Youtube Videos.

Horus Ex Machina

On 2/19/2021 at 5:21 AM, ithanos said:

Posting this here as it's often the de-facto short film thread. This one, though it has note worthy animation, is a PSA intended to confront a voting consciousness into action.

"In France, a child who reports sexual abuse committed by a family member must testify in court that they did not give their consent. This film calls upon French citizens to help change the law by signing a petition."

Alas, my Google-fu fails me and I can't find if it was successful and the law amended.

I brought up a kind of related topic in the Interrnational news thread: International Events 5, "As the World Turns" - Page 6 - General Chatter - A Forum of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones (westeros.org)

On 2/19/2021 at 9:08 PM, ithanos said:

Apparently its too early. The PSA short film is only for a petition at this stage.

Will have to check this out. Considering Russel T. Davies wrote the excellent Years and Years I'll know to steel myself for a grim experience.

Its simultaneously a grim and joyful experience, which from interviews is exactly what Davies was going for. The cast is wonderful too, if you haven't watched it already put it back on your to watch list

On 4/1/2021 at 9:30 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Thanks for that. It does appear to be the same law(s) targeted by the petition. Glad to see they're coming to reason.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:30 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Its simultaneously a grim and joyful experience, which from interviews is exactly what Davies was going for. The cast is wonderful too, if you haven't watched it already put it back on your to watch list

I plan to watch this this Easter weekend. As good a time as any for an emotional wringer.

Whenever CineFix releases a top 10 list, its worth checking out.

This one's on animated films, by genre.

The horror pick, The Wolf house (2018) looks absolutely terrifying, yet I'm somewhat compelled to check it out.

And the mind bending pick, It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012) looks an absolute treat and must watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This man here doing a near perfect imitation of Don Vito Corleone Marlon Brando is acclaimed Indian actor Kamal Haasan.

Has the most top IMDB credits among all other Indian actors. Includes acting, directing, singing and whatnot.

Time's top 100 films of all time features only 4 Indian films and 1 is Kamal's Nayakan with Mani Ratnam while the other three are, you guessed right cinephiles, Satyajit Ray's Apu Trilogy. 

Here's more... 

EDIT 

Didn't Marlon Brando refuse his Godfather Oscar as a mark of protest against the gross injustices against the Native "Indians"... Ironic 

Edited by TheLastWolf

• 3 weeks later...

The short film based on the Sci-fi short, Blindsight, was recently completed. From a collaboration of artists from around the globe between 2016 and 2020. The visuals are certainly impressive.

Blindsight, by Peter Watts can be read online here.

----------

And another short film inspired by TENET. 

We filmed this in one night for a short film contest that we super did not win but I wanted to capture both the spirit and style of Christopher Nolan's TENET, combining it with a film concept I've been working on for years -- all created on the budget of a pair of shoes. Hope ya'll dig it. - Stephen Ford

The visuals on that were spectacular. I recall seeing a behind-the-scenes on the VFX (particularly the virtual set and camera movements involved to make it look like she went down and up that elevator towards the end) before. Highly impressive.

ETA: Here's that BTS I mentioned:

And here is a site containing the six episodes of the Dynamo series which Dynamo Dream is a sort of parallel story/soft reboot. It has a very different vibe from what I can see, though, and obviously they're older so the visuals aren't as impressive. Hubert's come a long way.

Edited by Ran

On 6/5/2021 at 3:31 PM, Ran said:

The visuals on that were spectacular. I recall seeing a behind-the-scenes on the VFX (particularly the virtual set and camera movements involved to make it look like she went down and up that elevator towards the end) before. Highly impressive.

ETA: Here's that BTS I mentioned:

Indeed, that's impressive.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:31 PM, Ran said:

And here is a site containing the six episodes of the Dynamo series which Dynamo Dream is a sort of parallel story/soft reboot. It has a very different vibe from what I can see, though, and obviously they're older so the visuals aren't as impressive. Hubert's come a long way.

Yes that early vibe is different. Dynamo Dream feels like a day in the life of documentary short, though the POV story certainly becomes intriguing, the attention to detail makes the world feel immersive and complete in its detail. Some details are less polished than others (too often background scenes in major cinema features cut away from their expensive CGI shots before our eyes can appreciate them) but we're treated to them warts and all and I appreciate Hubert allowing shots to linger. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...