like across the Star Wars franchise.  Very little consensus on things…and that’s okay.

I’m finding Ahsoka to be pretty mediocre, although I think I would appreciate it more had I watched The Clone Wars and Rebels shows.  It’s just so tough to go from Andor to Mandalorian Season 3 and Ahsoka.

Edited by Rubicante

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Baylan is interesting.  I still don’t understand his angle.

I'm thinking Filoni is digging deep and Baylan wants to return to the time before the Jedi, to the time of the Je'daii or their predecessors the Bendu Order (which I see via the SW wiki has apparently been referenced in The Mandalorian). That would make sense of what he means by going to the "beginning". The Je'daii in particular believed that the Force had light and dark aspects... and believed that practicioners should use both sides in balance rather than swaying too far towards one or the other.

That was an all right episode. Thrawn... my image of him is purely from the Zahn trilogy (and Lucasarts' TIE FIGHTER), so it's not exactly how I imagine him, but it's pretty good. The coolness and unruffled nature certainly is right. I guess I expected him to hold some sort of commentary on Nightsister art, or something about Mandalorian design aesthetics...

Speaking of aesthetics, the culty stormtroopers were pretty neat -- particularly the way they apparently used something like kintsugi to repair broken/cracked armor, another nod to Japanese art and culture in the series.

I rolled my eyes a bit at Sabine and the Howler, but also had to smile -- that's very tropey, very cartoony scene, but they did a good job with the critter. 

Edited by Ran

Having just binged the entire season in one afternoon/evening, I must say the latest episode is also the strongest, as characters feel more relaxed, less robotic, and more emotional. 

Absolutely enjoyed the sight gags with the howler, and the crab people. Thrawn's resemblance to a mashup of Data and the Muskoid is slightly unsettling, and Darth Bangs continued being unsettling in this episode, as she's been in each one so far, like some kind of heavily armed and dangerous feral child. 

The music, sound, and editing were all top notch in episode 6, and leaves me wondering how the heck this can all be nicely wrapped up in two more episodes in a satisfactory manner. I can't help but wonder if he's setting up Thrawn to be the big bad in the Star Wars movie he's directing, which will - inevitably - tie into the *sigh* nonsensical First Order of the sequel trilogy era. 

This was pure Star Wars. The slightly goofy, friendly aliens, the non-verbal creatures with a vague comedy presence, the evil-but-competent Imperial commander planning stuff with more mystical bad guy Force-users, some stunning vfx (the arrival of the Chimera is an all-time epic shot), the young callow hero(ine) being somewhat out of her depth but also competent enough to deal with the situations. Thrawn is very hard to get right but they seem to be doing a really good job, and the actor playing Ezra is pretty spot-on. It's also doing an interesting mix of deepish lore cuts (the idea of Bokken Jedi, the Dathomiri witches) and new stuff, even if some of the new stuff is a remix of the old stuff (non-Tusken Raiders and Ewoks-but-they're-turtles-I-guess).

The show was far too slow to start with, but the last two episodes were outstanding. And it's odd that it's taken this long for someone to actually say "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." in dialogue (and it's amusing that it's Doctor Who who gets to say it).

My guess is that next week is Ahsoka arriving and trying to stop their departure, and in the last episode Thrawn returns to the SW Galaxy and wreaks some havoc, leaving things on a cliffhanger for the movie. Which I'm guessing they were expecting to be shooting by now and out next year, which now won't be the case due to the strike.

Edited by Werthead

6 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Which I'm guessing they were expecting to be shooting by now and out next year, which now won't be the case due to the strike.

This is a huge relief to me. There's been just TOO much put out and it makes my anxieties flare up at the thought of even trying to play catch-up. Having some breathing room so new shows and movies feel special and out there for a reason and not just because Corporate HQ demands new material. 

The slowdown among SW and MCU is really really nice from that perspective alone. 

And hopefully this will also provide more time to really polish the scripts and VFX (bonus improved labor laws for the win!).

Yeah the Howler worked for me. Sometimes when it's really solid knowing how it's going to play out just enhances it, I don't know I needed a wolf/horse hybrid but I did. Personality wise that is, not looks - although they did give it some horse body language and sounds.