International events

Bironic

Alt-right pajama party! :rofl:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/brazils-jair-bolsonaro-hid-out-at-hungarian-embassy-as-investigators-closed-in-report-says

Four days prior to his sojourn, Brazilian federal police seized Bolsonaro’s passport and arrested two of his former aides on allegations they conspired to overturn the results of the 2022 election. Bolsonaro enjoys a close relationship with Hungarian leader Viktor Orban, and the Times theorized that his stay at the embassy might have been a “bid for asylum.” The federal police announced Monday they would investigate the embassy trip, according to The Brazilian Report.

On 3/25/2024 at 8:42 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Court ruling effectively outlaws Islamic schools in India’s most populous state

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/24/india/india-madrasa-court-ruling-uttar-pradesh-intl-hnk

To be fair religious education has no place in a secular democracy, but when one blatantly moves against it for ulterior/malign motives while harbouring intents to start their own, ugh. As a first time voter my choices are dogshit horseshit bullshit and no shit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2024-03-28/supply-chain-latest-baltimore-s-destroyed-bridge?

Russian warships have crossed the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait and entered the Red Sea, the state-run Tass news agency said, venturing into a maritime region plagued by Houthi attacks and crowded with other countries’ naval vessels.

19 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

URGENT UPDATE!
Apparently he wasn’t hiding or trying to escape Justice. No, no. It just so happens that Hungarian intelligence uncovered a Venezuelan plot to assassinate him, and that’s why he went to the Hungarian embassy and stayed there for a couple of sleepovers and even brought a coffee machine (wut?). These bloody Venezuelans, I bet it was the same ones that stole the US election from Mango by doing something something to the Dominion voting machines. /s

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

URGENT UPDATE!
Apparently he wasn’t hiding or trying to escape Justice. No, no. It just so happens that Hungarian intelligence uncovered a Venezuelan plot to assassinate him, and that’s why he went to the Hungarian embassy and stayed there for a couple of sleepovers and even brought a coffee machine (wut?). These bloody Venezuelans, I bet it was the same ones that stole the US election from Mango by doing something something to the Dominion voting machines. /s

As long as he stays away from the Saudi embassy.

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

As long as he stays away from the Saudi embassy.

I think he’s over SA. Or maybe he just knows he’s not gonna get any more treasure from them? Or he’s certain he won’t be able to keep it and/or sell it in the US? Who knows, so many crimes, so little time. 
Anyhoo, apparently his lawyers are now begging the SC to give him his passport back because he must go to Israel because Bibi invited him. I wouldn’t hold my breath, but maybe he should. 

Turkey's main opposition party appeared set to retain its control over key cities in local elections, preliminary results showed, in a major upset to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan who had set his sights on retaking control of those urban areas.

https://www.euronews.com/2024/03/31/turkish-opposition-leads-in-vote-to-run-istanbul-and-other-key-cities-preliminary-results-

Early results show Turkey’s opposition poised to retain key cities in local elections

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/early-results-show-turkeys-opposition-poised-to-retain-key-cities-in-local-elections

So ... 70% inflation and his banking policies were unpopular with Turkeys voters?

Very interesting.  Erdogan won last year in similar conditions but he wasn't running himself this time, which probably did matter.

There is a question about whether this is his last term.  He is 70 years old and his final term is supposed to end in 2028.  But there could still be shenanigans (e.g. apparently if they call for early elections, he is entitled to run since he didn't complete his full term).  The repeated failure of his party when he doesn't run may give him pause for reflection.  But he did say very recently that this was his last election.  Before he lost.

On 3/28/2024 at 5:10 PM, TheLastWolf said:

To be fair religious education has no place in a secular democracy, but when one blatantly moves against it for ulterior/malign motives while harbouring intents to start their own, ugh. As a first time voter my choices are dogshit horseshit bullshit and no shit.

That doesn't quite make sense. Do you man in state schools in a secular democracy, or are you suggesting all schools run by religious organisations should be banned?

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

all schools run by religious organisations

not the same as religious education 

sorry but i cant reconcile it with the word secular

11 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

not the same as religious education 

sorry but i cant reconcile it with the word secular

Schools run by religious organisations typically include religious education as part of their curriculum.

4 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Schools run by religious organisations typically include religious education as part of their curriculum.

Fair. I'm against that too 

Regarding India's Madrasa ban, I thought the controversy stemmed from the double standard with a branch of Hindu schools that are sort of a Madrasa equivalent only for Hinduism and they arent being subjected to the ban?

We may need clarification from our posters from India to unpack the issue better?

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Regarding India's Madrasa ban, I thought the controversy stemmed from the double standard with a branch of Hindu schools that are sort of a Madrasa equivalent only for Hinduism and they arent being subjected to the ban?

On 4/1/2024 at 3:28 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

but when one blatantly moves against it for ulterior/malign motives while harbouring intents to start their own,

Yep, you are right. 

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

We may need clarification from our posters from India to unpack the issue better?

Minority persecution here has reached levels akin to the tensions prevailing at the time of Partition. So if you get your hands on such news, needless to say, the severity is far more when and where it occurs.

But regards religious education, I, as a rationally inclined adult, prefer my country, if it calls itself secular, to allow a healthy environment for anyone to practice their faith by choice/birth. But where I draw the line is in institutionalizing of kids by any religion, which has led only to indoctrination, zealotry and far worser and wide ranging problems. How can there be a harmonious coexistence in society if a child from birth is exposed/allowed interaction only with his so called 'kind' and thus easily prepared to ha- better left unsaid for dramatic effect.

Edited by TheLastWolf

15 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

We’re accustomed to Israel operating w/impunity, so it doesn’t register how anomalous an act like this is - attacking the embassy of a country they’re not at war with, in a country they’re also not at war with. It would be like the Russians bombing the US embassy in Latvia or Turkey. No other country in the world behaves this way.

Not saying this is good or bad. 

Bad for everyone and everything.  Not good for anyone or anything.

Including bacteria.

Including thee and me.  

:bang:

:crying:

Edited by Zorral

• Ran locked this topic