The Small Stuff That Doesn't Need a Thread. #8

LongRider

23 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Which countries would you say have the best dental care, in terms of quality of care and cost? Because it certainly isn't here in the UK.

Anyways, asking for a friend who is about to drop a big stack 'o cash on a full set of dental implants.

I've heard good things about Turkey for dental work 

Dental implants can definitely be costly.  My husband had one tooth replaced and it cost roughly US$2K or so.  He had a bit of a complication as the post they put in first to hold the new tooth didn't heal in properly, requiring antibiotics, then re-implanting the post.  Can't imagine what implanting a mouthful of those puppies would be like.  Hope you don't smoke, Spocky, since that makes healing a much longer process.  

5 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

Dental implants can definitely be costly.  My husband had one tooth replaced and it cost roughly US$2K or so.  He had a bit of a complication as the post they put in first to hold the new tooth didn't heal in properly, requiring antibiotics, then re-implanting the post.  Can't imagine what implanting a mouthful of those puppies would be like.  Hope you don't smoke, Spocky, since that makes healing a much longer process.  

Stopped smoking about ten years ago. Just have a few bong hits in the evening now.

16 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Every time my father in law smiles i think, 'that's our inheritance you vain bastard'.  He also dropped about 20 grand on a private licence plate, but at least you normally get your money back on that. 

Mate, this has got nothing to do with vanity, and everything to do with the bizarro fact that our NHS seems to classify people's teeth as separate to the rest of their bodies.

I had to have my wisdom teeth out at aged 19. All four of them. All at once.

Now, quite apart from that being one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, bestowing upon me a deep terror of ever visiting the dentist, my NHS dentist summarily kicked me off their books about ten years ago. This after being with them since 1997, when my family moved to the area, and up until the point I gave up work in 2008, a full paying customer.

Anyways, back to the wisdom teeth.

One thing wisdom teeth do, it would appear, is hold all the others in place. Which I have discovered over the course of the past ten years or so, as, one by one, most of my back teeth took turns to wobble themselves loose.

My mum paid for me to go to the dentist once when I developed a nasty toothache.  In total, they charged her about £3500 for root canal, that had to be redone twice. She's got a few quid, but I can't have her dropping that kind of money on me every time I get a toothache.

So, since then, I've been one of the millions of British people you read about who have been forced to either a) suffer through ridiculous, sometimes life-threatening pain, because there are zero NHS dentists in their area any more, or b) pull their own fucking teeth out because the pain became simply intolerable.

I tried the latter once. JFC.

So, now it really does look like I'm going to be filthy fucking rich, and seeing as I ain't never gonna have any nepo-scroungers hanging off my man-teats looking for an inheritance, I'm going treat myself to a brand new set of chompers.

:D

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Mate, this has got nothing to do with vanity, and everything to do with the bizarro fact that our NHS seems to classify people's teeth as separate to the rest of their bodies.

I had to have my wisdom teeth out at aged 19. All four of them. All at once.

Now, quite apart from that being one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, bestowing upon me a deep terror of ever visiting the dentist, my NHS dentist summarily kicked me off their books about ten years ago. This after being with them since 1997, when my family moved to the area, and up until the point I gave up work in 2008, a full paying customer.

Anyways, back to the wisdom teeth.

One thing wisdom teeth do, it would appear, is hold all the others in place. Which I have discovered over the course of the past ten years or so, as, one by one, most of my back teeth took turns to wobble themselves loose.

My mum paid for me to go to the dentist once when I developed a nasty toothache.  In total, they charged her about £3500 for root canal, that had to be redone twice. She's got a few quid, but I can't have her dropping that kind of money on me every time I get a toothache.

So, since then, I've been one of the millions of British people you read about who have been forced to either a) suffer through ridiculous, sometimes life-threatening pain, because there are zero NHS dentists in their area any more, or b) pull their own fucking teeth out because the pain became simply intolerable.

I tried the latter once. JFC.

So, now it really does look like I'm going to be filthy fucking rich, and seeing as I ain't never gonna have any nepo-scroungers hanging off my man-teats looking for an inheritance, I'm going treat myself to a brand new set of chompers.

:D

:grouphug:

Unsurprisingly, considering the depths of my ignorance concerning the military campaigns of WWII, I'd never known this.  On the other hand, the information about the Ghost Army remained classified until 1996, so maybe not so surprising.

‘Ghost Army’ that fooled Hitler will receive Congress’s highest honor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2024/03/18/ghost-army-wwii-congressional-gold-medal/

.... Armed with sound effects, costumes, scripts and props, the 23rd Headquarters Special Troops and its sister unit, the 3133rd Signal Service Company Special, brandished Hollywood-worthy stagecraft in European theaters of war to dupe the German army about the location and size of Allied forces. The 1,100 sound engineers, radio broadcasters, fashion designers, admen, artists, actors and theater set designers unofficially known as the “Ghost Army” masqueraded as a combat force more than 30 times its actual size.

Operating as close as a quarter-mile from the front lines, the Ghost Army is credited with saving the lives of tens of thousands of American soldiers by luring away the enemy during more than 20 full-scale deception campaigns.

Subterfuge has been an integral part of warfare from the time the Greeks wheeled a wooden horse to the gates of Troy. Even during World War II, Operation Fortitude’s elaborate ruse convinced German forces that the D-Day invasion would strike Calais, not Normandy.

Yet the Ghost Army — nicknamed the “Cecil B. DeMille Warriors” by one member — is unique in the annals of warfare, according to Rick Beyer, co-author of “The Ghost Army of World War II” and producer and director of a 2013 documentary on the force.

“It’s the first mobile, multimedia, tactical deception unit in the history of warfare,” he said. “They are capable of projecting their deception — visual, sound, radio, special effects — through all these different means, and they are essentially another arrow in the quiver of a battlefield commander to maneuver the enemy.” ....

Edited by Zorral

9 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Unsurprisingly, considering the depths of my ignorance concerning the military campaigns of WWII, I'd never known this.  On the other hand, the information about the Ghost Army remained classified until 1996, so maybe not so surprising.

‘Ghost Army’ that fooled Hitler will receive Congress’s highest honor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2024/03/18/ghost-army-wwii-congressional-gold-medal/

“It’s working, we’re luring large elements of the German Army away from our advancing units!”

”Great, where are they going?”

”…Um … here …?”

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Great, where are they going?”

”…Um … here …?”

Hey, you don't get a congressional gold medal w/o the heroics of putting yourself in the way of danger, do ya! :thumbsup:

A magnificent greet from a S.African Bull Elephant who is letting it be known intrusion is not appreciated.

Video enclosed-

https://abcnews.go.com/International/bull-elephant-lifts-safari-truck-carrying-tourists/story?id=108348355

Joy! Joy! Joy!  There is a National Lost Sock Day!

https://www.awarenessdays.com/awareness-days-calendar/national-lost-sock-day/#:~:text=Lost Sock Awareness Day takes,long lost pairs of socks.

Also, the washing machine does eat sox!

https://elpais.com/smoda/bienestar/2024-03-30/donde-van-a-parar-todos-esos-calcetines-que-nos-desaparecen.html

.... Another more recent study was carried out by the Whirlpool Science Institute and this one confirmed what had always been suspected: the washing machine swallows the socks. According to the appliance company, the socks would remain in a kind of limbo: the space between the outer and inner drums of top-loading washing machines or under the rubber in the case of those that wash from the front. Places all of them that are out of sight and that would consider the mystery solved. Cathy Hind, who manages rental apartments in the United States with her husband, shared her discovery on the Bored Panda portal . When disassembling the washing machines in some of these buildings to repair them, they found dozens of socks trapped and which their owners at some point considered missing. ....

Just about to knock on Chops' bedroom door and gift him with this, my latest invention:

The Pantheon (prototype v1.0)

Dude has got millions of action figures, with dozens of his favourites currently arrayed across a chest of drawers in his room. He's given up trying to keep them upright. They are currently in a dusty, untidy heap, except for the ones I snaffled for my nefarious experiment. 

I can guarantee there ain't nobody falling over in Clarkey's Pantheon.

He has no clue about this. Never ever mentioned it to him. I had the idea ages ago but I've been so busy I didn't have a chance to sit down and knock it together. Can't wait to see his reaction.

Now I've got proof of concept, I'm going to knock up something a bit grander to occupy the top of his chest of drawers. I'm thinking a bespoke, six-tiered amphitheatre, set around a fighting pit. It's his birthday in about six weeks.

There will be no patent for The Pantheon. The world can have this one for free. Imma probably knock them out on Etsy to make a bit of pocket money. Mwah. Mwah. Mwah.

Edited by Spockydog

35 minutes ago, Tears of Lys said:

I don't know who any of those action figures are, but they are amazingly detailed.

And EVERYONE should have a brother as great as you!

They're all from Doctor Who, except Poe Dameron (the only action figure I own) and my lucky pirate bookending the front row.

Chops is honestly the kindest, most gentle person you could ever hope to meet. He's done more for me than he'll ever know, so putting this together for him was nothing. I love making things, and this was great fun. Locked myself in my room for a couple of hours this afternoon. Told him I was cleaning jewellery under orders from the Mothership and I had to keep Maggie out in case she ate a diamond.

Edited by Spockydog

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Just about to knock on Chops' bedroom door and gift him with this, my latest invention:

The Pantheon (prototype v1.0)

Dude has got millions of action figures, with dozens of his favourites currently arrayed across a chest of drawers in his room. He's given up trying to keep them upright. They are currently in a dusty, untidy heap, except for the ones I snaffled for my nefarious experiment. 

I can guarantee there ain't nobody falling over in Clarkey's Pantheon.

He has no clue about this. Never ever mentioned it to him. I had the idea ages ago but I've been so busy I didn't have a chance to sit down and knock it together. Can't wait to see his reaction.

Now I've got proof of concept, I'm going to knock up something a bit grander to occupy the top of his chest of drawers. I'm thinking a bespoke, six-tiered amphitheatre, set around a fighting pit. It's his birthday in about six weeks.

There will be no patent for The Pantheon. The world can have this one for free. Imma probably knock them out on Etsy to make a bit of pocket money. Mwah. Mwah. Mwah.

Will you fly here and finish a similar project for me that's been collecting dust for like two years?