Watch, Watched, Watching: Watching Severance and working for Lumon

Veltigar

I might check out Slow Horses, I have ATV+ for free right now and I was toying between that, Constellation, Invasion or Shining Girls. Apple TV seems to be a bit stuck on 7/10ish series, they have the money to throw at these things but haven’t quite found their groove in my opinion. Severance is the only truly exceptional thing I’ve seen so far.

Was feelin blue so decided to go see Ferrari on the IMAX. Despite the poor reviews and despite bombing at the box office I was drawn to this film. I'm a bit of a Michael Mann apologist, and I've been obsessed with Italy lately (went 4 times last year) so this movie worked for me. It has a stillness to it that is at odds with the speed and fucking verve of a Ferrari engine. It doesn't get everything right, one of the main performances is quite poor, and it won't go down as a top 5 Mann movie, but it hit something. And so did Driver. Not a huge fan of his but despite the bad wig and fat suit he managed to have like 4 great scenes.

Edited by Relic

I'm watching Yellowjackets and I don't know who came up with the weird idea of combining survival drama with family drama but it doesn't work.

What's happening on the island is interesting but it keeps switching between that and boring family soap opera. It's bizarre.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

Which one? I've heard Penelope Cruz is really good in it, so I hope it's not her.

Uhh, the second female lead, I don't know her name. it's not really her fault, just bad casting and not much for her to say, sadly. Cruz is practically burning in this one, and gives a strong performance (if a bit cliche).

48 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I'm watching Yellowjackets and I don't know who came up with the weird idea of combining survival drama with family drama but it doesn't work.

What's happening on the island is interesting but it keeps switching between that and boring family soap opera. It's bizarre.

How dare you! 

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I might check out Slow Horses, I have ATV+ for free right now and I was toying between that, Constellation, Invasion or Shining Girls. Apple TV seems to be a bit stuck on 7/10ish series, they have the money to throw at these things but haven’t quite found their groove in my opinion. Severance is the only truly exceptional thing I’ve seen so far.

Definitely try Silo

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Shining Girls

I really liked Slow Horses, and I really enjoyed this one as well. Elizabeth Moss is great in it as usual, and Jamie Bell is fantastic and creepy af.

5 hours ago, Darryk said:

Island?

5 hours ago, Darryk said:

Yep it gets worse in season 2 where the boring present day shit is like 80% of the show, better to bail now. 

My gawd, what is this?  Stumbled upon it -- Iron Mask (2019) -- Ahnold is in it, and so is Jackie Chan, and it's supposedly the 17th century, and Peter the Russian Czar is in an iron mask and an iron prison in London, and o, I don't know what all.  Sort of, kind of, Pirates of the Caribbean?  Also, tea and a dragon? and some weird flying cuties that are vicious.  I dunno.

On 2/20/2024 at 8:36 PM, Ran said:

The difference lies in the camera in Guadagnino's film making us the sole observer, while Sciamma's camera makes us voyeurs alongside Marianne, who secretly watches Héloïse's grief. Of course, Guadagnino lets the credits play over the scene, so it's not quite the same and maybe feels less long because of it (but it's actually a bit longer).

But yeah, gorgeous, beautiful film, which rocketed up into the Sight and Sound top 200 (maybe a bit early for it, but to me it's such an undeniable masterpiece, absolutely one of the great films of the 21st century, that I don't mind it too much).

Yes, I feel like that ending is dliuted/made more comfortable to watch by the credits acting as a distraction. Now that I have seen the film I am going to go back and listen to that Sciamma podcast again, which I still have saved in Spotify.

On 2/20/2024 at 10:35 PM, dbunting said:

The hell you say?!?! I remember laughing at the lines and especially Vince Vaughn.

I remember talking about this on here at the time. I don't think that was VV just 'doing a poor performance' because of some inadequacy that specifically relates to him. I still think he was doing what he was asked to do.

Watched a couple of TV mini-series during my little covid interlude: Deadwater Fell which is classic creepy David Tennant territory. Would definitely recommend if that is something you enjoy. Good performances from the rest of the cast. It's quite bleak. Only four episodes. Personally I find it a stretch to call it a whodunnit, more like a whydunnit?

Also Penance, which is a three part mini-series about what happens to a family when the only-just adult son dies and they are all alienated by grief and a stranger appears to help them move forwards. (bleak, obviously!)

Just started watching Freud on Netflix. I hadn't heard of this until a week ago, apparently it's from 2020 though. German with subtitles. It's about Freud getting involved with solving some mysterious crimes. We are only three episodes in but it's holding my attention, although we keep pausing it to discuss the associated history (it's a historical fiction basically). Lashings of cocaine - think constant vaping but with liquid cocaine - and hypnosis. Beautiful costumes too. 

8 hours ago, Relic said:

Speaking of Michael Mann, the Tokyo Vice pilot is awesome. 

Alas, the rest of the show doesn't really live up to it, but it's totally watchable.

Tokyo Vice is eminently watchable, with an unlikely pairing of Watanabe - Hitoro Katagiri and Elgort - Athelstan.  Pleasure in watching Watanabe do a character is expected, but these two such differing personalities as actors and characters together in a scene are nearly mesmerizing.  The whole cast generally is quite above par too.  The only one I tend to tire of is Rachel Keller's Samantha

Anyone watch Deadloch? Sounds interesting.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2024/02/21/deadloch-is-one-of-the-best-mysteries-in-years/amp/

The really big, important difference between the two is that Deadloch is a fantastic mystery with a compelling story and a truly wonderful cast of characters, with a whodunit story that keeps you guessing right up to its brilliant and unexpected conclusion. It’s one of the best mystery TV shows I’ve seen in a long, long time. Night Country, on the other hand, is barely a mystery at all.

12 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Also there’s a prime show called The Wilds which is about a group of high school girls stuck on an island….seems to be a common premise lol 

Yeah they both came out at roughly the same time and I initially thought Yellowjackets was this much superior version, but now having watched both I’m not sure either one is very good.