US Politics: Courting Justice...or Disaster?

13 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

Biden's pushed through quite a bit of legislation in a difficult political climate--and despite the infrastructure bill not being what we need, that's not on him. It's a lot better than what we've had. Biden's done a lot of quiet things too--supporting unions (I know about the whole railroad issue too), hell, how is he the first President to formally acknowledge the Armenian genocide during World War I? He tells Putin to his face what he thinks of him, and let's be honest--he's the best democratic president lots of us have ever had (Clinton and Obama for me). 

He's not perfect, but I'm surprised how much he's accomplished.

Interesting.  Why would you say he's better than Obama?  Scaling back the War on Terror and drone bombings?  Or something else? 

Good grief, Bibi&Co initially believed they would hire Dershowitz to defend them in the Hague!

As Gaza Death Toll Mounts, Israel’s Isolation Grows
A worsening humanitarian crisis has brought a wave of condemnation against Israel’s ongoing military operation, and is testing the support of even its staunchest ally, the United States.

Shared/gift link --

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/22/world/middleeast/gaza-death-toll-israel.html?unlocked_article_code=1.XU0.-U_0.o0QOK6b5EMsa&smid=url-share

Will Biden’s Gaza Stance Hurt Him in 2024? Michigan Is the First Test.
With the state’s primary election set to gauge Democratic anger over the president’s position on Israel, some of his supporters worry about lasting political fallout

Shared/gift link --

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/22/us/politics/biden-michigan-gaza.html?unlocked_article_code=1.XU0.zoLG.8wZ3FL17bgd6&smid=url-share

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Missouri Republican Representative says “God doesn’t make mistakes” while discussing rape and incest exceptions to a Missouri abortion ban.

:frown5:

https://youtu.be/Mm-VNQ53eC8?si=rSoH0TBB65nc8kOF

Then... everything that happens has god's seal of approval? :wacko:

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That appears to be her contention.

I’m sure she’s a very devout religious person who knows what she’s talking about. /s

I mean, seriously. I’m a diehard atheist, and even I can see that a god - nonexistent, hypothetical or very real depending on one’s religious beliefs or lack thereof - would be turning in their grave and pulling out all their hair if they heard something like that. I imagine they’d  (the god person) be feeling the same way irt all the hate & bigotry & nastiness. But the fuck do I know. 

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I'm still kinda amused you named your dog Bella.

Reveal hidden contents

Language lesson for those unfortunate souls to have clicked on teh spoiler tag.

bellen is the German verb meaning to bark. So Bella is one of the most stereotypical names you could give to a dog.

Altho, as we all know dogs that bark don't bite. You probably should have named her Chewey.

Her original name when she was adopted was Cinderella. I hated it and figured she'd recognize Bella enough. But I mostly call her Bitey or Booboo. Or Smella. She responds to all of them. 

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My job and my family are here.  Moving from Columbia SC to Greenville SC has been a hand grenade in my family life that is still ricocheting… moving north would be even worse.  

:(

Better to move to Virginia or Maryland than Florida. :P

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’m sure she’s a very devout religious person who knows what she’s talking about. /s

I mean, seriously. I’m a diehard atheist, and even I can see that a god - nonexistent, hypothetical or very real depending on one’s religious beliefs or lack thereof - would be turning in their grave and pulling out all their hair if they heard something like that. I imagine they’d  (the god person) be feeling the same way irt all the hate & bigotry & nastiness. But the fuck do I know. 

I’m a fairly religious person… and I don’t.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Her original name when she was adopted was Cinderella. I hated it and figured she'd recognize Bella enough. But I mostly call her Bitey or Booboo. Or Smella. She responds to all of them. 

Better to move to Virginia or Maryland than Florida. :P

There isn’t enough money on the planet to pay me to move to Florida… and that was before Desantis.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m a fairly religious person… and I don’t.  

That was my point, that’s why I indicated sarcasm ( /s ) in the first sentence!
I know a lot of religious people who are actually religious who are constantly horrified by these nutjobs that use religion and faith and god to spew vile stuff. There’s just so many of them everywhere, it’s quite disgusting and alarming.

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

That was my point, that’s why I indicated sarcasm ( /s ) in the first sentence!
I know a lot of religious people who are actually religious who are constantly horrified by these nutjobs that use religion and faith and god to spew vile stuff. There’s just so many of them everywhere, it’s quite disgusting and alarming.

Precisely.  Who wants to call rape or incest “a blessing from God”.

:shocked:

25 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well on one of the Brittle Brothers Django shoots he has Bible pages all over him, so maybe god did give his seal of approval there? 

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

There isn’t enough money on the planet to pay me to move to Florida… and that was before Desantis.

You'd take a free house on Star Island and a Ferrari in a second. Don't lie. 

ETA: I lived in Liberty City for a short bit, and even that was fun. 

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

40 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Apparently, according to her, rape and incest do.    :bang:

35 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

“Everything happens for a purpose!”

:stillsick:

Here's another good one. Conformity and rape babies. That's what being American is about.

Darryl George: Texas judge rules school district can restrict the length of male’s natural hair

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/22/us/darryl-george-crown-act-trial-texas-reaj/index.html

In January, Poole placed a full page ad in the Houston Chronicle, arguing that “being an American requires conformity with the positive benefit of unity,” CNN previously reported.

“Barbers Hill ISD will continue to make decisions to protect and fight for the rights of its community to set the standards and expectations for our school district even if that path takes us to the U.S. Supreme Court,” he wrote in the ad.