US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction

4 hours ago, Mr. Chatywin et al. said:

...Talk about selling your soul for a paycheck. Even @Jace, Extat isn't that messed up. 

You say that, but I make a heel of myself around here and nobody's paying me anything. Can you imagine what I'd do for money!?!

:lol:

23 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

You say that, but I make a heel of myself around here and nobody's paying me anything. Can you imagine what I'd do for money!?!

You’re gonna have to up your game to get paid for it.

27 minutes ago, Jace, Extat said:

Ummm. Do you not know your fellow posters? 

None of us are getting paid!

I do this because I enjoy it.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

You’re gonna have to up your game to get paid for it.

It's not a game, but an art... :pimp:

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Ummm. Do you not know your fellow posters? 

None of us are getting paid!

I do this because I enjoy it.

Yeah, me too. Getting kicked around by y'all once in a while helps keep the AI Chatbot that runs my brain from getting too full of itself. 

April 18, 2024
HEATHER COX RICHARDSON
APR 19, 2024

.... Many congress members have left Washington, D.C., since Friday was to be the first day of a planned recess. This meant the partisan majority on the floor fluctuated. Olivia Beavers of Politico reported that that instability made Freedom Caucus members nervous enough to put together a Floor Action Response Team (FART—I am not making this up) to make sure other Republicans didn’t limit the power of the extremists when they were off the floor. ....

House takes key step forward on foreign aid bills with Democratic support, setting up final vote Saturday

https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/18/politics/foreign-aid-bills-house-rule-vote/index.html

The House voted Friday in a bipartisan manner to advance a key foreign aid package, a significant step in sending aid to Ukraine and Israel and setting up a final vote as soon as Saturday.

In an extraordinary move, more Democrats (165) supported the measure than Republicans (151). The Democratic votes were necessary to overcome opposition from Speaker Mike Johnson’s right flank, who will likely only increase their calls to oust him.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

House takes key step forward on foreign aid bills with Democratic support, setting up final vote Saturday

There’s an important wrinkle in the rule that was passed:

According to the rule, if the bills pass the House, they will be combined into one amendment before being sent to the Senate.

This is important because the fourth bill includes the TikTok ban/forced divestiture.  Considering these all look almost certain to reach Biden’s desk at this point, wanted to note that because this is INCREDIBLY unpopular with young people.  I have no problem having civil discussions on Israel/Hamas in my classes, but when I bring up the TikTok ban things get heated FAST.

ETA:  One important difference between this measure and the previous ban that passed the House but stalled in the Senate is this one would give ByteDance essentially a full year to divest whereas the previous bill only gave them six months.

guess they’re hoping that will quell electoral backlash since it probably won’t happen by November, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Edited by DMC

47 minutes ago, DMC said:

There’s an important wrinkle in the rule that was passed:

This is important because the fourth bill includes the TikTok ban/forced divestiture.  Considering these all look almost certain to reach Biden’s desk at this point, wanted to note that because this is INCREDIBLY unpopular with young people.  I have no problem having civil discussions on Israel/Hamas in my classes, but when I bring up the TikTok ban things get heated FAST.

ETA:  One important difference between this measure and the previous ban that passed the House but stalled in the Senate is this one would give ByteDance essentially a full year to divest whereas the previous bill only gave them six months.

guess they’re hoping that will quell electoral backlash since it probably won’t happen by November, but I wouldn’t count on it.

The bill isn’t a ban on Tiktok.  It is a forced divestiture requirement… right?

6 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The bill isn’t a ban on Tiktok.  It is a forced divestiture requirement… right?

Pretty much.  I go into detail about the provisions in that posts.  It’s just commonly referred to as the TikTok ban.  Should be noted though the bill will ban TikTok in the US if ByteDance doesn’t divest in a year.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Pretty much.  I go into detail about the provisions in that posts.  It’s just commonly referred to as the TikTok ban.  Should be noted though the bill will ban TikTok in the US if ByteDance doesn’t divest in a year.

This will be challenged on “Contract Clause” grounds… I’m confident.  

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

A man lit himself on fire outside of the courthouse where the Trump trial is underway, two law enforcement sources confirmed to CNN.

The man walked into the park across the street from the courthouse, throwing flyers into the air, a senior law enforcement official told CNN. He then pulled something out of a backpack — it was not immediately clear what the item was — and lit himself on fire, the official said. 

At least one person used a fire extinguisher to try to put out the blaze, and an EMT rushed up to the man and tried to render aid, according to CNN's Laura Coates, who narrated the scene unfolding in front of her outside the courthouse.

Further details were not immediately available.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-hush-money-trial-04-19-24#h_a0c5ea747751ddad7bc88749d2f559d1

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What was this person protesting?

See the quoted content above, please! which tells you: "Further details were not immediately available."

Edited by Zorral

19 hours ago, Zorral said:

Look at the photo here of him leaving the courthouse today

Former President Donald Trump talks to reporters as he leaves court on the second day of his criminal trial at Manhattan Criminal Court on April 16, 2024 in New York City. (Mark Peterson-Pool/Getty Images)

-- he is losing weight.

https://www.salon.com/2024/04/18/hes-dropping-little-clues-the-troubling-message-we-are-missing-from-maga-rallies/

Maybe he has cancer?

49 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What was this person protesting?  If it was Trump being on trial we are into “Jim Jones” territory with the Trumpanista cult.

According to his substack, "We are victims of a totalitarian con, and our own government (along with many of their allies) is about to hit us with an apocalyptic fascist world coup." There is an entire manifesto under it.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

On his weight - chances are good he is taking Ozempic. 

Too bad he’s not more old school and take insulin instead. Then Melania could go full Claus von Bülow on his fat arse.

• A Horse Named Stranger changed the title to US Politics: Time for the Stormy season with a chance of conviction
  • Ran locked this topic