I… HATE… SMOKING!!!

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Tongue Stuck to Wall said:

How about the staff rooms at school? My parents were both principals back then and sometimes we'd spend the day at their schools when we had PA/PD days. I'd be trying to fill in my Johnny Quest/Space Ghost colouring book with tears running down my cheeks.

One of my coworkers sometimes mentions how they still smoked in the staff room at school a few decades ago. I cannot even imagine that now, smoking is very much prohibited both in the school building and on the school grounds.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

One of my coworkers sometimes mentions how they still smoked in the staff room at school a few decades ago

At my high school there was an unofficial smoking area on campus.  Myself and other derelicts would hang out there at lunch and smoke.  For reference, I graduated in 1974.

2 minutes ago, LongRider said:

At my high school there was an unofficial smoking area on campus.  Myself and other derelicts would hang out there at lunch and smoke.  For reference, I graduated in 1974.

The jackasses who smoked in the bathrooms when I was in High School…

I graduated in 1989.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The jackasses who smoked in the bathrooms when I was in High School…

I graduated in 1989.

Oh, I smoked there too.   :dunce:   I quit several times before I quit for good in '89/'90.  

Im a non smoker but people who do smoke and smoke in general just doesnt bother me really.

Guests of mine are pretty courteous and use the patio and do not light up in my truck so really no issues with it.

I think my high tolerance has been influenced from years of working in manafacturing where welding and cutting steel parts is an every day thing in my vicinity.

A cigarette pales in comparison to a ships erection seem being welded or trimmed with a torch or stainless being plasma cut. Its 2nd nature to me.

But then again paint fumes do not bother me too much either. Fwiw my annual lung tests seem to score really high, which I credit lap swimming. The smokers ive observed do really poorly on those lung tests, they tend to struggle breathing on stairs as well.

I've heard some coworkers say our students still smoke or at least try to in the school bathrooms ... I personally haven't caught any doing it, but it is possible that it happens. I have seen students smoke outside of school grounds. I don't think many do it though. But vaping is more popular with the teenagers than cigarettes now.

Reminds me...

Visited my dad Sunday. He is now in a single bed room (instead of two bed). Anyway, as I've mentioned a few times he is a chain smoker. Now that it's getting colder, he has taken the habit of smoking in the bathroom. Nurses caught him once and scolded him accordingly (no smoking indoors). He then in turn apparently scolded them claiming him being able to smoke was the reason he got a single bed room in the first place (not really, that was down to his principal nurse heavily advocating for him getting a bed room, because his previous room mates left a lot to be desired (and (presumably) my dad leaving a lot to be desired as a roommate, too).

I didn't have the energy to fight him, when he proceeded to bathroom for a cigarette or two, when I was there. So I just rolled my eyes and waved it off. Let the nursing staff sort it.

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Reminds me...

Visited my dad Sunday. He is now in a single bed room (instead of two bed). Anyway, as I've mentioned a few times he is a chain smoker. Now that it's getting colder, he has taken the habit of smoking in the bathroom. Nurses caught him once and scolded him accordingly (no smoking indoors). He then in turn apparently scolded them claiming him being able to smoke was the reason he got a single bed room in the first place (not really, that was down to his principal nurse heavily advocating for him getting a bed room, because his previous room mates left a lot to be desired (and (presumably) my dad leaving a lot to be desired as a roommate, too).

I didn't have the energy to fight him, when he proceeded to bathroom for a cigarette or two, when I was there. So I just rolled my eyes and waved it off. Let the nursing staff sort it.

Is he able to drive?

7 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

He has a drivers license, but not driven a car in 20 years +. Not sure what your point is with the question tho.

How is he getting cigarettes if he’s in a facility that doesn’t allow smoking?  He’s walking distance from a grocery or convenience store?

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

He can smoke in the garden/on the terrace.

Either I bring him cigarettes, or they get him cigarettes. He just should not smoke INSIDE THE BLOODY BUILDING!

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

19 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Please do it were no one else can smell it.  Weed smells like skunk spray.

Oh?  I had no idea that other people might not want to consume everything I'm consuming!  Never crossed my mind.  Thank you soooooo much for letting me know that other people might not appreciate it. 

This explains so much and will probably change my life.  If it wasn't for this chance comment I'd probably have just stumbled through the rest of my life without even the most rudimentary sense of human decency.

Do you like food?  Please chew with your mouth closed and don't spit it onto people when you talk 

Edited by Larry of the Lawn

On the issue of smoking on school grounds.

As the more ardent boarders are aware, I am playing chess. Not as active as I used to, when I was younger. Still, I play league games for my club. Our club is located at a high school. It's not unusual. We get to use a a couple of classrooms Friday evening/night (regular club day) and on Sunday (4th tier league upwards play on the WE).

And same rule applies here as in Slovenia (check Bckwwheat's post). No Smoking on school grounds. So the chessplayers who smoke, they have to leave the premises of the school to smoke and return. Not a big deal, as it's a five minute walk.

I don't think we have any smokers on our team (we have one new player in our ranks, whom I don't know well eough yet, to say for certain whether he smokes or not).  Anyway, last Sunday we had a home game, suddenly I had this very strong tabbaco scent in my nose. Took me a few moments to figure out, that it was probably Ozzy (who was playing for the visitors), who went for a smoke, who was standing behind me to take a look at the board.

Had a similar experience last season with a different players from a different team.

I think I am getting more sensitive to the smell of tobacco as I grow older.

And it's way more unpleasent than the smell of weed in my opinion.

2 hours ago, LongRider said:

50 year anniversary coming up! 

38 minutes ago, Larry of the Lawn said:

This explains so much and will probably change my life.  If it wasn't for this chance comment I'd probably have just stumbled through the rest of my life without even the most rudimentary sense of human decency.

Spill some bong water in Scot's car to learn him something. 

31 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

50 year anniversary coming up!

Whee!  I plan to stay away like I always have.  As for weed, what I’ve noticed is some pot smells like skunk weed some doesn’t.   Smoke just doesn’t really bother me that much. 
:dunno: