Shogun: More like Shogood (Spoilers 4 days post episode release, show spoilers only)

IFR

Edit: I'm glad I can use the new title. Tuesday is kind of an awkward release date, so I suggest hiding spoilers for the released episode until Saturday, then feel free to talk openly about the latest episode. I also am guessing that the quality of this show will gradually draw more people, most of whom haven't read the book, so I think book spoilers should stay hidden.

At any rate, I'm very excited for this show. Reviews have been encouraging. To be clear, I don't respect professional critics, but that doesn't mean there is no value in their reviews. Their assessment of quality is of course worthless, but their explanation of why they like or dislike a show gives some insight about what one can expect. And it sounds like Shogun is very loyal to the book, and executes it well.

I make this thread with the hope that others share an interest in this show. There's such a dearth of quality entertainment, despite the incredible number of shows running, that it's exciting when something with potential makes a rare appearance.

Edited by IFR
Title edit

I've been meaning to re-read the book and/or rewatch the 80's mini series for years now. I own both media versions, yet they've sat on their separate book shelves untouched...

My double hardbacks (two volumes) may even be first edition, stolen acquired from my parents. Copywrite date is 1975, but without any edition listings. 

/blows dust off volume 1

The time is now.

I've never read the book and only have a vague memory of the mini series with Richard Chamberlain. (Holy shit, he's still alive, 89 years old)

Is the book as brutal as the trailers for this show indicate? I don't recall the previous mini series to be especially brutal.

Edited by Corvinus85

48 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've never read the book and only have a vague memory of the mini series with Richard Chamberlain. (Holy shit, he's still alive, 89 years old)

Is the book as brutal as the trailers for this show indicate? I don't recall the previous mini series to be especially brutal.

The book is extremely violent, and represented a clash of horrifically oppressive attitudes. From a modern perspective, there are no "heroes" in the book, and no culture or viewpoint to really advocate as the "good" culture or viewpoint.

It's great!

I am looking forward to this as well. I’ve read the book and watched the old miniseries but don’t remember much at all.

Is it Toshiro Mifune in the tv show? 

ETA: Yes, it is, and John Rhys-Davies is in it as well? :idea:

Edited by kissdbyfire

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I remember being excited from the trailer before a movie mos back and then forgetting the details as time passed. Where and when does this stream?

FX.  Streamed on Hulu.  Which is now included on Disney+ i think?  idk

The good thing about the program starting while I'm gone is there will be several episode available when I return, which, if it is any good, will be an excellent way to decompress.

It's years since I've read it (I also enjoyed the mini-series).

I do remember Lord Yabu composing a haiku, as he listened to a prisoner being boiled alive, contrasting his inner tranquility with the man's anguish.

First episode was excellent. Really great performances, set design, costuming, and the politicking was clear and well-handled, from the big-picture stuff in Osaka right down to Blackthorne working out how to handle Yabushige.

Getting slight James Purefoy-in-his-prime vibes from Cosmo Jarvis as well.

Nestor Carbonell as the Spanish working for the Portuguese who seemed to learn English from a Scotsman is also incredibly entertaining.

Both released episodes are superb. Finally some good television to fill the absence of Succession, Barry, and Better Call Saul.

There have been some changes, and the focus is much more on Toranaga and the politicking in Japan rather than the culture shock from Blackthorn's point of view, and I am absolutely fine with it. Even with ten episodes, the book is over a thousand pages long and very fast-paced with a lot going on, so it was wise of the writers to choose what to focus on. And the politicking in the book (and the show) is fantastic. Even some of the added scenes that weren't in the book capture the Clavell's tone and dialogue very well.

This is a show with a large Asian presence and strong women characters, and whose co-writer and co-creator is a woman and person of color (Japanese) yet somehow I suspect there won't be a campaign about how detractors are racist sexists in this case because the show is superb and doesn't require that crutch to lean on. The imdb rating is a 9.4 right now. I guess the racist sexists haven't caught on about this show is the narrative we have to go with.

38 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Getting slight James Purefoy-in-his-prime vibes from Cosmo Jarvis as well.

Too many reviews compare this show with Game of Thrones, when really Rome is a more apt comparison: a fantastically well crafted and written historical fiction that takes place in a brutal oppressive society.

Anyway, excellent writing, acting, directing, sumptuous visuals, etc., so far. I'm very pleased.