US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction

1 minute ago, Bironic said:

Let’s say this Ukraine bill passes, how long would it take to pass the senate and land on Bidens desk?

In theory just a few days.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Is the jury pool for this trial drawn from all of New York City, or just from Manhattan? If it's the latter, I am sure Manhattan would have a higher percentage of corporate lawyers as residents than almost any other jurisdiction in the United States. :)

This trial is in the Manhattan County state criminal court, from where the charges are brought.  So it would be Manhattan addresses for the pool, if I have that right.

Edited by Zorral

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

One of the jurors selected on Tuesday has had to leave, because the media posted so many details about her that everyone knew it was her.

This sounds like jury intimidation on the media's part. Mainly that Waters asshole on Fox "News".

13 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

This sounds like jury intimidation on the media's part. Mainly that Waters asshole on Fox "News".

I am really not fond of Mr. Waters.  I swear Fox looks for unpleasant people to host its shows.

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I am really not fond of Mr. Waters.  I swear Fox looks for unpleasant people to host its shows.

Perhaps it isn't so much that they look for unpleasant people but rather that the people who are willing to work there and engage in blatant lying, dog whistles, fear mongerimg and all the rest end up being the unpleasant types.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

Perhaps it isn't so much that they look for unpleasant people but rather that the people who are willing to work there and engage in blatant lying, dog whistles, fear mongerimg and all the rest end up being the unpleasant types.

Perhaps.

It is nothing short of a miracle the GOP wins any elections at all.

They have no money, they have a single media channel, their only representation in the culture is as a foil, they enthusiastically elevate candidates people despise.

Having soured on Kanye after his Kim K breakup, Trump has his eyes on a new hip-hop buddy.

Apparently Trump has been strongly considering adding P-Diddy as his running mate based on Melania's affinity for his music.

The pea brain runs strong in the Trump clan.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Two more gone. one saying s/he doubted could have a fair judgment, the other dismissed because some of the answers provided by the prospective jury appeared iffy upon further investigation.

6 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is the bill bi partisan in construction?

I mean, depends on your definition of bipartisan these days, but the three foreign aid bills are being proposed by the Republican Speaker and endorsed by the Democratic president.

4 hours ago, Bironic said:

Let’s say this Ukraine bill passes, how long would it take to pass the senate and land on Bidens desk?

As Kal suggested, MAGA Senators may whine and moan and demand votes on dumbass amendments for a few days, but if they pass the House, Biden WILL sign them into law within a week.

Speaking of dumbass amendments, MTG is currently trolling the House with absurd amendments.  My favorite is this response:

Her collective efforts prompted a clapback from Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-Fla.) who floated renaming Greene's House office the “Neville Chamberlain Room,"after the former U.K. prime minister best known for his policy of appeasement to Adolf Hitler. 

The Florida Democrat also proposed an amendment that Greene be named "Vladimir Putin’s Special Envoy to the United States Congress."

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I just always find it amazing how "journalists" can work for one network expressing very strong one sided views then get hired by a different one and strongly express the exact opposite, then again get hired by one that's also opposite of their last gig and think they have any credibility. Talk about selling your soul for a paycheck. Even @Jace, Extat isn't that messed up. 

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, depends on your definition of bipartisan these days, but the three foreign aid bills are being proposed by the Republican Speaker and endorsed by the Democratic president.

As Kal suggested, MAGA Senators may whine and moan and demand votes on dumbass amendments for a few days, but if they pass the House, Biden WILL sign them into law within a week.

Speaking of dumbass amendments, MTG is currently trolling the House with absurd amendments.  My favorite is this response:

Credit where it’s due.  Mike Johnson has realised that it’s time to act like an adult.

4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Credit where it’s due.  Mike Johnson has realised that it’s time to act like an adult.

I'll believe it when I see the aid actually going to Ukraine. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if there is a problem that is picked up in the senate, sent back to the house to be amended, then never voted on again. Meanwhile the Israel aid already gets signed off.

6 minutes ago, SeanF said:

More like a person who is wishing his friends and family well as he's walked to the gallows. 

8 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Ridiculously premature to say that.

If this passes the House (without some kind of poison pill that Dems will never support), then it'll get through the Senate+WH in a matter of days.  But I would personally put the odds that this doesn't get torpedoed one way or another at only a shade above 50/50. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

Ridiculously premature to say that.

If this passes the House (without some kind of poison pill that Dems will never support), then it'll get through the Senate+WH in a matter of days.  But I would personally put the odds that this doesn't get torpedoed one way or another at only a shade above 50/50. 

Perhaps I’m over optimistic- but I think it will pass.  

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I mean, Johnson has already pretty much taken the plunge.  He could always chicken out at the last minute, sure, but that’s just gonna make him look weak as well.  Still a possibility, but definitely way less than 50/50.

Look at the photo here of him leaving the courthouse today

Former President Donald Trump talks to reporters as he leaves court on the second day of his criminal trial at Manhattan Criminal Court on April 16, 2024 in New York City. (Mark Peterson-Pool/Getty Images)

-- he is losing weight.

https://www.salon.com/2024/04/18/hes-dropping-little-clues-the-troubling-message-we-are-missing-from-maga-rallies/

• A Horse Named Stranger changed the title to US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction
  • Ran locked this topic