International events

Bironic

Ghanas Parliament has made a new law against LGBTQI, with 3 years prison for being indentifiable as LGBTQI and 5 years for spreading LGBTQI ideology. Previously only male homosexuality was illegal in Ghana, while female wasn’t. The law has still to be signed by the president to take effect. The legendary Uganda interview comes to my mind when I read this…

I wonder if in the case of Ghana or other African countries the hatred against LGBTQI was something that existed prior to the contact with abrahmitic religion or if it was mostly imported by Christian and Muslim missionaries…

In Switzerland the people have overwhelmingly voted for a 13th pension per year against all major Centre-right-extreme-right parties…

19 hours ago, Zorral said:

It's the US evangelicals doing this in Africa. They've been on it for decades. Plus labeling people practicing traditional religions witches and provoking crowd based executions, beatings, shunning.

It's not; it's something that is more easily blamed on the British

Colonisation and the spread of fundamentalist Christian attitudes from the British meant that much of Africa lost its previous cultural attitude towards sexual orientation and gender identity and were forced to adopt “new” values from British colonisers in the 19th and 20th centuries. Homophobia was legally enforced by colonial administrators and Christian missionaries. In 1910, Christians made up about 9 per cent of the population of sub-Saharan Africa; by 2010, the figure had leapt to 63 per cent. Anti-LGBT laws were not only written into constitutions, but also into the minds of many African people, and after the passing of several generations, this has become dogma.  

While many of the countries under British rule are now independent, the majority who still criminalise homosexuality, including Jamaica and Uganda, have carried over these laws from the colonial era. Generations later, many Africans now believe that an anti-gay attitude is one that is a part of their culture. So much so, that former Zimbabwean President Mugabe labelled homosexuality as a “white disease”.  

8 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

No, can't go blaming the Africans for their own homophobia now can we.

I mean you can, but per that article I linked that you almost assuredly didn't read African societies pre-colonization were significantly less homophobic than most modern European societies are today. 

35 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I mean you can, but per that article I linked that you almost assuredly didn't read African societies pre-colonization were significantly less homophobic than most modern European societies are today. 

So was Ancient Greece.. but so what. 

There is just something faintly patronising , and a bit racist, to give homophobic African societies a pass for their terrible views. Can’t keep blaming on colonialism forever you know. 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

So was Ancient Greece.. but so what. 

Last I checked the British didn't colonize the Greeks. 

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

There is just something faintly patronising , and a bit racist, to give homophobic African societies a pass for their terrible views. Can’t keep blaming on colonialism forever you know. 

I don't see why recognizing the roots of said homophobia in the actual colonization that took place, seeing historically how those things changed and caused those changes, and attributing that as the proximate cause is racist or patronizing. That's just history and how it works. I also don't understand giving them a pass here; this doesn't excuse the behavior or accept it, it just points out that it isn't particularly a deep-seated viewpoint of historical Africa to be heavily homophobic. 

What a weird take - that somehow recognizing the actual cause of something means that you're now accepting the current behavior. Understanding how a disease takes root and spreads doesn't mean you're not wanting to fight the disease. 

It's just apologia for British (and conservative Christian) colonialism. Which also happens to look a lot like dog whistle racism. After all if Britain can evolve to be way less LGBTQ+ phobic than it was when it was the colonial ruler of parts of Africa, then Africa should have socially evolved too. So if they haven't it means they are to be faulted and thus are culturally inferior in some way.

Cultureism is the modern day respectable face of racism. Y'know like how people like Ben Shapiro say that black American gun crime is a black American "culture" problem, not a gun control problem.

This belies that many of the countries in Africa that have laws against homosexuality are majority-Muslim, and indeed Nigeria would be an interesting place to look: the mostly-Christian southern Nigeria has prison sentences for homosexuality, yes, but the mostly-Muslim northern Nigeria has the death penalty (by stoning). 

The key factor in the rise of anti-homosexuality attitudes in Africa is that it's reactionary to the liberalization of attitudes in much of the rest of the world, and you'll see this again and again in the rhetoric (including the argument that homosexuality was brought to Africa by Europeans)

Highlighting differences is used the world over by demagogues, nationalists, autocrats, and dictators to further their own political ends. It's no different in Africa.

Edited by Ran

No different. Taught and learned from the last decades' blatant use by Reagan, balsonaro, orban, putin, bibi, modi, the Tories and of course all the varieties of xtian dominions and fascism in the US, and all the neo nazi movements here and in Europe.

We do monitor Africa constantly for reasons of music, history and contemporary information, not limited to travel.

Edited by Zorral

55 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Taught and learned

I’ll just echo that this sort of view is infantilizing at best, racist at worst. It’s really bizzare  that you don’t seem to recognize it.

Edited by Ran

I will echo that refusal to recognize that how the currents of what is acceptable, who to persecute, who to deride who to attack, in the powerful nations of one period, are followed by other nations, particularly if funding and other goodies come with that for power at home. Basic politics since forever.

25 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Its really difficult to parse out the differences between Xtians and Islamist when they set their eyes on persecuting the LGBTQ, they being pretty similarly just different shades on a ugly stone imo.

Hey now, we already figured that out - one side wants to just put them in jail forever, the other side wants to kill them. That's downright progressive

• Ran locked this topic