US Politics: Courting Justice...or Disaster?

20 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Interesting.  Why would you say he's better than Obama?  Scaling back the War on Terror and drone bombings?  Or something else? 

Personally, precisely that for me. He ran on peace, on closing Camp Delta (in Gitmo), etc. Then he got in, upped the drone strikes, seemed to have little care for amassing civilian deaths, then instead of closing Gitmo, he worked behind the scenes to keep it open.

Also, Obama was a guy who ran on progressive change. Then, even while still in office, he starts lecturing voters who want actual progressives. He took clear sides on the young/old divide in the party, and he sided not only with the old, but the ancient. By 2020, his anti-left stances were infuriating. 

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Also there are trainers and trainers; in other words, the good, the bad, and the terrible.

One assumes the dog trainer is another holdover, Trump appointee who's trying to sabotage the current administration...

Edited by Jaxom 1974

31 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

One assumes the dog Rainer is another holdover, Trump appointee who's trying to sabotage the current administration...

Trump had a first dog named Rainer? I know he was big on his German blood, and got the GOP onboard for that 1930s Germany roleplay way too easily. But a first dog with a German name, c'mon now. (guess at least it wasn't a German Shepherd by the name Blondie). And I thought the first dog's name was Lindsey.

44 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Trump had a first dog named Rainer? I know he was big on his German blood, and got the GOP onboard for that 1930s Germany roleplay way too easily. But a first dog with a German name, c'mon now. (guess at least it wasn't a German Shepherd by the name Blondie). And I thought the first dog's name was Lindsey.

I make no apologies for spelling errors prior to the first cup of coffee...

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Trump is famous for being the first president in a hundred years who didn’t have a dog.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I make no apologies for spelling errors prior to the first cup of coffee...

Drug addict. 

15 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I thought Eric was the dog.

More like a lame pet snake. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

More like a lame pet snake. 

That is an insult to all snakes everywhere! 

And yeah, I sort of mean it in the sense that these utterly despicable people can only be compared to each other and other similarly despicable individuals. :P

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

That is an insult to all snakes everywhere! 

Hey! I had a really cool pet snake. He was a rare lavender ball python named Adrian. I could stick my arm in his tank and he'd just wrap around it. Problem is the bastard escaped and was hiding for months. My step-dad's step-mom who was a biology prof found him quickly and after he went back into the tank he was a dick lol. Had to give him away.

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And yeah, I sort of mean it in the sense that these utterly despicable people can only be compared to each other and other similarly despicable individuals. :P

Nope, I will not make that joke. Too dark even for me.

And no, Eric is obviously a Komodo Dragon. A mislabeled overgrown reptile, which is toxic and feasts primarily on carrion and shouldn't be kept by humans.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

5 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And no, Eric is obviously a Komodo Dragon. A mislabeled overgrown reptile, which is toxic and feasts primarily on carrion and shouldn't be kept by humans.

That is an insult to komodo dragons everywhere! 

3 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

One assumes the dog trainer is another holdover, Trump appointee who's trying to sabotage the current administration...

Well, one cannot help but have in mind that the stinkin' pile did suborn a large number of Secret Agents in the POTUS detail -- and there were even imposters presenting as SA.

Woo -- look at those 10,551 comments!  Many of them comments from people who lost dear ones to measles or nearly died themselves or have had lasting impairment from measle,s

Florida surgeon general defies science amid measles outbreak

Shared/gift link --

https://wapo.st/49Gxfj9

.... Ben Hoffman, president of the American Academy of Pediatrics, said Florida’s guidance flies in the face of long-standing and widely accepted public health guidance for measles, which can result in severe complications, including death.

“It runs counter to everything I have ever heard and everything that I have read,” Hoffman said. “It runs counter to our policy. It runs counter to what the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] would recommend.”

Measles outbreaks have been on the rise in recent years. So far in 2024, at least 26 cases in at least 12 states have been reported to the CDC, about double the number at this point last year. In addition to the six cases confirmed in the Florida school, cases have been reported in Arizona, California, Georgia, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York City, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Virginia. ....

.... Because measles virus particles can linger in the air and on surfaces for up to two hours after an infected person leaves the area, up to 90 percent of people without immunity will contract measles if exposed. People who have been infected or received the full two doses of the MMR vaccine are 98 percent protected and very unlikely to contract the disease. That is why public health officials typically advocate for vaccination amid outbreaks.

“The reason why there is a measles outbreak in Florida schools is because too many parents have not had their children protected by the safe and effective measles vaccine,” said John P. Moore, a professor of microbiology and immunology at Weill Cornell Medical College. “And why is that? It’s because anti-vaccine sentiment in Florida comes from the top of the public health food-chain: Joseph Ladapo.” ....

Edited by Zorral

Pro-Israel Group Aims to Help Biden in Michigan Amid Gaza Unrest
The political arm of Democratic Majority for Israel is running a digital ad that does not mention the Gaza conflict but warns that voting “uncommitted” in the state’s primary will help Donald Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/23/us/politics/israel-biden-michigan-gaza.html

Reading about the Wisconsin electoral map victory, this does give me hope. The Wisconsin GOP have been some of the worst authoritarian bullies, just completely defying the will of the people. And yet the people didn't give up. 

The MAGA movement want us to lose heart, to eventually back down. But they can be worn down too, as long as we don't lose heart. We may need to crush them over and over again to do it.

I for one am down for that task. I want to see those fashy tears!

Edited by Phylum of Alexandria

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

Woo -- look at those 10,551 comments!  Many of them comments from people who lost dear ones to measles or nearly died themselves or have had lasting impairment from measle,s

Florida surgeon general defies science amid measles outbreak

Shared/gift link --

https://wapo.st/49Gxfj9

Another pair of dipsticks, this time from back East rather than Europe, visited The Valley of the Sun this month while suffering from measles, and they exposed everyone who was in the same locales down in the East Valley - restaurants, patios, patisseries, bars, stores, barbecues, etc. across Queen Creek, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe and Mesa.

Now the wait to see how many Anti-Vaxxers who live in these areas suddenly wish that they had, in fact, gotten the MMR jab for themselves, or more likely, their children.  This period of hushed wait and nervous discussions on Nextdoor/Facebook is eerily reminiscent of the week or so between the vanloads of Orthodox Jews arriving here in Scottsdale from NYC after the first news of Covid on the East Coast, and when Covid started showing up everywhere all at once up and down the city.  Lots of the same silly rumors mixed with irrelevant facts and crazy brave talk.

My neighbor, a doctor at Mayo Clinic, is so discouraged and downhearted about the whole thing, because he says that they know it will spread like crazy and cause serious issues among the unvaccinated.  He says he is afraid it will just be like Covid redux.

The persistence and maybe even worsening of this antivaxx trend is very discouraging. Not to mention completely idiotic and incredibly selfish. 

On a mostly unrelated note - and I say mostly b/c all this stuff connects through stupidity - conservatives in the US apparently want to ban recreational sex. At least this brilliant idea is one that will likely hurt them more than anyone else. 

https://www.alternet.org/experts-gop-end-recreational/

"Conservatives have to lead the way in restoring sex to its true purpose, & ending recreational sex & senseless use of birth control pills."