The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #7

LongRider

Ha!  We don't write them like this nowadays ---

... this playful description of nightfall: “Beneath night’s ebony backgammon board/ The shining dice of day were safely stored.” In the exquisiteness of his singing, Khosrow’s court musician “could compete with tipsy nightingales.” As for Shirin, she possesses “eyes like life’s dark water,” while “each finger is as slender as a pen/ That signs death warrants for a hundred men.” ....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/books/2024/02/09/romantic-epic-khoshrow-shirin-book/

Time flies!

I’ve worked for my employer now for 20 years (excluding 15 months as an agency temp at the start).

And if I hadn’t gotten married, bought a house, the flat I bought in 2000 (just before prices rocketed) woukd have been mortgage-free in 18 months.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

I lost my tomato.  How is that even possible? I picked up a lovely heirloom tomato yesterday for tonight’s salad, and this morning realized I had no idea where it is.  I vividly recall unpacking the groceries and putting them away, taking particular care to store it in such a way as to not attract vermin (we've been vermin free thankfully -- except for spring ant invasion -- and don't want that to change), not wanting it to be refrigerated for obvious reasons.  But I cannot find it.  Looked in all the places a tomato should be and in all the places a tomato should not be. :crying:

I was so proud of myself yesterday for thinking ahead to tonight so we wouldn't need to go out in case the storm that arrived in the wee hours this AM lived up to its hype (it has not lived up!).  

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

I lost my tomato.  How is that even possible? I picked up a lovely heirloom tomato yesterday for tonight’s salad, and this morning realized I had no idea where it is.  I vividly recall unpacking the groceries and putting them away, taking particular care to store it in such a way as to not attract vermin (we've been vermin free thankfully -- except for spring ant invasion -- and don't want that to change), not wanting it to be refrigerated for obvious reasons.  But I cannot find it.  Looked in all the places a tomato should be and in all the places a tomato should not be. :crying:

I was so proud of myself yesterday for thinking ahead to tonight so we wouldn't need to go out in case the storm that arrived in the wee hours this AM lived up to its hype (it has not lived up!).  

I would be equally upset about losing an heirloom tomato!  

Could someone have sneakily eaten it when you weren't looking?   

I'm an easy-going person, but if someone took my heirloom tomato, well, they'd be very, VERY sorry.

1 hour ago, Tears of Lys said:

Could someone have sneakily eaten it when you weren't looking?   

It's just barely possible Partner grabbed it last night while he was pulping tomato to go on bread with olive oil.  But he has no recollection of doing so, and insists he brought home his own tomato!  But he can be, shall we say, forgetful about such things with so much on mind right now.  And there was the tomato, perfect temperature, just ready for the Spanish olive oil to go with the perfect bread.  But now that the replacement tomato arrived for tonight's salad, one must accept this is a life mystery that shall never be solved.  We know the butler did not do it! :read:

During the summertime, when I grow my own heirloom tomatoes, Brandywine to be exact, we love to have it on a lightly toasted crusty roll with some good mozzarella, drizzled with balsamic vinegarette with fresh chopped basil sprinkled liberally upon it.  A small slice of heaven!

Now I want it to be summer.

My wife is a nightmare for not shutting the freezer door properly.  Went away for the weekend and came back to a fully defrosted freezer, had to throw away about £100 worth of stuff.  Not impressed.  

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

My wife is a nightmare for not shutting the freezer door properly.  Went away for the weekend and came back to a fully defrosted freezer, had to throw away about £100 worth of stuff.  Not impressed.  

My dear husband keeps telling me I do that as well. I don’t believe him, of course. Lies and propaganda!

For BFC and others who feel :thumbsdown: pressured and oppressed by Valentine's Day -- there is nothing that cannot be exploited, including anti-love bombing of This Day --

"... the growing crowd of “nopes” is getting more attention — especially from marketers."

So hating hearts, flowers, chocolate and an expensive dining experience can make as much profit as loving them.  :P  They always win!  -- coz, we is stoopid, or ?????

Almost a third of the people who said they aren’t celebrating a traditional Valentine’s Day are still going to mark it somehow — 3 percent of them by purchasing one of these dark and delightful gifts, according to the National Retail Federation.

It’s helping people reclaim control and assert themselves — rejecting the hearts and flowers narratives strangling them.

Who buys into that above shyte -- well literally 3 percent BUYS.  And BUY is the point!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2024/02/12/anti-valentines-social-media/

Let’s be honest.

Valentine’s Day has more potential to hurt, harm, terrorize and traumatize people than anything Halloween serves up.

From the card and carnation campaigns that decimate kids’ self esteem in classrooms to the endless stream of pop-up ads online (“Say I love you with chicken”?), the start of February is triggering for anyone who isn’t feeling it. ....

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

My dear husband keeps telling me I do that as well. I don’t believe him, of course. Lies and propaganda!

My Own Dear does that too. He didn't believe me either.  But now he does, because It Has Been Proven Without Doubt and With Evidence!

Edited by Zorral