UK politics - not inspiring but effective

BigFatCoward

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't know if it's still going on exactly this way, but I remember around the time I was leaving England 10 years ago they started resurfacing roads, when they did, with absolutely shit material where the top layer would disintegrate almost immediately in the first rain. One road had to be redone immediately after because the top layer pretty literally turned to gravel and they had to temporarily limit a national speed limit road to something stupid like 20mph (can't remember exactly). But even less extreme examples were seeing damage very quickly. 

I dunno quite how widespread that was (this was in Hertfordshire) but I imagine it was a symptom of cost-cutting measures and even if they improved whatever was happening then (which, you know, I doubt), you'll still be seeing the aftereffects.  Even if it wasn't quite as bad as the most extreme examples I saw, I'd still be fairly confident that roads that were scheduled for a full resurface in a couple more decades are way ahead of schedule on falling apart. 

Definitely a load of roads near me that were redone only a year or two ago have massive potholes in them, and a lot of them appeared almost at the same time. I suspect there is something in what you said. 

So is the Mordaunt conspiracy legit, is there going to be a new PM, who gives up all her PM powers to be a sock puppet for the just one faction of the Party?

8 hours ago, mormont said:

If you want to have good infrastructure, you need to pay for it. Roads, hospitals, schools. And not just physical infrastructure.

The weather plays a part, sure, but that is a funding issue, since we all need to pay more tax because of the effects of climate change. As people were warning us we would, forty years ago.

It's a bit old, but some of the 1%ers appear to get it, https://www.theguardian.com/news/2023/jun/30/uk-super-rich-beware-pitchforks-torches-unless-they-do-more

However as I've said a few times, higher taxes, esp in countries like the UK with floating exchange rate sovereign currencies, aren't necessary. Different taxes, for sure, but for the average schmo there is no justification for a bigger tax burden, indeed for the average schmo there should be less tax.

Tax what is harmful (fossil fuels as an easy example) and unproductive (buying and selling existing houses and the passive income derived from renting such houses); don't tax (or lightly tax) things that are beneficial (building new houses) and productive (growing food sustainably, wages and salaries).

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I don't know if it's still going on exactly this way, but I remember around the time I was leaving England 10 years ago they started resurfacing roads, when they did, with absolutely shit material where the top layer would disintegrate almost immediately in the first rain. One road had to be redone immediately after because the top layer pretty literally turned to gravel and they had to temporarily limit a national speed limit road to something stupid like 20mph (can't remember exactly). But even less extreme examples were seeing damage very quickly. 

I dunno quite how widespread that was (this was in Hertfordshire) but I imagine it was a symptom of cost-cutting measures and even if they improved whatever was happening then (which, you know, I doubt), you'll still be seeing the aftereffects.  Even if it wasn't quite as bad as the most extreme examples I saw, I'd still be fairly confident that roads that were scheduled for a full resurface in a couple more decades are way ahead of schedule on falling apart. 

my neck of the woods (North East) it certainly seems like a road has just been resurfaced and then a matter of weeks later there's more roadworks.

I can't say the visuals of the Council spending are great though, in the past 4 years one of the main city centre streets has been re-envisaged 3 or 4 times - "Lets pedestrianize! Lets add a cycle lane! Lets remove the cycle lane! Lets widen the road! Let's widen then pavement for outdoor seating! Lets take that away!" There's been works pretty much non stop for years at this point

I looked at something on twitter and saw King Charles trending and was surprised to see its actually the conspiracies smoothly switching from Kate missing to Charles dead. We could package these up together, William decided he'd get immunity for killing Kate/that other guy I'm forgetting the name of if he's the King so offed dear old dad too. Potentially on St Patricks day no less!

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I looked at something on twitter and saw King Charles trending and was surprised to see its actually the conspiracies smoothly switching from Kate missing to Charles dead. We could package these up together, William decided he'd get immunity for killing Kate/that other guy I'm forgetting the name of if he's the King so offed dear old dad too. Potentially on St Patricks day no less!

Look, Kate and William was spotted going to her favourite farm shop in Windsor, there are a ton of headlines about it so it is real. Of course there are no photos of the event..why would there be photos?!

53 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Look, Kate and William was spotted going to her favourite farm shop in Windsor, there are a ton of headlines about it so it is real. Of course there are no photos of the event..why would there be photos?!

Be fair, there were plenty of front page photos. Such a shame they were all taken last year. Seems totally legit.

They really are just taking the piss now but judging by Twitter a lot of forelock tuggers seem to be keen to buy it.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

So what's the better bet, Kate was bitten by a zombie or a vampire and that's why they're hiding her? 

Can zombies learn photoshop?

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And again. Kate is very clearly in Spain with spocky. We clearly established that much. I assume she is still alive at this point... Spocky?!

Fuck, did she try to steal Maggie and things went sideways? Maybe while also telling him she's in love with Starmer? 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Can zombies learn photoshop?

Ed in Shaun of the Dead could still play video games, so maybe? 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Ed in Shaun of the Dead could still play video games, so maybe? 

Yeah I suppose Kate may have similar muscle memory when it comes to photoshop that Ed did playing video games.

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I suppose Kate may have similar muscle memory when it comes to photoshop that Ed did playing video games.

Would also explain why it was done poorly.

All hail the future zombie queen! 

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So is the Mordaunt conspiracy legit, is there going to be a new PM, who gives up all her PM powers to be a sock puppet for the just one faction of the Party?

I don't think so. Basically there's two schools of thought in the Conservative Parliamentary Party: those in mega-safe Tory seats who will (almost) certainly stay in post as an Opposition MP. Being an Opposition MP is actually great as you get all of the perks without having to actually deliver anything until the following election. Given the last eight years have been the most stressful in the Conservative Party's existence (at times seemingly, though unsuccessfully, existential), the idea of taking a time-out for these people is appealing. So this wing of the party, especially those in their 30s-50s, is thinking, "right, we'll lose the next election, let Starmer (probably) unsuccessfully try to fix the mess we've made, and we'll either get back in in 2029 or make a big clawback next time and can get ready for government in ten years."

For the very large contingent of the party who are not in that rare position, many of whom only became MPs in 2019 and were hoping to ride the gravy train for a lot longer, that's much less appealing, as they'll have to go back to getting a day job. So that wing of the party is looking frantically around for a last minute Hail Mary to save them at the election. But even this contingent is divided between those who think they need a hardcore rightist who can win on culture war issues (despite that not being very successful ground for campaigning so far) or a moderate centrist who can bring all the disparate parts of the party back into alignment through a sensible, pragmatic approach (I think Mordaunt is more the favoured candidate of the latter).

More seasoned observers basically agree it's all over, and the only thing that can save the Tories is a total collapse of Labour, Starmer being arrested unexpectedly, or some kind of mega-crisis at the last minute before the election that the Tories can successfully resolve (they may be hoping that Milei invades the Falklands, even if just a little bit, or if not they might be able to convince him to invade Brighton & Hove).

In your face, Bozo. And fuck you, Rees-Mogg. Stick yer Brexit red tape up yer inbred feckin' erses! 

Thanks to some extremely startup-friendly regulations in Ireland, the land of my people, Lazyscrog Technologies is now incorporated in the European Union. And eligible for another EUR2.5m in grant funding. :D

Ty, BFC, shit is ooooooon, lads.

Edited by Spockydog