Marvel's Multiverse of Maddening Returns

Myrddin

6 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

OK so we can finally kill off these canon questions stone dead, yes the Netflix show is 100% the same continuity.

Are the above Daredevil clips from the original Netflix series? I've never seen it, as Daredevil was just never "my thing". 

18 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Marvels will still have more cultural footprint than Avatar 2 though...

Avatar feels like the new Transformers. These films come out, make a shit ton of money, but are instantly forgotten a week later.The Avatar films dont even have a strong expanded universe and merchandising setup, yet they somehow make tons of money and are of very average quality.

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

5 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Are the above Daredevil clips from the original Netflix series? I've never seen it, as Daredevil was just never "my thing". 

Yes, a lot of the Kingpin stuff is from the original show. All the stuff with his younger self. Each to their own but Daredevil for me is pretty comfortably the best Marvel TV show, I’m praying they can do it justice here and in Born Again.

11 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

OK so we can finally kill off these canon questions stone dead, yes the Netflix show is 100% the same continuity.

This feels like when they leveraged Endgame to promote The Marvels, in a ‘remember the thing you actually did like? Well here is another thing which is related to that’

Except Marvels had nothing to do with Endgame and was much much worse.

I guess they have to drum up interest somehow.

58 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Comparing Avatar to Transformers is very unfair.

The first Transformers was fun. 

And both Shia LeBeouf and the computer rendering Optimus Prime have much more screen presence than Sam Worthington. 

And Steve Jablonsky's score for the first Transformers movie was legitimately good. The sequels? Uhh, not so much. But the first? A legit banger.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Comparing Avatar to Transformers is very unfair.

The first Transformers was fun. 

And both Shia LeBeouf and the computer rendering Optimus Prime have much more screen presence than Sam Worthington. 

I rewatched that film with some friends, about a year ago, during one of our bad movie nights. Many laughs were had, but we were all very shocked how long it took for the actual Transformers to finally show up and it was even worse for the villains, who basically were only on screen for about 20 minutes, lol

24 minutes ago, sifth said:

I rewatched that film with some friends, about a year ago, during one of our bad movie nights. Many laughs were had, but we were all very shocked how long it took for the actual Transformers to finally show up and it was even worse for the villains, who basically were only on screen for about 20 minutes, lol

Why worse? Jaws was on screen for minutes, as we're Vader and Palpatine, Sauron, John Doe etc. 

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Why worse? Jaws was on screen for minutes, as we're Vader and Palpatine, Sauron, John Doe etc. 

Pretty sure Jaws was done that way because the shark puppet they were given looked fake and they wanted to hide it. 

Edited by sifth

34 minutes ago, sifth said:

That was one of the reasons I quite liked that first transformers movie. The actual transformers are incredibly boring, the fights are incomprehensible, the story is some nonsense mcguffin plot. The only thing holding that movie together was Shia the Beef and the throwback Bay comedy stuff. As soon as the story concentrated on actual Transformers I had to check out mentally.

Probably why I never bothered with the rest of the movies.

Revenge of the Fallen is genuinely, hysterically funny in how utterly awful it is. By the time the US Navy is firing on the Pyramids which are inexplicably now very close to the Mediterranean (within binocular view) I'd completely lost the plot with it.

The others just looked too boring to deal with, and I still have my 1990s Transformers comics by Simon Furman.

Incidentally, the Echo and Daredevil showrunners seem to be saying that, as far they are concerned, the entire Netflix run of shows is canon. Marvel itself and Feige have not weighed in on that.

7 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Avatar feels like the new Transformers. These films come out, make a shit ton of money, but are instantly forgotten a week later.The Avatar films dont even have a strong expanded universe and merchandising setup, yet they somehow make tons of money and are of very average quality.

This comment made me laugh, considering it is found in a thread dedicated to Marvel movies and shows, where average is an impossibily ambitious standard.

I quite like what Cameron is aiming for: an original property that explores a generational saga on a unique world.

27 minutes ago, sifth said:

Pretty sure Jaws was done that way because the shark puppet they were given looked fake and they wanted to hide it. 

Alien too, but between them they, out of that necessity, established a convention for building tension that still works to this day. 

10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Revenge of the Fallen is genuinely, hysterically funny in how utterly awful it is. By the time the US Navy is firing on the Pyramids which are inexplicably now very close to the Mediterranean (within binocular view) I'd completely lost the plot with it.

Yeah, RotF is risible. No saving graces.

Dark of the Moon is really dumb and badly paced, but the action scene in the falling skyscraper is excellent, albeit does go on a bit too long. 

12 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Incidentally, the Echo and Daredevil showrunners seem to be saying that, as far they are concerned, the entire Netflix run of shows is canon. Marvel itself and Feige have not weighed in on that.

There's a trailer out for Echo that seems to be working with that, using clips from the Netflix shows to build up Kingpin, so there's that.

Also a fight scene between Daredevil and Echo was apparently shown the other day, and you have to say it's disappointing- but the problem isn't the setup or choreography, which look fine to me, it just doesn't look rehearsed enough, so my hope is it was some combination of biting off more than they could chew by framing it as a oner (even though I'm fairly sure you can see the hidden cuts where they swap out Alaqua Cox for her stunt double and back) and Charlie Cox and his stuntman having too much to do on their own show to fully commit to this. Rather than something that will affect the whole show.

28 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Dark of the Moon is really dumb and badly paced, but the action scene in the falling skyscraper is excellent, albeit does go on a bit too long. 

The scene where Optimus Prime straight up murders Leonard Nimoy's character, as he's begging for mercy, is legit one of the funniest things I've ever seen put on film. It's up there with The Room for me, with just how laughably bad it is.

Edited by sifth

The Bumblebee film was really good, the appearance much more faithful to gen 1.

The Last Knight was ok once it became clear Bay was just taking the piss. It had the actor who played Carson in Downton Abbey playing a transformer butler called Cogdon. And Anthony Hopkins mugging it up

3 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Also a fight scene between Daredevil and Echo was apparently shown the other day, and you have to say it's disappointing

Disappointing is a bit of an understatement. Feels like a rehearsal where they just thought ‘nah, that will do’, which aligns to a general feeling that everyone in the MCU doesn’t have time to do things properly. I won’t be watching this show anyway, but I’m pretty convinced not to now. 

Edited by Heartofice