US Politics: Dominoes falling, GOP failing, what a time to be alive!

LongRider

How prevalent is the pro-Hamas posturing that's described in this article?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/far-lefts-pro-hamas-messaging-damages-progressive-movement

I can't believe students at George Washington U would do something like that, but I've been out of the academic loop for quite some time.

Hopefully this is just a tiny fringe, but even if so, it's important to make sure the fringe stays the fringe.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:
It’s really disappointing she keeps dredging this issue up on right wing platforms and keeps equating the term birthing people with women, and not every who can give birth is a woman, and not every woman could give birth. 

Yes, it's very disappointing that some random person on the internet got extra clicks and reach and monetization from twitter for no good reason. 

Why do I care about this person? 

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Gun violence in America is out of control. In fact, it has been out of control for some time now. And in a way it’s strange that legislators seem incapable of doing anything about it when fairly recent polls show a lot of support across the board for some measures that could and probably would make a difference. And legislators apparently will never be able to do something unless dems have an overwhelming majority in both houses of congress and the WH. I mean, even Bernie voted to protect gun manufacturers from lawsuits… He later said that was a “bad vote”, but still. And even when some states have a little more regulation, in comes SCOTUS and says, “nah you can’t do that”. So much for states independence or whatever. And all this inability to do anything is, at least in part, because of how a handful of Federalist Society weirdos interpret a couple of sentences written 200+ years ago by a handful of men who owned women and PoC. So for now “thoughts and prayers” is the best they can do. It’s just so sad…

Doesn't it come down to the supreme court, at least for the federal govt to pass laws? As soon as a law is passed that the NRA doesn't like it's straight to the SC to overturn it. Until there are 5 SCJs who are uncorruptably pro-control even a pro-control dominated congress and pro-control POTUS will be powerless to get significant laws past SCOTUS.

11 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Doesn't it come down to the supreme court, at least for the federal govt to pass laws? As soon as a law is passed that the NRA doesn't like it's straight to the SC to overturn it. Until there are 5 SCJs who are uncorruptably pro-control even a pro-control dominated congress and pro-control POTUS will be powerless to get significant laws past SCOTUS.

Yeah, that's why I said even when some states have a few gun control laws SCOTUS sweeps in and takes them away. If I'm not  mistaken it happened in New York fairly recently. And yes, this SCOTUS is especially bad w/ so much corruption on top of all the aforementioned Federalist Society weirdos - like all conservative justices are, I think. 

ETA: but I agree my previous post was somewhat confusing when I said dems needed vast majorities in both houses of congress + the WH, but left SCOTUS out even if I brought it up separately. 

Edited by kissdbyfire

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Yes, it's very disappointing that some random person on the internet got extra clicks and reach and monetization from twitter for no good reason. 

Why do I care about this person? 

Jorden Peterson was just a random lying and/or paranoid person before he went viral for lying about the ramifications of gender identity becoming  a protected class.

He was boosted tremendously by the right, who recognized his use of a good propaganda tool, useful for the grander narrative, A lone college professor standing up for free speech against the SJW mob(woke of course not entering the Right’s lexicon yet, showcasing society acclaim of the trans(and probably non-heterosexuals), has gone too far.

You ask Excellent and fair question.

Kasaparian is political pundit and co-host to probably the biggest progressive independent organization on social media

In some fashion it’s more dangerous when she herself fear mongers about this benal stuff than say Sarah Huckbe Sanders, or Ben Shapiro orsome other right wing theocrat, gets people into thinking wholistic politically, there’s something  wrong by itself to not simply use women when describing people who have particular attributes that aren’t a determiner of who is a woman and this opens the door for other uglinesses.

I do think the political forces on the left have been really slow to exploit social media and see the potential use for radicalization to the the extent the right has.

4 hours ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I can't believe students at George Washington U would do something like that, but I've been out of the academic loop for quite some time.

Hopefully this is just a tiny fringe, but even if so, it's important to make sure the fringe stays the fringe.

It is and Hopefully it will remain so yes. 

though I’ll be honest I fear things like this will get all of the attention but  the institutional backlash to anyone who’d give a bare bones statement of support Palestine won’t get any  and be framed as if it’s equally harmful as the rhetoric Israel has promoted and western governments have are cheered on or failed to condemn.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

There's an argument that not every monument to the dark parts of history should be destroyed. But really is there any need to keep more than one smallish monument, somewhere in a museum that clearly provides a narrative about what the monument historically means. All the rest of them can be burned / melted down.

And even now, 158 years after the end of the Civil War, Grant is victorious. 

(Henry Shrady, who sculpted the Lee monument, also sculpted the Grant Memorial at the Capitol in DC. And the George Washington equestrian statue in Brooklyn.)

Edited by Ran

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/10/27/gun-stores-in-maine-see-brisk-business-in-wake-of-lewiston-shootings/

“It's been a madhouse,' an employee at a Lewiston store says of the increase in business. 'People are scared,' says a gun shop owner in Augusta.” 

Well, at least the guy killed himself, which happens in the majority of cases. The police figured that was the case, which is why they sent divers into the river near the boat launch where his car was parked. Two days ago they revealed that the AR-15 was left in the car (though they didn’t know what other weapons he had) and there was a note left to his family. Not a suicide note exactly, but directions where to find stuff (his will? His important papers?).

I haven’t listened to the news yet today, his motive, apparently, was to kill his girlfriend who recently broke up with him, the two locations being places they frequented. Did he find her and kill her? Is that why the shooting ended?

Edited by Fragile Bird
Sp

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I understand mileages vary greatly, but I strongly dislike the YT. 

Thank you.

I can't stand this big mouth oaf (persona?) by the name of Cenk Uygur. I assumed that's a cultural thing, and Americans like/need their political commentators loud and obnoxious. The CNN upping their "No Bulllshit hardtalk" hosts also rubs me the wrong way. But Cenk Uygur is that on steroids.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

WTF?

An absolutely incomprehensible approach to politics that you actually want people to be radicalized.

Ironically, the only radicalization that leftist activists do is the unintentional kind, by making the right wing talking points seem just a little more reasonable, and their groups comparatively more welcoming. 

Radical or not, you catch flies with honey, not with micro-policing every perceived transgression.

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Thank you.

I can't stand this big mouth oaf (persona?) by the name of Cenk Uygur. I assumed that's a cultural thing, and Americans like/need their political commentators loud and obnoxious. The CNN upping their "No Bulllshit hardtalk" hosts also rubs me the wrong way. But Cenk Uygur is that on steroids.

Same here. I think it may be unfair to say Americans either need or like their political commentators loud and obnoxious, both traits Uygur has in spades. The YT do seem to be popular...

But he is so much worse than just loud and obnoxious... 

He is a homophobe...

Spoiler

Sexist statements have long been prevalent in Uygur's rhetoric, but in a segment on TheYoung Turks in 2010, he failed to recognize or acknowledge the difference between sexual assault and homosexuality, insisting that men who sexually abuse other men must be repressing homosexual urges

and misogynistic prick...

Spoiler

In 2013, he rated women on a scale of how hot they would need to be in order for a man to let her "suck your dick."

who is ok with bestiality.

Spoiler

That same year, he promoted bestiality as long as you are "pleasuring the animal," as if animals could consent.

So, yeah, fuck that guy. 

Edited by kissdbyfire

Seeing the fascist of Argentina melt down on live interview tv last night -- he insisted he was hearing very loud voices from the studio audience, which audience wasn't there, the studio was empty -- and now his political career is over.

Take aways:

1) being a fascist/nationalist/authoritarian/extremist/racist/misogynist/hater of all others is the path to mental illness.  One has to subscribe to relentless fantasy, conspiracy and non-reality to keep pushing the fascist agenda, and it drives on crazy literally.

2) yet, here in the USA, where the crazy-in-chief constantly exhibits his mental illness to the world, his 'career' isn't over.  That is how many mentally ill people there are in this nation, driven there by their hatred.

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Seeing the fascist of Argentina melt down on live interview tv last night -- he insisted he was hearing very loud voices from the studio audience, which audience wasn't there, the studio was empty -- and now his political career is over.

Take aways:

1) being a fascist/nationalist/authoritarian/extremist/racist/misogynist/hater of all others is the path to mental illness.  One has to subscribe to relentless fantasy, conspiracy and non-reality to keep pushing the fascist agenda, and it drives on crazy literally.

2) yet, here in the USA, where the crazy-in-chief constantly exhibits his mental illness to the world, his 'career' isn't over.  That is how many mentally ill people there are in this nation, driven there by their hatred.

I would be more careful with ascribing mental illness to political opponents... It's a very old defamatory trick and it's not a good one...

To make a mental illness diagnosis you need to know that person really well and you need to have some psychological expertise...

And it really doesn't help people that do have mentall illnesses and are struggling with them, if you say this guy or that guy must have a mental illness (which one btw?) just because you don't agree with what he says or does... These generalizations are just wrong...

I would argue that the majority of Republicans in the USA don't have a mental illness atm and don't suffer from one either atm... And the same is true for Democrats, Greens, Independents, Libertarians and apoliticals...

3 hours ago, Ran said:

n absolutely incomprehensible approach to politics that you actually want people to be radicalized.

Yes in some directions and avenues I do and I don’t respect “moderation” or “centrism” by itself.

In the 1860s full abolition along with equal rights to African Americans was the more radical position. 

Eventually when you get enough people to become radicalized a certain view the view is no longer rationally what can be dubbed the radical.

20 minutes ago, Bironic said:

And it really doesn't help people that do have mentall illnesses and are struggling with them, if you say this guy or that guy must have a mental illness (which one btw?) just because you don't agree with what he says or does... These generalizations are just wrong...

In that case why then do you not chastise those who say that the killers "are suffering with mental illness issues?"  Because that is said everytime about everyone (unless, the occasional Black person, sometimes) who has committed mass murder -- while they all ascribe to the Haters' List of Issues.