UK Politics: Tory Closing Down Sale- Everything Must Go

polishgenius

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It’s a reference to DMC, who is there both literally and figuratively.  :(

Who is literally in Florida, and banned (so the forum's equivalent to prison (temp) or death (perm)in a manner of speaking).

And since spocky's most recent activity before his *holiday* was in the Israel-Hamas/Palestine threads, I considered him managing to talk himself into a ban a real possibility.

But yes, I agree with the general concept of replacing the word Purgatory with Florida.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

O most fortunate UK -- Peter Thiel believes he should take over health care!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/nov/21/palantir-peter-thiel-nhs-natural-target-outspoken-tech-billionaire

Here's a sample from the US of what the UK can get:

https://arstechnica.com/health/2023/11/ai-with-90-error-rate-forces-elderly-out-of-rehab-nursing-homes-suit-claims/

Edited by Zorral

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

I saw that the other day. My main takeaway wa that it’s not surprising that the Tories are in trouble when even the Young Conservative Network admits they don’t have a single policy that inspires young voters, even avowedly Conservative young voters. 

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And since spocky's most recent activity before his *holiday* was in the Israel-Hamas/Palestine threads, I considered him managing to talk himself into a ban a real possibility.

I can neither conform nor deny.

I have spent the past four weeks strengthening my bid to become the anti-Elon. All I can really say right now is that things are progressing well, and that musky fucker better watch his back. Because imma gonna buy everything he owns. :P

Edited by Spockydog

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

At least scum is just what's floating on the top, he should be happy not to be identified as the toxic sludge upon which he is floating.

The highlight of PMQS today.

Daniel Zeichner (Lab, Cambridge) did what almost amounted to an actual funny by an MP, asking about Sunak’s recent love-in with Silicon Valley’s chief bro Elon Musk. “What exactly did the prime minister think he might learn from an unelected super-rich individual who had taken over a once-successful organisation and plunged it into a death spiral?” he chortled as Radio 4 satire bookers reached for their phones. Sunak found it less amusing. “What the rest of the world saw was the UK playing a lead in defining the regulations to a technology that is gonna transform how we live,” he insisted, wrongly.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/pmqs-review-rishi-sunak-taunted-over-nhs-and-musk-as-tory-calls-stockton-north-a-shithole/

Nice little side income ;)

Revealed: King Charles secretly profiting from the assets of dead citizens

Exclusive: Assets of thousands of people in north-west England used to upgrade king’s property empire via archaic custom

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/23/revealed-king-charles-secretly-profiting-from-the-assets-of-dead-citizens

4 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Exclusive: Assets of thousands of people in north-west England used to upgrade king’s property empire via archaic custom

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/23/revealed-king-charles-secretly-profiting-from-the-assets-of-dead-citizens

Apparently the policy was in effect for Queen Elizabeth and  there was no outcry then. People will forgive anything that Liz did but not for Chuck.

I have no like for the monarchy but less so for hypocrisy. 

Edited by maarsen

16 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Uh, in Canada the “Crown” ie the provincial government, gets the assets if a person dies intestate with no lineal descendants. In this case it’s the actual Crown. What happens in all the other areas of the UK? Don’t the assets also escheat to the Crown?

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Uh, in Canada the “Crown” ie the provincial government, gets the assets if a person dies intestate with no lineal descendants. In this case it’s the actual Crown. What happens in all the other areas of the UK? Don’t the assets also escheat to the Crown?

The difference is in the case of Commonwealth countries "The Crown" means public ownership, in theory for the benefit of the public at large. In the UK is means private ownership by the sovereign, to be used as the sovereign sees fit but mostly, though not entirely it would seem, given over to charitable uses for PR purposes.

A change of sovereign is a good time to look into the practices and traditions that largely went unnoticed, and change things for the better. I think it's good for criticism and demands for change to come now with the change in sovereign even if it does seem hypocritical to have "let Liz get away with it" for 75 or so years. It shouldn't be directed as a criticism of Charles, since he's doing what the law allows, but rather a criticism of what the law actually allows the sovereign to do.

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

In the case we're talking about here, the assets aren't going to the Crown, they're going to the Duchy of Lancaster, an altogether different organisation run for the benefit of the current monarch. And this is the estates of all people who die without a will, even if they have descendants.

Cornwall has the same system, but going to the Prince of Wales rather than the monarch.

Everywhere else the estates of people who die intestate go to the government in the way you might expect.

7 hours ago, Denvek said:

In the case we're talking about here, the assets aren't going to the Crown, they're going to the Duchy of Lancaster, an altogether different organisation run for the benefit of the current monarch. And this is the estates of all people who die without a will, even if they have descendants.

Cornwall has the same system, but going to the Prince of Wales rather than the monarch.

Everywhere else the estates of people who die intestate go to the government in the way you might expect.

As a lawyer taught basically under the precepts of English law, I doubt that all the property of people who die intestate goes to either the crown, the PoW or the government. Every country has a hierarchy of inheritance in the event of intestacy.

A quick Google tells me it’s the same in the UK, and just like Canada (or, probably more likely, Canada, just like the UK) there are monetary triggers, all the estate going to the spouse if the value is below a certain threshold, and if the estate is worth more (seems to be £270,000) and there are children the amount over the threshold amount is divided between them. And yes, lineal descendants come into play if there are no spouses or children: siblings, parents and grandparents. I couldn’t imagine Canada’s laws being so greatly different.

I went back to the article and it clearly spells out the meaning of “bona vacantia” - Charles inherits only if there are no lineal descendants. He also gets any leftover assets when a company is dissolved because of years of inactivity. That usually happens when there’s an intestacy and no one is aware the testator owned a company. That does happen. 

And guess what? If you don’t have a will go and make your bloody will! Go to a stationary shop and get a printed form if you have no money for a lawyer. Or are too cheap to pay a lawyer.

As for the shocking news that Charles used the money to put buildings into good repair, I think the guy has proven himself to be a good landowner and someone who hires locals and supports the local economy. I’d rather have Charles get my money than assholes who slash the health care system and party during lockdowns, and who thought older people dying in an epidemic was just the nature of things.

The UK govt spent approx GBP 1,200 billion at the same time, so a ~200 billion net income to the public (govt deficit = private income). In theory that's all for the public good. The Windsors hoarding other people's estates is not for the public good.