Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

48 minutes ago, Werthead said:

My guess is that next week is Ahsoka arriving and trying to stop their departure, and in the last episode Thrawn returns to the SW Galaxy and wreaks some havoc, leaving things on a cliffhanger for the movie. Which I'm guessing they were expecting to be shooting by now and out next year, which now won't be the case due to the strike.

So this is only season then? I thought they may have a second season, then the movie that brings together a bunch of characters. And we might need one season of that New Republic Rangers show before the all out Avengers movie with Thrawn as the big bad.

The meta-ness of the intro was a bit cheesy. A three-part story that starts in a galaxy far, far away and the first part is the best? Sounds like fans talking about the three trilogies.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

So this is only season then? I thought they may have a second season, then the movie that brings together a bunch of characters. And we might need one season of that New Republic Rangers show before the all out Avengers movie with Thrawn as the big bad.

I don't think the schedule allows them to fit it in, unless they film S2 and the movie together and the season comes out and leads into the film. But they probably want the film to stand alone enough for casual viewers, so it might not be that involved. I suspect the temptation might be to have the Mandalorian show up in the film as the main protagonist just because he's not as involved in what's going on, so people can explain to him who Thrawn is and what the stakes are.

I suspect they also need the film because there's no way that Leia and Luke are uninvolved in that story and they need a movie CG budget to have them in it, even if briefly in the background. If they do the Siege of Coruscant storyline (where Thrawn puts a storm of cloaked asteroids into Coruscant orbit so no ship can take off without risking crashing into one), that makes sense because they then have an explanation why Leia and Luke might be cut off and not able to help out directly. Although at this point I think they should just recast and say fuck it.

3 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I suspect they also need the film because there's no way that Leia and Luke are uninvolved in that story and they need a movie CG budget to have them in it, even if briefly in the background. If they do the Siege of Coruscant storyline (where Thrawn puts a storm of cloaked asteroids into Coruscant orbit so no ship can take off without risking crashing into one), that makes sense because they then have an explanation why Leia and Luke might be cut off and not able to help out directly. Although at this point I think they should just recast and say fuck it.

No bro, this is Star Wars not some fucking James Bond movie. Make new characters instead. 

22 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

No bro, this is Star Wars not some fucking James Bond movie. Make new characters instead. 

They've already recast half the cast of Rebels, Han Solo, Lando Calrissian and Mon Mothma (who's in this very series!), so they might as well go the whole hog since the creepy CG thing (though getting better) still isn't quite cutting it, and is monstrously expensive.

And in the timeframe they have, if they have Grand Admiral Thrawn invading the New Republic with the Nightsisters of Dathomir, there is no way that Leia (now canonically a senior Senator with military experience) and Luke don't get involved in that.

Please...every time they've set a movie up with new characters, they've been reviled...at least for the sequel trilogy...

I think it is time to go with a recast/modern casting for Luke, Leia, et al...people will accept it...maybe...

Would too much time between now and the eventual movie be a detriment...? And by going full steam ahead with Thrawn as a big bad, it's almost as though the plan isn't to so much de-canonize the Sequels, so much as ignore they exist for the most part...?

Young Han Solo didn’t work for me either, I don’t care about mon mothma and the other minor characters, but nobody can replace mark or carrie as those iconic characters. Star Wars is already teethering on creative bankruptcy, let’s not encourage them to get even more lazy and recast iconic characters instead of creating new things…I don’t want CG for dead actors but for mark ill accept it….once recasting is established for main characters, it’s just one step away from remaking the movies as well remember…

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Yeah the Howler worked for me. Sometimes when it's really solid knowing how it's going to play out just enhances it, I don't know I needed a wolf/horse hybrid but I did. Personality wise that is, not looks - although they did give it some horse body language and sounds.

Looked more like a rat horse hybrid to me.

16 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Young Han Solo didn’t work for me either, I don’t care about mon mothma and the other minor characters, but nobody can replace mark or carrie as those iconic characters. Star Wars is already teethering on creative bankruptcy, let’s not encourage them to get even more lazy and recast iconic characters instead of creating new things…I don’t want CG for dead actors but for mark ill accept it….once recasting is established for main characters, it’s just one step away from remaking the movies as well remember…

Mon Mothma… the chancellor of the new Republic is hardly a “minor” character.

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Well, she was a blink and you missed her in Return of the Jedi. I remember as a kid having no idea who she or General Nadine (?) were and why they were giving orders before disappearing.

That said, I love that the current actress has carried the torch since Ep3 and made the character hers. 

3 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Well, she was a blink and you missed her in Return of the Jedi. I remember as a kid having no idea who she or General Nadine (?) were and why they were giving orders before disappearing.

That said, I love that the current actress has carried the torch since Ep3 and made the character hers. 

To quote family guy, I only remembered her as the only other chick in the galaxy :P 

49 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I think it is time to go with a recast/modern casting for Luke, Leia, et al...people will accept it...maybe...

Just tell new stories. Clinging to these old characters is misguided. 

33 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Looked more like a rat horse hybrid to me.

I can see where you'd get that from, I'd say the name "Howler" and Filoni having a documented love of wolves and a desire to get them into his work is a couple of points in my favour though :p 

Just now, karaddin said:

I can see where you'd get that from, I'd say the name "Howler" and Filoni having a documented love of wolves and a desire to get them into his work is a couple of points in my favour though :p 

Attempts to make “rideable” wolves has never gone well.  They looked like evil giant gophers in The Two Towers then anything but a wolf in the “Hobbit” films.  

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

She is absolutely a minor character in the overall scheme of things.  She made a very brief appearance in ROTJ - where she was not called by name, nor was her position mentioned - she was just presented as some sort of figure with authority.  She was cut out of the prequels altogether, and her fate was not mentioned in the sequel trilogy (as much as many people would like to dismiss both the PT and ST).  She got some screen time in Rogue One (I can't recall if her name was actually used), and then of course she was a main character in Andor.  But in the overall SW universe...no.  Prior to Andor (maybe R1), we only really knew her name and position from secondary sources.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Please...every time they've set a movie up with new characters, they've been reviled...at least for the sequel trilogy...

Would too much time between now and the eventual movie be a detriment...? And by going full steam ahead with Thrawn as a big bad, it's almost as though the plan isn't to so much de-canonize the Sequels, so much as ignore they exist for the most part...?

They're re-contextualising the sequels. We've already had Gideon's cloning experiments clearly setting up Snoke (and then the resurrected Emperor), and I think at this juncture it's clear that Thrawn will be, effectively, the founder or re-organiser of the Imperial Remnants into the First Order, or will at least inspire that sequence of events.

Hell, he's even off-hand explained how somebody as incompetent as Hux is anywhere near high rank in the sequels: he got the job through his much more talented dad.

This is what Filoni does, it's what he did during the Clone Wars as well, taking Lucas's good-but-poorly-executed ideas and making them sing better, and using the toybox of the Expanded Universe to provide the pieces to bring the older fans on board.

2 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Per someone on Reddit: "There were a lot of great things about this episode, but my main takeaway is crabs are friends, not food."

Tortoise-Prawns

Pretty sure most of those Stormtroopers are dead, and reanimated by the Night Witches.

BTW The lead Great Mother is played by Claudia Black.

7 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Pretty sure most of those Stormtroopers are dead, and reanimated by the Night Witches.

I've seen that theory online, and it's possible, since the subtitles described them as Night Troopers. But I wonder if the Howler wolf wouldn't have been scared shitless in the presence of undead. Another theory is that they were simply juiced up by Nightsister magic, like Savage Oppress.

9 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

BTW The lead Great Mother is played by Claudia Black.

Claudia Black in Star Wars? Yes!!!