US Politics: Dominoes falling, GOP failing, what a time to be alive!

LongRider

Vladimir Putin told in an interview that EU is not a problem, so if Trump signs a peace agreement to make Ukraine and the two Indipendent Republics join EU, that is a good agreement, I think it's good for Ukrainians to enjoy the development other countries had thanks to EU (Poland is an example) 

2 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

Vladimir Putin told in an interview that EU is not a problem, so if Trump signs a peace agreement to make Ukraine and the two Indipendent Republics join EU, that is a good agreement, I think it's good for Ukrainians to enjoy the development other countries had thanks to EU (Poland is an example) 

Sorry, how precisely is Trump going to sign a peace agreement between Ukraine and Russia? And why would Ukraine agree to it?

Note also that Ukraine joining the EU is NOT blocked by the war. Ukraine joining NATO is. Ukraine is already well on the way to joining the EU, and may get done within 2 years or so:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/06/ukraine-joining-eu-reforms

And double post, but this seems relevant: Zelensky is not particularly plussed with the idea that Trump could get peace in 24 hours:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/11/06/europe/ukraine-zelensky-trump-invitation-intl/index.html

Zelensky questioned Trump’s claim in an interview with NBC’s “Meet the Press” that aired Sunday, and invited him to visit Ukraine to see the scale of Russia’s invasion himself.

“If he can come here, I will need 24 minutes – yes, 24 minutes… to explain (to) President Trump that he can’t manage this war. He can’t bring peace because of Putin,” Zelensky said.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I The poll also showed that Trump's support would erode by 6 pts in some of those states if he was convicted of crimes, so there is that. 

I do agree that part of the polling (which has been shown in previous polls, not just the latest one) doesn't get enough publicity. As a psychologist, I do know that not everyone who says they would refuse to vote for Trump because of a conviction would actually follow through on that present belief about themselves, but then some others who say it wouldn't matter might actually find it would when it happens.  

And of course any polling a year before the election is not very predictive historically, any way. 

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Is everyone talking about Trump-Biden again because of the NYT/Siena poll that showed the former ahead in 5 of the 6 swing states by about 4 points (within MoE, I imagine)? 

No. I mean, in some cases that might be the proximate cause, but mostly it’s the weird popularity of the notion that forecasting disaster proves how insightful you are, mixed with a bit of ‘expect the worst’ as a protective psychological approach. Hyper-pessimism on the board is the intellectual fashion. 

16 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You bastard, now how am I ever going to get that image out of my brain? Where am I going to get the brain bleach????

There's plenty available if you're willing to go up to Trump's penthouse. And that way you can see if the tentacles are pink, purple or puke green. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

No. I mean, in some cases that might be the proximate cause, but mostly it’s the weird popularity of the notion that forecasting disaster proves how insightful you are, mixed with a bit of ‘expect the worst’ as a protective psychological approach. Hyper-pessimism on the board is the intellectual fashion. 

I have been guilty of that. 

2 hours ago, mormont said:

Doomposting, a written version of doomscrolling?

15 hours ago, KingAerys_II said:

The citizens affected by the increase of the cost (fuel, food) are the poor and the middle class, if Trump really has a plan to solve Ukrainian war, he's gonna win

It's a wonderful plan, a great plan. He'll release it together with his tax report and his infrastructure plan.

But I strongly support Zelensky's idea of Donald going there.

In other news, his NY trial seems to be a hoot. I'm seriously annoyed there's no footage.

Edited by Mindwalker

As for doom and gloom, Mehdi Hasan has a positive message:

(I couldn't find the clip alone online yet, so this is commented by someone else, don't knoiw him. Hasan's bit goes until 5:20.)

Edited by Mindwalker

Just the propaganda gives advantages to Trump. 

If he lies about his secret plan, it has an advantage, anyway, lots of Republican voters don't care so much about Ukraine, the alternative is Biden that keeps giving weapons to Ukraine, meanwhile there is the mess in Middle East involving Israel. 

If Trump makes a peace agreement that gives up the Donbass and Lugansk to Russia, do you think the average voter cares? Just his promises give advantages, his opponent doesn't look so brilliant 

24 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

If he lies about his secret plan, it has an advantage, anyway, lots of Republican voters don't care so much about Ukraine, the alternative is Biden that keeps giving weapons to Ukraine, meanwhile there is the mess in Middle East involving Israel. 

If Trump makes a peace agreement that gives up the Donbass and Lugansk to Russia, do you think the average voter cares? Just his promises give advantages, his opponent doesn't look so brilliant 

How exactly would he "make a peace agreement"? He does not hold any political office, plus he needs his two brain cells for personal matters right now. Not that he ever presented any coherent, long-term plan when he was in office.

Of course Republican voters don't care. Of course MAGA voters believe every idiotic claim he makes, or pretend to. These ppl will never vote for a Democrat. The issue is Democrat voters turning out (and in some cases, not voting Republican in protest/ to punish Biden), and independent voters voting Dem  (or staying home), and hopefully Republican voters not turning out so much. That pretty much determines US elections.

(Also I can assure you, the European voters you mentioned in your previous post don't matter. In terms of Ukraine, Israel and any other international politics issue, their governments will do whatever the US government tells them to.)

ETA: Your predictions seem somewhat contradictory. 1. If T. presents a peace plan, he'll win. 2. His voters don't care about international politics. Which one is it?

Edited by Mindwalker

Politicians win thanks to lies too. 

Trump won for his announcements about the wall Mexico should have paid to him. 

Just the announcements to decrease the gas price are good for his propaganda, because Joe Biden plan to decrease the inflation doesn't exist

Edited by KingAerys_II

29 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

I’m an “average voter”… I care a great deal about fucking over Ukraine so Trump can pay off the Russian dictator.

30 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m an “irrelevant voter in a red state”… I care a great deal about fucking over Ukraine so Trump can pay off the Russian dictator.

FTFY. :P:leaving:

Now we want to hear more from the relevant voters like chats.