What The * Happened to Boeing

25 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Of course.

The only difference between a Boeing, or a Nestle; and every other large corporation is... they got caught.

I worked mortgage modification litigation for Wells Fargo a decade ago. I quit after I didn't get a promotion because I raised red flags about serious problems where they were massively overcharging people (and got no credit for being part of the team that reduced the process time on our end by 50-75%). I laughed with joy a few months later when a different department got nailed and it became a big scandal. 

People would be shocked by how sloppy and corrupt the hospital I spent over seven years at is. I'm glad I washed my hands of that dumpster fire. One of the most demoralizing things in the corporate world is finding a problem, creating a solution for it and then presenting it to your boss only to find that they either don't care or are actively encouraging the problem to continue. This is why I'm working on getting a Masters degree (and really two) so I can have greater influence and/or just the credibility to start my own firm down the road.

Edited by Mr. Chatywin et al.

Well, over the years I have worked in many places and could go on for hours on the stupidity I have seen. All it takes for any corporation or even a small company to go off the rails is hiring one wrong person. One person who sincerely believes in the jargon or bafflegab they spout is enough to destroy anything. People are not machines in that if the proper input is used, out comes the proper output. People think, adapt,  and refuse to accept ideas for any number of reasons. Economic behaviour is human behaviour and we are not rational at all times. Corporate management is really more akin to religion than science.

Tell you one thing. There'll be no C-suite salaries three-hundred-times that of Lazyscrog's lowest paid workers. My business model is built around treating people so well they would never want to work anywhere else.

Of course, that may be spectacularly naïve of me, but as long as I'm in control, we will not be one of these POS corporations.

1 hour ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

One of the most demoralizing things in the corporate world is finding a problem, creating a solution for it and then presenting it to your boss only to find that they either don't care or are actively encouraging the problem to continue. 

Of course, even worse than that is defining a problem, finding and presenting a solution, then your boss goes and takes all the fucking credit.

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Of course.

The only difference between a Boeing, or a Nestle; and every other large corporation is... they got caught.

Honestly, I don't think it's even that: corporations get caught all the time. The reason there's such a large amount of scrutiny on Boeing is that it could affect anyone, so everyone cares- plus it's dramatic. Hell, there's a reason more immediate scrutiny and impact, at least as far as the wider public goes, has apparently come from a door falling off in America than two planes crashing not in America.  

But even within the US- I'm not sure why there's so much more outrage over Boeing's doors falling off than Panera's Death Lemonade, but that it's pretty easy to not drink a death lemonade is probably part of it. 

(I'm not really sure what happened with Nestle- I guess they just got caught doing the wrong thing at the wrong moment that it became a cause?). 

Yeah there's always been more public scrutiny/concern when it comes to airplane security as opposed to MNCs in virtually all other industries.  It's not necessarily "fair," or even really ultimately makes sense considering potential for relative harm, but I think that public sentiment is rather intuitive.

5 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Of course.

There‘s also more media presence in an aircraft manufacturing than in other businesses, if a plane crashes that’s headlines for a week… not necessarily true for other parts of the economy…

if nestle buys up the water supply from locals in the third world it is probably more deadly longterm, but it doesn’t immediately kill 200 rich white people in one Big Bang…

Intuitively I'd think those rich folks have private jets by Embraer or Gulfstream. Those Boeing private jets are primarily state owned (aka military operated) VIP planes (aka flying heads of states). There I think Boeing will be very careful with the quality of the delivered products and since they are military operated, that should be another layer of protection. The non-goverment number of private Boeings jets (in contrast to passenger jets) is probably not that high.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

I meant „rich“ not as millionaire/billionaire but as contrast in wealth between your average person in a First World Country and your average in a third world country. If you have an average income in USA you will use Boeing planes, not so much with average income in the Congo…

I am by no means rich by first world standards, but I am rich compared to 80% of the people on this planet…

fair enough. Altho, if you can afford a flight in Africa with a local carrier, fair chance it's still an old Boeing (or Airbus) being sold and re-sold by western Airlines finding it's way to an African carrier.

Not gonna derail the thread about the issue of air travel having become too cheap, increase in number of flights and its impact on the climate.

Note to self, keep seat belt on at all times when in the air.   Especially if the plane was made by Boeing.

30 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Boeing plane engine cover falls off prompting investigation

:bang:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68775413

Boeing hit after new whistleblower raises safety concerns
46 minutes ago
By Natalie Sherman,
Business reporter, New Yor
k

.... Shares in the plane manufacturer sank almost 2% on Tuesday after the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said it was investigating the claims, and the company reported it delivered just 83 planes to customers in the first three months of the year - the smallest number since 2021. ....

The Boeing board needs to reload the entire senior leadership team, with a strong focus on governance and motivation to (re-)develop a culture of compliance and control.

Also, the FAA and NTSB need to intentionally step out of the regulatory capture loop.  They need to avoid the fate of the banking regulators and maintain their independence.

The NTSB is the lesser problem. They are just doing the post-mortems of incidents/accidents and issue reports and recommendations. The FAA is the real issue. That's not to say, that the third party system isn't problematic for the NTSB, but it's certainly a much smaller issue than whatever the FAA is doing.