US Politics: Courting Justice...or Disaster?

2 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

South? What do you mean south? 

Fairly certain he lives in one of the Carolinas. Get that Northerner outta here!

SC is literally where the Civil War was started. You're just in the swamp. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

SC is literally where the Civil War was started. You're just in the swamp. 

North!

(It’s a geographical joke dude, I live in Louisiana)

Edited by A True Kaniggit

11 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Why do you think Biden has done an excellent job?  I am not a Biden hater, but I feel like it's a pretty mixed bag. 

Biden's pushed through quite a bit of legislation in a difficult political climate--and despite the infrastructure bill not being what we need, that's not on him. It's a lot better than what we've had. Biden's done a lot of quiet things too--supporting unions (I know about the whole railroad issue too), hell, how is he the first President to formally acknowledge the Armenian genocide during World War I? He tells Putin to his face what he thinks of him, and let's be honest--he's the best democratic president lots of us have ever had (Clinton and Obama for me). 

He's not perfect, but I'm surprised how much he's accomplished. 

11 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

The best rationale I heard coming from the SCOTUS arguments is that we can't let states make these decisions on their own, which I think is reasonable. Not necessarily decisive, but reasonable. I am sure that if the courts let Colorado knock Trump off the ballot, Texas would move instantly to do the same for Biden, and Ohio would follow, and so on. This should probably be something Congress decides, but of course Congress can't do much of anything. If Republicans wouldn't pass their own goddamn border bill because Trump was opposed, they certainly won't move to disquality Trump from office. 

To me it feels unjust given how they gave states control over women's bodies. 

As to the "anyone can be banned"--the Supreme Court can 100% write the decision so that doesn't happen. It's clear Trump incited an insurrection--you'd need clear evidence that any other candidate did the same. The insurrection is specific to the 14th amendment, so you couldn't say "Biden's off the ballot because he wasn't tough on the border and that's insurrection"--the word has a specific, legal definition. The Supreme Court--if they had any scruples--could dismiss any BS cases that come their way. 

On the other hand, I guess never underestimate the discord Republicans will sow if given an inch. 

Biden seems to be contemplating a series of Executive Orders that would mimic much of what was in the now-dead bipartisan immigration bill. Let the screaming begin..

Biden considering major new executive actions for southern border (msn.com)

Among the ideas under discussion include using a section of the Immigration and Nationality Act to bar migrants from seeking asylum in between U.S. ports of entry. The administration is also discussing tying that directive to a trigger — meaning that it would only come into effect after a certain number of illegal crossings took place, said the three people, who were granted anonymity to discuss private deliberations.

A trigger mechanism was part of a bipartisan Senate border deal that never reached the floor earlier this month. During the deal’s construction, President Joe Biden repeatedly said it would have given him the authority to “shut down” the border.

The administration is also discussing ways to make it harder for migrants to pass the initial screening for asylum seekers, essentially raising the “credible fear standard,” as well as ways to quickly deport others who don’t meet those elevated asylum standards. Two of the people said the policy announcements could come as soon as next week ahead of President Joe Biden’s State of the Union speech on March 7.

I'm not sure the Republicans shooting themselves in the foot on the border bill should be seen as a mistake that requires correction via executive order. Raising the bar for what qualifies as legitimate asylum and having some arbitrary number of crossings that triggers closure of the border doesn't fix a problem, it just makes it the problem of the poor and oppressed that no longer meet some arbitrary and mean spirited standard of misery, or just happen to be the Xth+1 person to try to cross the border. Democrats/Biden being dragged to the right on immigration to improve his elections chances is not something to be happy about at all.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I call it 20 foiled assassination attempts. Good instincts doggo. If your dog doesn't like someone pay attention to the dog.

It's 20 different incidents. The dog is clearly a twat. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Rookie numbers. Bella would probably be over 100 by now. 

I'm still kinda amused you named your dog Bella.

Spoiler

Language lesson for those unfortunate souls to have clicked on teh spoiler tag.

bellen is the German verb meaning to bark. So Bella is one of the most stereotypical names you could give to a dog.

Altho, as we all know dogs that bark don't bite. You probably should have named her Chewey.

So Trump has named his short list of potential running mates.

I know, kinda irrelevant since I'd be willing to bet that none of them will make it to the ticket as his running mate, but still kinda funny, that his Sinister Six did not include Stefanik.

On a general observational note. Why are all those black Republican Presidential hopefuls (or rather hopeless) so bloody subserviant and creepy. Last time it was Ben Carson, who unsurprisingly turned out to be one big grifter in his position on the administration. But boy, that Tim Scott dude takes the cake. He has a literal front row seat, when the orange doofus shit talks him, and he just sits there with a shit eating grin asking for seconds. This is utterly spineless, that I kinda want to see hard evidence, that Tim Scott is an actual person and not just Lindsey Graham in blackface.

11 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

Why stay in the south then? 

My job and my family are here.  Moving from Columbia SC to Greenville SC has been a hand grenade in my family life that is still ricocheting… moving north would be even worse.  

:(

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

Quite. If he'd had it put down after 5 the other 15 couldn't have happened. 

Bloody German Shepherds have been completely ruined by stupid breeders in North America. For decades they’ve been bred to be aggressive, for the security dog trade. I see from stories the dog has had lots of training sessions. The Bidens had the same issue with their previous German Shepherd, Major, the dog having been banished from the White House. I think Commander has been banished now as well.

One of the stories says the White House tours had to be stopped at one point to clean up a puddle of blood near the gift shop, for crying out loud.

The Bidens love the breed, having had other German Shepherds in the past. It’s unfortunate they’ve had bad luck with two dogs in a row. Decades ago you saw people in the park around here with German Shepherds but they’ve completely vanished now. In my local area there were some bad incidents with the breed and dogs were put down. The only trace of them is cross-bred mutts that have obvious GS looks.

Oh, and that slender look was bred for, and the breed became notorious for hip dysplasia. People stayed away from the breed because no one wants monster-sized vet bills with the end result of advice from the vet to put the dog down because it’s in such pain.

The joints are a general vulnerability for bigger breeds, if I am not mistaken. Hip and elbow dsyplasia (HD & ED) are problem for pure breeds (inherent inbreeding), with the big breeds the issue is just worse, because there's more mass/weight to be moved around.

HD is also not that uncommon in retrievers or rottweilers. So it's really not German Sheperd specific problem.