The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #7

LongRider

@Larry of the Lawn

Oh yes moving rocks is much less daunting if you just simply slide then on a surface.

Clearing some of my back property multiple times ive just rolled a heavy rock onto a spade and tada...you can slide that sucker anywhere without too much exertion. The key for me is not attempting the ridiculous by trying to lift them or load them.

I have a fairly spectacular bouldered bonfire pit built up over the seasons that way.

Neighbors always asking where the rocks came from thinking I had them delivered or something.

"Nope your standing on where they came from when they bulldozed in this neighborhood lol."

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

On 12/17/2023 at 8:17 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Why would you want to avoid the best Christmas song ever?

Though whoever made that video clearly didn't know the logistics of a ski trip. 

It's the most overplayed song I can think of. That fact that I somehow still remain Unbent, Unwhammed, Unbroken this year is nothing short of a miracle. I am not saying it's on par with Moses parting the red sea, but no matter what hardships his people were trying to escape, at least it did not involve Wham!

Just had an article pop up on my cellphone, about cinnamon flavored applesauce made in Ecuador.

If you have any in your house, throw it out or bring it back to the store where you bought it. The stuff has lead levels 2,000 times higher than proposed US standards. People, especially children, are getting sick.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Happy Winter Solstice for those who celebrate!  The real reason for the season, the return of the Sun. 

Now that's a holiday (even if it isn't officially one) I can celebrate, especially w/ that tune, one of my all time faves! :cheers:

~ Susan Cooper, “The Shortest Day”

“So the Shortest Day came and the year died
And everywhere down the centuries of the snow‐white world 
Came people singing, dancing,
To drive the dark away.
They lighted candles in the winter trees;
They hung their homes with evergreen;
They burned beseeching fires all night long
To keep the year alive.
And when the new year's sunshine blazed awake
They shouted, reveling.
Through all the frosty ages you can hear them
Echoing behind us ‐ listen!
All the long echoes, sing the same delight,
This Shortest Day,
As promise wakens in the sleeping land:
They carol, feast, give thanks,
And dearly love their friends,
And hope for peace.
And so do we, here, now,
This year and every year.
Welcome, Yule!”

My niece shared this on her FB page.    

Did I ever the tell ye peoples of the internet about the creature in the roof? he lives above my room, in the left side of the attic. I’m not actually sure he is actually in the attic or in some roof framing. Last time I was here I heard him run across what I assume to be attic floor boards and roll around what I assume to be a walnut. Based on the sound of his running and food, he is most likely a rat or a fatter mouse. However I’m not sure he was particularly repelled by the rodent repellent sound YouTube videos I’d played for him last time. Still, weasel is unlikely and we don’t have squirrels. I can’t hear him right now, it’s a very mild and dry night so hopefully he moved out. Or he is already asleep. Or visiting family for Christmas in someone else’s roof. He might be at midnight mass. 

Oh boy it’s finally over. :bowdown: 

tomorrow I’m taking the tree down, just looking at it ties my stomach in a knot. I really really really crave a xanax, but I’ll be strong and instead I’ll do some yoga and meditation and relaxation and watch a Disney film or read Harry Potter or try to pump some endorphins into myself. But first a shower to wash it off, and I really badly need a good cry. 

14 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Thank fuck it's over for another year.

I cooked two full-on Christmas dinners these past two days. With all the trimmings. And I couldn't bring myself to take a bite of either.

Curse of the cook.

I just ignore the whole thing. The spouse was reluctant to let go of the nonsense at first but now is thoroughly onboard. Its hassle-free! :D

ps: I hope Maggie got several delicious treats w/ all that cooking going on!

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

She did very well indeed. She is currently lying at my brother's feet, her little belly bulging. 

Meanwhile, Bella, aka Damien Antichrist, killed her new stuffed cat in less than a day.