US politics - Yes country for old men

Senator Britt getting slammed by the woman she lied about in the SOTU Republican rebuttal.  

Karla Jacinto Romero, the woman whose story Sen. Katie Britt appeared to have shared in the Republican response to the State of the Union last week, slammed the Alabama senator for inaccurately using her story to highlight Joe Biden’s immigration policies.

“In fact I hardly ever cooperate with politicians because it seems to me that they only want an image. They only want a photo, and that to me is not fair,” Romero told CNN on Sunday.

Sex trafficking survivor slams Britt for inaccurate story in SOTU response - POLITICO

18 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I think people's feelings about that are more complex, and it depends on whether or not one is actively thinking of selling their dwelling. Most of my friends who own property often complain about its value rising, because that then increases their property taxes. 

Most people don't actively think about it, but they will find pitchforks and torches pretty quickly if an elected official does anything that actively reduces their wealth.

Reminder that the Democratic majority was erased in 2010 in a single two-year election cycle over a minor increase in employer-based insurance plan costs that Republicans successfully tied in people's minds to the passage of ACA.

Also, retirement plans for a lot of people consist of downsizing to a cheaper home and living off the price difference.

Edited by Gorn

7 hours ago, mormont said:

Biden's best weapon on this is going to be any time Trump talks about the issue. Trump loves some 'strong man' rhetoric and he's going to say more along the lines of his 'finish the issue' comments. 

That's fair--I think Biden should really bait him into his whole "one state solution" he loved touting while he was president. That's pretty hard to ignore if you're concerned about Palestinian people (which I think we all are).

11 hours ago, DMC said:

On these threads?  Probably, yeah.  Among the American electorate?  Not so much, no.  What's dismissive would be ignoring/neglecting to emphasize the efforts your administration is employing to try and help you out.  Or even, say, getting the Republican House to pass a child tax credit extension last month.

I don't know--these reports often seem to be optimistic, but when you look around, it's hard to reconcile what the reports say versus what people are experiencing. 

I know where I live, our rent and housing costs are still rising consistently year to year. I'm in affordable housing, and my rent has gone up about 600 bucks a month since 2019. I looked around to see what's available, and everything (that's comparable to my current spot) is about 2300+ a month. Last year it was closer to 2100 a month.

The issue with data, I'm guessing, is that we have red states where housing costs actually are extremely low, and blue states where it's extremely high and we're not seeing any relief. The blue states struggling with this should be concerning for all of us who don't want to see a repeat of Trump.

That said, who knows what will ultimately resonate with voters. I just think being cautious about being optimistic on the economy would be the wise move. As others as said, maybe run on "we've made progress, but we have a long way to go."

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Biden was competitive in NC in 2020.  The abortion issue is a hot one there.  NC is worth some effort.

Maybe? Guess he should try and bring gas prices down there, then. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

…and go down in the fall when the voting starts.  As for “places Dems actually live,” uh, yeah, that too in lots of cases including most swing states.  Dunno what your point here is.

A couple points. First - why people feel like things kind of suck right now, and saying 'the economy is awesome' sounds flawed - because they can look at things like gas prices right now and say 'no, they aren't great'. Second, because a lot of the messaging is going to be currently going to bolster enthusiasm of dems and those prices in urban areas are higher, so once again saying how the economy is going great isn't really true. 

2 hours ago, DMC said:

If presidents lost just because prices go up every four years, nobody would get reelected.

If the only thing I said was about gas prices this would hit a lot harder. It's real telling to me that you're focusing heavily on the gas price thing when the bigger issue is on housing and debt costs, but sure, keep fucking that chicken. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

It is at the national level, was my point.  If we just talked about all sorts of prices in, say, California, Vegas, and NYC, that’s obviously going to be fundamentally different.

Rural prices largely don't matter because these are places Biden isn't going to win anyway. Biden needs to win in urban areas and absolutely dominate in turnout, and the problems of very large housing costs, increasing debt and the increased inflation on things that people regularly see on their day to day experiences hurts enthusiasm there. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Maybe? Guess he should try and bring gas prices down there, then. 

A couple points. First - why people feel like things kind of suck right now, and saying 'the economy is awesome' sounds flawed - because they can look at things like gas prices right now and say 'no, they aren't great'. Second, because a lot of the messaging is going to be currently going to bolster enthusiasm of dems and those prices in urban areas are higher, so once again saying how the economy is going great isn't really true. 

If the only thing I said was about gas prices this would hit a lot harder. It's real telling to me that you're focusing heavily on the gas price thing when the bigger issue is on housing and debt costs, but sure, keep fucking that chicken. 

Rural prices largely don't matter because these are places Biden isn't going to win anyway. Biden needs to win in urban areas and absolutely dominate in turnout, and the problems of very large housing costs, increasing debt and the increased inflation on things that people regularly see on their day to day experiences hurts enthusiasm there. 

What do you think people need to do?  How would you oppose a Trump re-election bid?

I really, really hope Cannon does something stupid like this, so the prosecution can appeal and request her removal. It would be smarter for her to simply drag her feet, but I'd much prefer egregious stupidity.

https://www.salon.com/2024/03/11/legal-expert-thinks-cannon-may-be-looking-to-toss-the-case-against-at-hearing/?in_brief=true

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I would too. However, that doesn’t DQ Trump from the presidency.

No, I do think it would tear away independents and center/moderate-voting Republicans.

I'd like to see the interview with Andy Biggs plastered in ads.

https://www.newsweek.com/christian-contfronts-andy-biggs-voting-joe-biden-1878071

Nick said he has moved around the country five times, registering as a Republican at each point, and that he views the country as being in a "strong" position based on his recent travels.

"I just registered as a Republican two months ago, for the fifth time yesterday, and I'm just going to leave with this comment. And that is I registered as a Republican because I'm a conservative, and I'm going to vote for Joe Biden because I'm a Christian," he said.

Biggs responded to the caller, saying that he "probably should have re-registered as a Democrat," while addressing his concerns about Trump and Republicans.

"If you're not voting for Donald Trump because you think he's not a Christian or not a moral man, I'm not going to say 'Look at Joe Biden.' I would just say we should all look at ourselves and see who's casting the first stone," he said.

These people won't even pretend to pander and stump to grow the base. It's fully DJT's madhouse.

Edited by Week

4 hours ago, LongRider said:

Did you know that Burning Man is in Northern Nevada?  It's true! 

Nevada's secret treasure, Wonderhussy, no longer lives there but is now just across the border in California. She has an extensive video library of her travels and adventures in Nevada.

Peter Navarro ordered to prison on March 19
The former Trump aide is urging an appeals court to step in and block the sentence while he appeals.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/11/peter-navarro-prison-march-19-00146225

Former Trump White House aide Peter Navarro has been ordered to report to a Miami prison on March 19 to begin serving a four month sentence for defying a subpoena from the Jan. 6 select committee.

Navarro, who is urging a federal appeals court to stay the sentence while he attempts to overturn his conviction, faces the prospect of becoming the first top adviser to Donald Trump to serve jail time for an offense related to the effort to subvert the 2020 election.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What do you think people need to do?  How would you oppose a Trump re-election bid?

Ah, the fabled 'if you don't think something is good you can't criticize it unless you have a better plan' argument. I'm sure you'll inform me of what fallacy that represents. 

I'm saying that running on the economy being great when your own supporters are not really agreeing with you - at least a lot of them - is a good way to alienate the people who you need to vote the most. And those are people that Biden is already losing too many of.

As to how I would oppose Trump - the problem is not really Trump; there are not going to be a ton of voters that are going to be convinceable to vote one way or another. The problem is getting the same people who voted last time to vote again against Trump. As mentioned having a conviction would help that some but that's almost certainly not going to happen. I think you need to remind everyone more and more of what Trump did that was so bad, especially to the people who really care. You need to constantly hammer the Muslim ban. You need to constantly hammer the abortion rights rescinded and his pledge to go even further. You have to show how he kept siding with Putin. You have to push on him wanting to get rid of the ACA again. 

And then you'll probably have to go a bit further and give people some hope for the future that the party and the country can be set up for success and have some vision beyond 'not Trump', because the folks who have soured on Biden have done so because of things like Israel and Afghanistan and student loans and monetary inflation and have seen that it still isn't good enough. 

42 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Ah, the fabled 'if you don't think something is good you can't criticize it unless you have a better plan' argument. I'm sure you'll inform me of what fallacy that represents. 

Nope.  I’m simply curious to see if you have any ideas.  I didn’t say you couldn’t or shouldn’t offer criticism.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

2 hours ago, Week said:

No, I do think it would tear away independents and center/moderate-voting Republicans.

I'd like to see the interview with Andy Biggs plastered in ads.

https://www.newsweek.com/christian-contfronts-andy-biggs-voting-joe-biden-1878071

These people won't even pretend to pander and stump to grow the base. It's fully DJT's madhouse.

Do you not read? Rumpola and Company officially declared the Republican party dead, with his relatives now in charge of the NRP.  It's now entirely him.

So, then, so what? about indies and etc. -- they don't exist.

Here is an article about Trump's takeover of the RNC.

Donald Trump’s newly installed leadership team at the Republican National Committee on Monday began the process of pushing out dozens of officials, according to two people close to the Trump campaign and the RNC.

All told, the expectation is that more than 60 RNC staffers who work across the political, communications and data departments will be let go. Those being asked to resign include five members of the senior staff, though the names were not made public. Additionally, some vendor contracts are expected to be cut......Trump’s campaign took over operational control of the RNC on Monday. On Friday, former North Carolina GOP Chair Michael Whatley was elected the RNC’s new chair, and Trump daughter-in-law Lara Trump was elected as co-chair. Both had Trump’s endorsement. Additionally, Trump senior campaign adviser Chris LaCivita was named as the RNC’s new chief of staff.

Bloodbath at RNC: Trump team slashes staff at committee - POLITICO

52 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Do you not read? Rumpola and Company officially declared the Republican party dead, with his relatives now in charge of the NRP.  It's now entirely him.

So, then, so what? about indies and etc. -- they don't exist.

I do, thanks! 

Edited by Week