April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Posted (edited)

Reserved my parking spot for Long Point Provincial Park.  There's only 650 spots and parking was not suppose to be reservable until this Friday, but it opened early.  So at most will have a few thousand people on the beach, instead of millions in Niagara Falls two hours away.  It's within a few seconds of the same amount of totality as the Falls too, so I feel like I outsmarted the crowd.

But the weather forecast now says Mostly Cloudy.  :unsure:

Edited by SpaceChampion

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Conspiracy kooks make my head hurt.

*piss-take Klaxon*

I mean, I have no idea who this guy is. Never hard of him before today. But he asks a serious question.

Edited by Spockydog

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I mean, I have no idea who this guy is. Never hard of him before today. But he asks a serious question.

Seriously? There are myriads of articles out there talking about the experiments that are going to be done that can only be done during a solar eclipse.

It’s even been pointed out that Einstein used the solar eclipse of 1919 to prove his theory of relativity.

17 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Seriously?

On the other hand, what about the experiments they're not writing articles about? And please explain why these so-called "experiments" can only be performed during a total solar eclipse and not a partial solar eclipse. What the hell kind of science is this? And if they've got nothing to hide then why aren't they doing whatever they're doing in the clear light of day? I mean, think about it sheeple. Just what are they hiding? Eh? Eh? Eh?

Edited by Spockydog

12 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

It’s even been pointed out that Einstein used the solar eclipse of 1919 to prove his theory of relativity.

To be precise, Eddington and his colleagues provided experimental evidence that validated Einstein's general theory of relativity, by measuring positions of stars normally not visible during daytime compared to their position at night.

Having watched a 6-min eclipse quite some time ago, I have to say: if you're quite close to the path of totality and if you're free to take a few hours to go and see the full eclipse, do it. Don't hesitate a minute.

As others said, the difference between watching a partial eclipse (even when it's 70% covered) and a genuine full solar eclipse is beyond huge. It's comparing eating scraps of food you found in a public bin and eating in a 5-stars gourmet restaurant. To this date, it is the most impressive and amazing thing I've ever seen - and these include visiting great places like Acropolis, Teotihuacan, Ngorongoro, and flying around an erupting volcano.

So, I wish you a great weather; having shitty clouds hiding the spectacle would be just awful.

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The eclipse in Toronto is supposed to be 99.8%, not total, but I don’t think I’m going to risk the traffic to Niagara Falls.

GO train is operating extra rides there on the Lakeshore West line.  But at this point I suggest taking the train to Kingston instead.  Much clearer skies likely there.

Well if the forecast Monday morning for northern NE is cloudy then I'm just staying home and playing golf.  But the astronomy nerd child in me wants to be able to drive up to nearly the Canadian border and see the totality.

22 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The eclipse in Toronto is supposed to be 99.8%, not total, but I don’t think I’m going to risk the traffic to Niagara Falls.

We're committed to the Falls. We are driving tomorrow though and staying overnight.  I'm just embracing the madness.  

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

They say you'll be able to see the stars in the afternoon.

During the few minutes of total eclipse, and if there are no clouds around, you can see the brightest ones - and the occasional planet. Though I'd say it's not as obvious as during a moonless night - and often the range is more limited around the Moon/Sun, the sky isn't completely dark all around, and it's more a sunset-like sky the farther you go from the eclipse proper.

Though in Eastern US, the Sun will be quite low on the horizon, so a lot of the sky might be caught in the shadow cone.

I think I saw a total solar eclipse when I was a little kid.  I remember mostly the warnings about how to view it without burning out your retinas.  It's something you'll remember forever.