Star Wars - PTTSD

DaveSumm

I've eluded to it before, but its a done deal now. Season 2 of Andor will be the last SW content I will consume, or care about. Disney can suck a fat eggplant. How do you take Thrawn and turn him into an ineffective blue ... nothing? How do you take this imposing figure and make him seem weak and frumpy? Whatever, not even worth ranting about. 

It's been a good run SW, sort of. Well, maybe not really. But... thank you for the childhood inspirations. Byeeeeeeee.

Edited by Relic

Clearly, the problem is Kathleen Kennedy, and clearly Dave Filoni needs to come in and fix things.

Sorry, I've just been told that this was created entirely by Dave Filoni using almost exclusively characters he invented or stole from other sources.

So...maybe we need to hire Dave Filoni's more handsome, mustachioed brother?

3 hours ago, Relic said:

I've eluded to it before, but its a done deal now. Season 2 of Andor will be the last SW content I will consume, or care about. Disney can suck a fat eggplant. How do you take Thrawn and turn him into an ineffective blue ... nothing? How do you take this imposing figure and make him seem weak and frumpy? Whatever, not even worth ranting about. 

It's been a good run SW, sort of. Well, maybe not really. But... thank you for the childhood inspirations. Byeeeeeeee.

You say that, but what if (the un-Filoni-affiliated) The Acolyte fucking slaps? 

On the other end of the tonal scale, although it's less to my specific tastes of what i want in Star Wars and coming from creators I tend to like-okay-but-not-love (Watts and Ford), Skeleton Crew isn't a Filoni joint and so has a good chance of being... well, not filled with Filonisms. 

4 hours ago, Relic said:

Yeah. That's basically where I've been for a while now. I've got the SW that's precious to me and that's enough. That's OK.

I haven't sworn it off completely, but I'm not a "fan" anymore. I don't care about spoilers. 'Don't care about leaks. I don't anticipate any of it and I can miss a good deal of it and not get anxious. It's fine. 

1 hour ago, Kalnak the Magnificent said:

Clearly, the problem is Kathleen Kennedy, and clearly Dave Filoni needs to come in and fix things.

Sorry, I've just been told that this was created entirely by Dave Filoni using almost exclusively characters he invented or stole from other sources.

So...maybe we need to hire Dave Filoni's more handsome, mustachioed brother?

Some thoughts:

I don't think the director really matters. The whole thing gets filtered through Disney / Lucasfilm's production system. I don't think there is any combination of individual elements that could be swapped out to substantially change the result. The machine, man.

In case you haven't been paying attention, The critics love this show. The vegetable consensus has deemed it a hit. There is also no shortage of user-generated content; featuring reaction videos with regular schmucks gleefully squealing when this character or that easter egg appears. There is a shocking level of consensus on this.

So, it would appear that for SW ever shrinking fanbase*, this series delivered exactly what they wanted. Well done them.

*search your feelings...

29 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

You say that, but what if (the un-Filoni-affiliated) The Acolyte fucking slaps? 

I was going to say, "I have no faith...", but Russian Doll was basically Leslye Headland's creation and that abso-fucking-lutely slaps, so yeah, maybe a little faith.

It won't be great, but it could be pretty good. 

This finale pretty much sums up a lot of everything that is wrong with the streaming model.  8 episodes is simply not in any way conducive to telling a story that wants to have scale, or depth.  Complain Baylon Skoll is wasted, but giving him more airtime now means less of another character.  I won't say there aren't flaws to the old network model of 22-24 episodes a season, but if there are more stories to tell, then give the show's the time to tell them.  I suspect the writing will, of you think it's weak now, tightens up because there's room to give all the characters more time to grow and be written with the time to grow. 

For instance, the critique of Ezra refusing to take his old lightsaber from Sabine one episode and then straight away building a new one the very next episode. I get it seems strange, but I'd also gotten a sense that something else was at play, that he didn't feel it was his anymore and that's why he wouldn't take it...but whether that was the reason, or it was something else...well more episodes might have allowed for some follow up there that would help explore who Ezra was now after close to a decade in exile...

I might not have walked away from this ending of Ahsoka Season 1 feeling quite so unfulfilled of I knew, at the least, that this had just been the first 8 episodes of a split season with 7 or 8 more coming in a couple months...

That being said, I liked this show. I did! There is a number of really interesting elements presented. Whether you like the acting or now, there was actual meat to that story...and it felt like it could go somewhere (sequel trilogies be damned...)

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What was the point of Baylan Skoll?

Slow ass set up for the next big threat, I suspect, but I'm not familiar with much of CWs or Rebels.

So, not being versed in either of those is what maybe allowed me to be ok with Ahsoka [despite the samurai stylings, I mean, Thrawn even called her a fucking Ronin lol] Now, if Stevenson hadn't died I'd be 100 down to carry on with whatever continues Baylan's arc, but I just don't know.

Shin Hati also seems to be going in some borderline off-direction, but... [spreads hands]

So the kind of backstory fanwankery is something like this:

In Clone Wars the gang (Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka) ran into this trio of force...gods, basically called the Mortis gods (because they showed up on the super force-powered planet Mortis). The three figures that Ahsoka saw at the beginning of the show were a reference to that, and they've shown up repeatedly in CW and Rebels. They are supposed to be something like the archetypes of the Force - the world force, the living force, and the dark side of the force (or something). They're supposed to be kind of the origin of the force or at least exceedingly powerful.

And, more importantly, the daughter one - who is supposed to represent the light side - is also associated with the Mother - who in some (non-canonical stuff) was known as Abeloth. The bird thing that we see at the end is associated with Ahsoka as well, and was on the arm of one of the three gods (the daughter)

And Peridea - where they ended up - may be the birthplace of them, given the statues and the map room thingy that Ahsoka found earlier. 

Baylan standing on the statue of the Father is interesting because one of the statues is missing - the Daughter. Which vaguely implies that they may either have been wiped out, or they're actually alive somehow, and running around. 

And Baylan I think is looking for that source of that power, going back to the origin of the force gods and possibly replacing one of them.  

A lot of people are hopeful that this means Baylan is going to try and get the Mother out and get some real cosmic horror shit going. My suspicion is that he's going to try and become one of the Mortis gods. 

Now, would you know any of this if you weren't a major geek who watched very specific parts of CW, Rebels, a couple of books and whatnot? Not at all! Was it mentioned even once in this show? Nope! 

So the kind of backstory fanwankery is something like this:

In Clone Wars the gang (Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka) ran into this trio of force...gods, basically called the Mortis gods (because they showed up on the super force-powered planet Mortis). The three figures that Ahsoka saw at the beginning of the show were a reference to that, and they've shown up repeatedly in CW and Rebels. They are supposed to be something like the archetypes of the Force - the world force, the living force, and the dark side of the force (or something). They're supposed to be kind of the origin of the force or at least exceedingly powerful.

And, more importantly, the daughter one - who is supposed to represent the light side - is also associated with the Mother - who in some (non-canonical stuff) was known as Abeloth. The bird thing that we see at the end is associated with Ahsoka as well, and was on the arm of one of the three gods (the daughter)

And Peridea - where they ended up - may be the birthplace of them, given the statues and the map room thingy that Ahsoka found earlier. 

Baylan standing on the statue of the Father is interesting because one of the statues is missing - the Daughter. Which vaguely implies that they may either have been wiped out, or they're actually alive somehow, and running around. 

And Baylan I think is looking for that source of that power, going back to the origin of the force gods and possibly replacing one of them.  

A lot of people are hopeful that this means Baylan is going to try and get the Mother out and get some real cosmic horror shit going. My suspicion is that he's going to try and become one of the Mortis gods. 

Now, would you know any of this if you weren't a major geek who watched very specific parts of CW, Rebels, a couple of books and whatnot? Not at all! Was it mentioned even once in this show? Nope! 

Thank you, Kal lol

And this is what happens when building out/expanding on lore supplants actually telling a complete story with a beginning, middle, and an end. 

What's even worse is that there's no reason for Baylan not to talk about this stuff. Or Ahsoka! Like, she could tell Sabine that she found this in a temple absolutely festooned with these Mortis gods so it gives us something to understand. It would even give us some vague reason that Ahsoka is okay being marooned out there - she could give a stupid throwaway line like 'I was guided to Peridea from a temple dedicated to the Mortis gods and I know Baylan is going after them, too". 

Or Sabine could even ask her!

Or people could fucking talk to each other and share information and not be high as fucking Jordan Belfort. 

Just...please, storytelling folks - tell your audience why they should give an actual fuck. Show your characters actually being afraid that they released Thrawn - or afraid of going back without stopping Skoll, or something. Obi-Wan, at least, showed us that he actually cares about saving Leia, even if she was hiding in a trenchcoat. 

13 hours ago, Relic said:

Cmon man, you know you won’t be able to resist,you will keep watching and ranting about SW content in an endless cycle like the rest of us unfortunate nerds :P 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II