US Politics: Losing Appeals

33 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

And during the great toilet paper shortage of 2020.

Except, alas, we are among the boring, pay attention to what's going on, think-ahead types, so there was no shortage of anything in our place.* :thumbsup: I began stocking in December 2019. Ya, Imma kinda smug about that but one has to take what one can get in These Times, no matter how meaningless. :D

* Except space . . . .

Edited by Zorral

9 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I have a Book of Mormon too, but it wasn't free. It cost several follow-up visits to my door where I had to tell them to fuck off.

Heh...some Mormons were stalking the neighborhood last summer, and one day I was home early and opened the door at their knock.

Me: "Sorry boys, but you are barking up the wrong tree. I'm a gay atheist."

Them: "All right." (pause) "Do you have any neighbors who aren't gay atheists?"

They were very polite, though, and one of them was cute, so all in all it was a pleasant interaction.

15 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Well Kari Lake has utterly capitulated in the defamation lawsuit against her. She admits it was all lies, every bit of it.

Link… please… Kari Lake is the female version of Trump.  I want to soak in the schadenfreud…

10 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Heh...some Mormons were stalking the neighborhood last summer, and one day I was home early and opened the door at their knock.

Me: "Sorry boys, but you are barking up the wrong tree. I'm a gay atheist."

Them: "All right." (pause) "Do you have any neighbors who aren't gay atheists?"

They were very polite, though, and one of them was cute, so all in all it was a pleasant interaction.

Tracker,

You saw my rather pointed criticism of my friend and co-religionist who claims “atheism is really a religious belief”?  Or so I hope.  :) 

20 minutes ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

I have a Book of Mormon too, but it wasn't free. It cost several follow-up visits to my door where I had to tell them to fuck off.

I took mine from a bedside table's drawer in a vacation 'chateaux' where we were put up during one of the summer institutes at Bob Redford's Sundance in Utah.  The ladies who cleaned were all of course Mormon, and they brought in the books.  I found it exceedingly weird that coming upon them cleaning our place the first time, one of them immediately asked, "Are you a Christian?"  It some back-and-forth before it dawned on me she was finding out whether I was one of them or not.  Generally, considering who were invited to these institutes, I feel confident in thinking tht no one sked this question would answer yes.

5 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Link… please… Kari Lake is the female version of Trump.  I want to soak in the schadenfreud…

its not so exciting.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/27/politics/kari-lake-defamation-lawsuit-richer/index.html

A Lake spokesperson said in a statement that “Kari didn’t surrender” in the case, “she simply cut-to-the-chase, demanding a hearing in 30 days, and proof of how her words (under the First Amendment) caused damages to Richer.”

Lake’s decision not to further engage in the lawsuit comes as the former local TV anchor looks to court more moderate voters in what is expected to be a highly competitive and critical contest to succeed retiring Sen. Kyrsten Sinema in November. Sinema, who was elected as a Democrat in 2018, registered as an independent in 2022 but continues to caucus with her former party in the Senate.

Edited by Kalbear

As an atheist/agnostic I enjoy reading religious texts of all sorts. It supports my faithlessness tremendously.

Eta: I find I usually know the New Testament a bit better than most Christians I have contact with.

I am also greatly amused with what they think the Old Testament says and how it contradicts Rabbinical interpretation of the same text.

Edited by DireWolfSpirit

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Tracker,

You saw my rather pointed criticism of my friend and co-religionist who claims “atheism is really a religious belief”?  Or so I hope.  :) 

The atheism-is-a-religion insistence is to me nearly as vacuous as "The US is a republic, not a democracy!" In any case, I no longer care what people believe, or say they believe--action is all.

1 hour ago, TrackerNeil said:

Yeah I've known/been friends with Mormons virtually all throughout my life, it's really a weird coincidence.  And every single one of them has been incredibly nice, intelligent, yes attractive, and generally awesome people.  South Park/Parker nailed that one.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Tracker,

It's a belief, and it's not science, and some people are even trying to organise it (like having atheism camps for kids), and it has its evangelists and fanatics writing books and giving sermons on the internet. It has a lot of the qualities of a duck, but maybe it's just a decoy, not a real duck.

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's a belief, and it's not science, and some people are even trying to organise it (like having atheism camps for kids), and it has its evangelists and fanatics writing books and giving sermons on the internet. It has a lot of the qualities of a duck, but maybe it's just a decoy, not a real duck.

The lack of religious faith… isn’t itself “religious faith”.  I say that as a church going Christian.  It really bothers me when people of my faith, or any faith, try to tell an atheist that they are “in fact religious…”

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

I did buy a book of Mormon several years ago as a prize for a Halloween Party.   It was for the 'most mythical costume'.   I hollowed out the middle (harder than it looks) a tucked a small bottle of booze inside.  That prize was a hit!   I bought the book cheap at a 2nd hand store.      :cheers:         :lol:

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

According to David Wolpert, lack of an omnipotent being is science. As for me I have so little religious feeling I don’t even worry about atheism

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It really bothers me when people of my faith, or any faith, try to tell an atheist that they are “in fact religious…”

I used to listen to Thom Hartman on the radio and he pulled that shit, and it was one the main reasons I quit listening to him.  Having been raised Catholic, I know the difference between religious and atheist.   So good on ya Scott, for being sensitive to that.

6 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I used to listen to Thom Hartman on the radio and he pulled that shit, and it was one the main reasons I quit listening to him.  Having been raised Catholic, I know the difference between religious and atheist.   So good on ya Scott, for being sensitive to that.

It’s bullshit.  It is an attempt to deny choice to people who sincerely don’t believe.  It’s wrong…