Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

Well that was an episode...............were we suppose to feel something when C3-P0 showed up?

Honestly Hera's entire story this season feels like filler or very close to being it. Why does Thrawn even bother fighting Ezra, Sabine and Ahsoka. He could just leave.

I liked the episode but if felt more like episode 3, too short, with fun action but not enough character exploration.

I thought the Hera scene was fine, and it was better than other scenes where holograms were involved. I've no idea why people think it was bad. The chase and fight scene with the Noti and the raiders reminded me of Jackson's LOTR: The Two Towers warg fight. Honestly, I was less impressed by the 2nd round of Baylan vs Ahsoka. It didn't really need to happen and the choreography was weaker than most other duels we've seen so far.

There was nothing especially wrong with the latest episode...except it felt a little like an episode that was split up to stretch the story...a little...

And the whole Hera subplot, and the Senator coming to her aid, via an emissary for a little fan service/conective tissue to the OT, is feeling a whole lot like Filoni setting up some groundwork to clean up some of the ST mess...

11 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I thought he did a decent job the previous episode explaining, but

Hide contents

it is curious he was ready to abandon his apprentice. My guess that's the dark side in him, seducing him to act selfishly. There are theories about he's after, but considering the internet's current track record, I won't discuss. :P I did like that he was a wild card in Thrawn's strategy, eventually tipping the balance of power in the fight away from Thrawn's forces.

I thought he did a decent job the previous episode explaining, but

No idea, but the 2 force users keep getting called mercenaries. Which implies they are getting paid. Paid what is the question. I imagine it's not just credits and that it goes to Skoll, not the apprentice.

I prefer to hope that he's going to build a restort world out there and invite his true love, Lucius Vorenus.

4 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

No idea, but the 2 force users keep getting called mercenaries. Which implies they are getting paid. Paid what is the question. I imagine it's not just credits and that it goes to Skoll, not the apprentice.

I prefer to hope that he's going to build a restort world out there and invite his true love, Lucius Vorenus.

Not Republic credits. Republic credits are no good here. :P

I would love it if McKidd got cast in some live-action SW role. Both of them voiced Mandalorians in Rebels, with Stevenson voicing a villain who dies eventually and McKidd voicing a good guy whose fate is unknown at this point. Possibly dead since he didn't appear in The Mandalorian

5 hours ago, sifth said:

Well that was an episode...............were we suppose to feel something when C3-P0 showed up?

She stands?!? Mon Mothma stands when C3P0 enters a room?

-

I was going to comment on the latest episode but no. I'm done. I so wanted to like this but I just don't; and now I just don't care. 

Based on the (utterly baffling) reaction from fans and critics, I get that this puts me in a tiny minority. And there is a possibility that I could revisit this someday and fall in love with it, because that's happened before too. But for the time being, no, I'm out. 

29 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Based on the (utterly baffling) reaction from fans and critics, I get that this puts me in a tiny minority. And there is a possibility that I could revisit this someday and fall in love with it, because that's happened before too. But for the time being, no, I'm out. 

Doesn't the completionist in you demand just one more episode? :D

8 hours ago, sifth said:

Honestly Hera's entire story this season feels like filler or very close to being it. Why does Thrawn even bother fighting Ezra, Sabine and Ahsoka. He could just leave.

I think the explanation was he was buying time to keep filling up his ships with coffins/bodies from the catacombs.  Yea, I know that's kind of paper thin, but :dunno:

I think we're supposed to come away with the idea that Thrawn is some sort of tactical genius because he's using his troops to buy time so he can get his fill of bodies and leave.  

BTW, I guess it doesn't matter if they are "night troopers" or "storm troopers" they both seem just as inept.  I was kind of hoping we'd see something cool happen, like after they were mowed down, they started rising again.  But no, I guess they're just regular stormtroopers with more bling.

Over all though, I enjoyed the episode well enough, even though it didn't move the plot along very much.  They probably should have used this episode to set up a conflict between Ezra and Sabine over what she did to get to him, so they could get that out of the way before the last episode.

This episode felt like a step back, as others have said. Thoroughly mediocre, fan service live action cartoon, stilted dialog and pregnant pauses galore. 

I want them to get on with telling us what Baylan Skoll wants, which is really one of the only intriguing things about this series. Everything else is, sadly, simply going through the motions. No doubt if you watched Rebels you'll get a lot more out of, because of Ezra.

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

Everything else is, sadly, simply going through the motions. No doubt if you watched Rebels you'll get a lot more out of, because of Ezra.

Can't say that I am, despite having watched Rebels just this summer. The conversation between Sabine and Ezra seemed wholly wooden, because they don't want her to reveal anything important that will make Ezra demand they take action. This must only happen next week, so the characters have stilted dialog that makes you want to reach into the screen and shake Sabine. Nothing about this arc reminds me of the character from the animated show, and its purely down to the bad writing and dialog.

Edited by fionwe1987

1 minute ago, fionwe1987 said:

Can't say that I am, despite having watched Rebels just this summer. The conversation between Sabine and Ezra seemed wholly wooden, because they don't want her to reveal anything important that will make Ezra demand they take action. This must only happen next week, so the characters have stilted dialog that makes you want to reach into the screen and shake Sabine. Nothing about this arc reminds me of the character from the animated show, and its purely down to the bad writing and dialog.

Yeah, this. There wasn't anything special about Ezra in this that made me think about him in Rebels or endear him. There was a vague hint that he might command the howlers to go do something but...he didn't. He didn't bust out the saber, he kind of used force pushing a bit but nothing special. It was just kinda...there. 

And as I said earlier Sabine and Skoll both being Super Mysterious for no good reason just felt stupid. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

I want them to get on with telling us what Baylan Skoll wants, which is really one of the only intriguing things about this series. Everything else is, sadly, simply going through the motions. No doubt if you watched Rebels you'll get a lot more out of, because of Ezra.

I watched Rebels and didn't get a lot more out of it, because of Ezra, lol

Edited by sifth

10 hours ago, sifth said:

Why does Thrawn even bother fighting Ezra, Sabine and Ahsoka. He could just leave.

Thrawn is buying time to load the ship, which is why he doesn't 'just leave'. It will take 3 cycles. It's been laid out clearly that this is why he's aiming to buy time, and that actually he'd rather not fight Ezra and the rest at all, and will only do so to distract them to that end.

Also, I've never watched Rebels so I've never encountered these characters, but surely it's obvious that Sabine is not being 'mysterious', she's avoiding Ezra's questions because she knows when he finds out what she did, he'll react very badly, and after their separation, she just wants to enjoy their reunion for a bit before that happens?

3 minutes ago, mormont said:

Also, I've never watched Rebels so I've never encountered these characters, but surely it's obvious that Sabine is not being 'mysterious', she's avoiding Ezra's questions because she knows when he finds out what she did, he'll react very badly, and after their separation, she just wants to enjoy their reunion for a bit before that happens?

it's true that she thinks that. It's not remotely Ezra's character to actually act badly in this case; that's a bit of Sabine projecting. Heck, we see that in this episode where Ezra asks and she says it's complicated and Ezra says 'so...pretty bad then?' He's used to these kinds of horrible odds and weird escapes. 

Put it another way - I bet that when Ezra finds out about this absolutely nothing special is going to happen

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

Thrawn is buying time to load the ship, which is why he doesn't 'just leave'. It will take 3 cycles. It's been laid out clearly that this is why he's aiming to buy time, and that actually he'd rather not fight Ezra and the rest at all, and will only do so to distract them to that end.

Load the ship with what and why? Also his strategy was honestly very basic for a so called master strategist. He reminded me of a Naruto villain, "no losing that fight, was actually part of my plan the entire time"; I usually hate BS writing like that.

I'm okay not knowing what they're loading onto the ship yet. If I had to guess based on Jedi Outcast it'd be mummified Dathomir and they're going to raise them as zombie army people. But it's not really that big a deal to not know (yet) - all we need to know is that Thrawn made a deal that he'd transport them back in exchange for their help.

Now, a better question is why they didn't load these things up in the YEARS they had for prep time and...I don't know. Thrawn is a master tactician who is also absolute shit at logistics I guess. 

24 minutes ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Now, a better question is why they didn't load these things up in the YEARS they had for prep time and...I don't know. Thrawn is a master tactician who is also absolute shit at logistics I guess. 

Based on Thrawn's very first dialogue it seemed to me that he was only going to complete his end of the bargain once he knew he had a way to leave. Thrawn likely never had total faith in the Great Mothers until Morgan finally showed. In Rebels he clearly had trouble understanding the Force, which is why he could never anticipate what Ezra pulled off, so I can see him holding off on his part. And everything related to Ahsoka and Sabine was out of his control; this was supposed to be a secret operation.

Edited by Corvinus85