UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The queen was respected by most people, even a lot not in fsvour of a monarchy. The whoke recent furore has turned William into a joke. Conspiracy theories are entering the mainstream, and the RF are doing nothing to quosh them. 

She ded. 

2 hours ago, Liffguard said:

If it were up to me, organisations would be banned from donating entirely, only donations from individuals allowed, with a maximum of £500 per person per year.

Can we belay that legislation until I've bought the Labour Party and chucked Starmer out on his ear. 

My personal theory is that Catherine is so sick and tired of William's catting around that she's rightly pissed off and the only way she can get back at him is to "disappear" for a while, letting him and his surrounding lackeys explain her absence -

which they've been doing in an extremely inept way.  

My theory is Catherine ran off to Spain with Spocky. From Prince of Wales to the Weed King of England. His claims about using tinder in Spain (yeah right) was just a ruse. Spocky ofc has to deny it to keep the Spooks of his trail.

I know you are all eagerly waiting for the Mail reports on how the next generation of English royal have turned into a bunch of stoners in Spain. Spocky's way of bringing an end to the Royal Family is way less bloody then Copper manufacturing evidence in murder trial only to be undone by cover ups and him going slowly insane in the process, but (almost) equally entertaining.

But spocky, between us. Don't you think the Queensize bed was a bit too much on the nose?

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

With his brother gravely ill, one nephew in exile and another heading to jail, no obstacle remains to Andrew's reign as King Regent over George, Charlotte and Louis. The next step... move their bedrooms to the Tower...

I think he’d have to get rid of Harry permanently for that, simply living abroad doesn’t disqualify him.

But if that does happen then the only solution is for Anne to raise a rebellion.

20 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

I think he’d have to get rid of Harry permanently for that, simply living abroad doesn’t disqualify him.

But if that does happen then the only solution is for Anne to raise a rebellion.

I watched the King Ralph documentary, even being a quintessential American bozo doesn't disqualify you. Harry is fine...though people are getting shot by random people all the time in that country.

26 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Who do you think is behind the removal of Harry's protection detail?

Frankly I’d back Anne against the lot of them combined.

and she can get the son in law involved for any rough stuff

Edited by Deedles

When I was in Barcelona, I played a little game: Count the Potholes. 

Didn't see a single one, and the streets were immaculately clean. 

Arrived back at Britain's flagship, state of the art, Heathrow Terminal 5, and the moment I leave the short stay car park there were massive fucking craters in the road.

Embarrassing. 

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Arrived back at Britain's flagship, state of the art, Heathrow Terminal 5, and the moment I leave the short stay car park there were massive fucking craters in the road.

Embarrassing. 

Same as in Madrid and everywhere else.  Then, back in deteriorating, dysfunctional, dirty, ugly NYC, with all those so-called dining sheds which are rat condos ... good grief. (Saw not a single rat in any of the 6 citiies we were in. Not even at night.)  Not to mention the over-the-counter remedies one gets in the Spanish farmacias, for instance, cold symptom medications that actually work and don't turn your brain to mush -- just for starters.

And the food!  All ingredients fresh and local!  The fruits!  The vegetables -- the lettuce!  The wine! The cerveza!  And there's nothing like drinking top o' the line brandy and sherry and vermouth at a distillery where it is made and aged from the local grapes, which they've been doing since the teens of the 18th century.  Nothing here that is classified to o' the line here compares.  Not even the organics.

Edited by Zorral

Definitely  there are areas of Spain that are very well maintained, especially tourist areas. More money and effort is put into basic stuff like that.

The other side of the coin is that things we take for granted in the UK can also be pretty shit over there. I’ve got relatives there and they constantly complain about the general slowness and inefficiency of basically everything, the UK is light speed in comparison.

I’ve seen road works that crippled town centres take years to complete and that sort of thing is pretty common.

4 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Embarrassing. 

I just had to drop my wife's best friend off at Heathrow so I was on the lookout. The roads were shit, but just day to day UK shit. 

I have to look into it, but recently the roads have massively deteriorated around london. I had a thought that it might be something to do with the weather; more extremes of heat and cold. I don’t think this is some sudden funding issue.

If you want to have good infrastructure, you need to pay for it. Roads, hospitals, schools. And not just physical infrastructure.

The weather plays a part, sure, but that is a funding issue, since we all need to pay more tax because of the effects of climate change. As people were warning us we would, forty years ago.

43 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I have to look into it, but recently the roads have massively deteriorated around london. I had a thought that it might be something to do with the weather; more extremes of heat and cold. I don’t think this is some sudden funding issue.

Some of the worst roads I've ever seen are on wembley High Road. Literal 8 inch deep pot holes everywhere.

If we can't have decent infrastructure in an area where our national stadium is, that needs to quickly move huge amounts of people in a small timeframe, and people from all over the world see fairly regularly. I don't hold up much hope for the rest of the country. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Definitely  there are areas of Spain that are very well maintained, especially tourist areas. More money and effort is put into basic stuff like that.

The other side of the coin is that things we take for granted in the UK can also be pretty shit over there. I’ve got relatives there and they constantly complain about the general slowness and inefficiency of basically everything, the UK is light speed in comparison.

I’ve seen road works that crippled town centres take years to complete and that sort of thing is pretty common.

I think it isn't as much an emphasis on the upkeep of tourist areas (even if there is some of that, naturally), but decentralisation, and the power (and especially the funding) of both regional and local governments. This both helps regions from being left too far behind (to an extent... the less populated and largely agricultural regions still struggle) and gives local governments the means to provide quality basic services like street cleaning and maintenance, pest control, water supply and sewage, etc. I strongly believe this is important for quality of life in Spain.

Of course, the other side of the coin is several sets of complex regulations emanating from different levels of government and the excessive bureaucracy that leads to the problems you mention. It has been slowly getting better, but still has a way to go.

I also think being in the EU helps Spain a great deal.

32 minutes ago, Mentat said:

being in the EU helps Spain a great deal.

Being a part of the EU helps all the countries in it, from what I've seen, and that includes France as well as Portugal, Slovakia, Ireland etc.

As far as Spain goes, we were in 6 cities, one of them twice. We had to spend some time in the parts of cities like Granada and Sevilla which are the contemporary, non-tourist, medieval cities, and those were equally spotless.  The highways were in perfect maintenance, well as the bridges. The truck stops terrific. The trains great, as well as the connections and transport to and through the airports to get to where one needed to be.  What then did get kind of messy though, is boarding, at least for Iberia, which airline seems not to be working so well.  It can't be that it doesn't have money because the flights are always fully booked.

I don't know if it's still going on exactly this way, but I remember around the time I was leaving England 10 years ago they started resurfacing roads, when they did, with absolutely shit material where the top layer would disintegrate almost immediately in the first rain. One road had to be redone immediately after because the top layer pretty literally turned to gravel and they had to temporarily limit a national speed limit road to something stupid like 20mph (can't remember exactly). But even less extreme examples were seeing damage very quickly. 

I dunno quite how widespread that was (this was in Hertfordshire) but I imagine it was a symptom of cost-cutting measures and even if they improved whatever was happening then (which, you know, I doubt), you'll still be seeing the aftereffects.  Even if it wasn't quite as bad as the most extreme examples I saw, I'd still be fairly confident that roads that were scheduled for a full resurface in a couple more decades are way ahead of schedule on falling apart.