US Politics: Shutdown Showdown

Mr. Chatywin et al.

7 minutes ago, Bironic said:

Agreed but you have to add the following: Gerrymandering, Citizens United, First past the post, partisan primaries, voter suppression laws, elections on workdays, etc.

Definitely. And correct me if I'm wrong, but those can be dealt with w/o getting into a massive debate about that untouchable 200+ yr old paper written by a,handful of men who owned PoC and women. 

And I'm not saying that all the things you listed are easy to solve, but they at least don't seem to be totally impossible. 

8 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

The problem is that Biden looks like he doesn't know where he is, isn't there a younger politician in the Democratic Party? 

Hannity, is that you? Didn't know you were an ASoIaF fan. 

2 minutes ago, KingAerys_II said:

How is the Kennedy guy? 

He also looks like he doesn't know where he is. As does Trump. If you're looking for a candidate who does look like he's fully compos mentis, it's Biden. Put aside the age prejudice, because they're all old. The question is, which of them is not both old and insane? Biden.

Just now, mormont said:

He also looks like he doesn't know where he is. As does Trump. If you're looking for a candidate who does look like he's fully compos mentis, it's Biden. Put aside the age prejudice, because they're all old. The question is, which of them is not both old and insane? Biden.

And apparently taking more votes from Trump than from Biden, despite all the conservative money going into his campaign, according to several one poll analysis I've seen. I guess it makes sense in more ways than one.

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Definitely. And correct me if I'm wrong, but those can be dealt with w/o getting into a massive debate about that untouchable 200+ yr old paper written by a,handful of men who owned PoC and women. 

And I'm not saying that all the things you listed are easy to solve, but they at least don't seem to be totally impossible. 

Yes they don't need a constitutional amendment AFAIK, but neither does the Electoral College (yes abolishing would need that). But there is the national popular vote interstate compact that basically goes around it, so you can fix it, while still adhering to the constitution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFZyFmILb5w https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

25 minutes ago, mormont said:

Old and Insane, XD. There are lots of young Republican candidates that are even worse than Trump, as the Indian guy that doesn't want skilled immigrants to have the green card, pure madness

His name is Vivek, he was invited by Tucker Carlson, the most neutral journalist ever XD. 

30 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Hannity, is that you? Didn't know you were an ASoIaF fan. 

I have seen this guy, I tell you he is going to vote Trump because of his look, he has the look of a Republican voter

1 hour ago, KingAerys_II said:

isn't there a younger politician in the Democratic Party? 

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2023/11/one-thing-you-can-never-say-that-you-havent-been-told

Have I mentioned that Joe Biden is two years older than Donald Trump? Two years! Can we maybe get some coverage of this?

Donald Trump and his allies have begun mapping out specific plans for using the federal government to punish critics and opponents should he win a second term, with the former president naming individuals he wants to investigate or prosecute and his associates drafting plans to potentially invoke the Insurrection Act on his first day in office to allow him to deploy the military against civil demonstrations.

Wait, can we hear that again?

…naming individuals he wants to investigate or prosecute and his associates drafting plans to potentially invoke the Insurrection Act on his first day in office to allow him to deploy the military against civil demonstrations.

A presumptive candidate for president drawing up plans to go fash on day 1 seems important to me. Perhaps not “compliance with email server management best practices” important, but pretty important. The end of American democracy and all.

In private, Trump has told advisers and friends in recent months that he wants the Justice Department to investigate onetime officials and allies who have become critical of his time in office, including his former chief of staff, John F. Kelly, and former attorney general William P. Barr, as well as his ex-attorney Ty Cobb and former Joint Chiefs of Staff chairman Gen. Mark A. Milley, according to people who have talked to him, who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymityto describe private conversations.Trump has also talked of prosecuting officials at the FBI and Justice Department, a person familiar with the matter said.

In public, Trump has vowed to appoint a special prosecutor to “go after” President Biden and his family. The former president has frequently made corruption accusations against them that are not supported by available evidence.

To facilitate Trump’s ability to direct Justice Department actions, his associates have been drafting plans to dispense with 50 years of policy and practice intended to shield criminal prosecutions from political considerations. Critics have called such ideas dangerous and unconstitutional.

“It would resemble a banana republic if people came into office and started going after their opponents willy-nilly,” said Saikrishna Prakash, a constitutional law professor at the University of Virginia who studies executive power. “It’s hardly something we should aspire to.”

And to facilitate this, Stephen Miller will ensure that mere Federalist Society reactionaries are replaced by lawyers who KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS (zwinkern, zwinkern, stupsen, stupsen.)

In conclusion, more investigations into Joe Biden’s age must be the most urgent priority for the political press.

Edited by Zorral

Beshear (d-ky) outrunning other Democrats by a huge margin (30 ish points) in Kentucky.  Indicates a lot of ticket splitting, and is a good sign for him.  Trump won KY by 27, so if that is where the other Democrats are at, then Beshear wins.  

Dems having a great night so far.  Ohio abortion rights are protected and Dems hold the VA state Senate.  VA State House still TBD.

Biggest other races are pa supreme Court and MS governor.  The latter of which is a huge reach, but it's been a great night so far, so we can dream.

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Dems having a great night so far.  Ohio abortion rights are protected and Dems hold the VA state Senate.  VA State House still TBD.

Biggest other races are pa supreme Court and MS governor.  The latter of which is a huge reach, but it's been a great night so far, so we can dream.

The importance of the PA Supreme Court race cannot be overstated. The Democratic majority gained Democrats seats both in the House of Representatives, and in the state assembly, and has kept the Keystone State from becoming the former-democracy that is North Carolina.

Edited by TrackerNeil

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Beshear has won reelection as governor of Kentucky.  It will not be nearly as close as it was in 2019.  Great start to the night for Dems.

*Sings* "2028 is calling you, calling you."

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

*Sings* "2028 is calling you, calling you."

Him vs Polis vs Whitmer seems like an awesome primary.

Meanwhile, I'm very thankful for the VA state senate results. I really didn't want to live in a red state hellhole. Hopefully Democrats even flip the state house, which seems like it may very well happen.

Yes, looking good in the va House.  Pa supreme Court is still TBD, but pointing in the right direction as well.  

MS governor looks like it will be too big a lift, although Reeves will win by less than he did in 2019, and less than Beshear, which is...something I guess?  Keeping it to single digit losses seemed like the best Dems can ever manage in Mississippi.