Shannara TV series in development at MTV with IRON MAN director

Werthead

58 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The question is why the feck is it so far away and no one knows where the hell it is when it is so important for the survival of El Crease and the elves?

It's not far away, the whole Four Lands is only a day's ride from one end to the other; it just took so long to find because they were wandering around randomly for most of the season.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Also, no doubt Eritrea was in her "I can fight" mode even though she'd been drained of blood twice. So she's already killed all the trolls, which means Wiil is only going there to give her a soothing bath and a massage. And that's a sort of thing you don't want to do with an audience.

Though obviously Alanon will just learn what happened by reading Will's mind the next time they meet...

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't hate it. They made some really strange choices, and their handling of time/distance was very poor, but it was amusing and I didn't mind watching it. And most of the questions that I've seen in this thread were actually answered in the show, so maybe paying attention helped... :P

The biggest thing which annoyed me about it was the unnecessary changes away from the original source material they made for reasons I just couldn't work out. But at least they stuck to all the main elements, Amberle did become the new Elycris which - at one point I wasn't sure they were actually going to do - and visually it was absolutely stunning and it did improve in pacing towards the end.

It will be interesting to see what they do with Season Two.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't know why I bother....  Interview with Brooks regarding his thought on the show, and ideas for season 2.

Brooks says there's a possibility of a movie of Magic Kingdom for Sale starring Steve Carrell for Warner Brothers, but sounds like the option has been stuck for 3 years.

4 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Unfortunately...I think this IS our nice things.

Well, at least, among all the emo, there was Crixus, amahrite?  :rolleyes:

He seemed so out of place among all those kids filled with their feels.  Didn't you just wait for him to start the slayage and leaping and blood spraying?

On 21/04/2016 at 6:55 AM, Jussi said:

‘The Shannara Chronicles’ Renewed For Season 2 By MTV

http://deadline.com/2016/04/the-shannara-chronicles-renewed-season-2-mtv-1201740778/

“This dream team delivered a beautiful, ground breaking show with compelling stories and character journeys which brought in new viewers,”

I don't think any of that is true about this show, aside from the bringing in new viewers bit. It's watchable, and not a cringingly horrible like the Legend of the Seeker. Which is funny, because I quite liked the first couple of books in the Sword of Truth series, until they became overtly preachy, whereas I couldn't bring myself to finish one Shanana book.

On 22-8-2016 at 8:48 PM, Greywolf2375 said:

Unfortunately...I think this IS our nice things.

I blame Obama :P 

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

“This dream team delivered a beautiful, ground breaking show with compelling stories and character journeys which brought in new viewers,”

I don't think any of that is true about this show, aside from the bringing in new viewers bit. It's watchable, and not a cringingly horrible like the Legend of the Seeker. Which is funny, because I quite liked the first couple of books in the Sword of Truth series, until they became overtly preachy, whereas I couldn't bring myself to finish one Shanana book.

Good God man, if this counts as watchable, I wonder what you think is unwatchable :P 

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Good God man, if this counts as watchable, I wonder what you think is unwatchable :P 

It's watchable like watching a car crash.  You really don't want to see it, you want to make sure everyone is ok...so you have to keep your eyes on it but hate yourself a little bit for it.

I generally enjoy re-reading fantasy series. I realize now that I don't believe I've ever re-read the Shannara books - certainly not the later ones, that I gave up on so long ago, but not even the first three or four. I might have to find one in all its dated, corny glory. 

9 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I wonder if we have different interpretations of watchable. To me watchable is at the lower end of quality for TV shows that I'm willing to sit through. And I mostly sat through this one because I wanted to support Manu Bennett, being a compatriot and all. But still, I got through it. I'll give season 2 a go, but at the end of season 1 I would have been happy for it to end there, though I'm glad Manu Bennett is getting another season of work. A pay day is a pay day, and non-A-listers need all the pay days they can get.

"Watchable" is an interesting concept... and utterly subjective... everyone has their own bar... but there are things I watch that I know aren't very good (Arrow, Flash, Shield).... but they're part of a genre that I love.... so I watch them... and to whatever extent, I enjoy them.... certainly not like I love The Wire, or Banshee, or GoT.... but it beats going on Facebook and looking at pictures of other people's kids...

My point is, that there are different levels of enjoyment... and we do/watch whatever our best option for that moment is... Even the best show, or movie that I've ever watched doesn't compare to a good round of golf, a night out at the bar with friends, or a threesome with a hottie my wife brings home.  

18 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

In comparison to TSC, Legend of the Seeker is a masterpiece... :P

9 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

"Watchable" is an interesting concept... and utterly subjective... everyone has their own bar... but there are things I watch that I know aren't very good (Arrow, Flash, Shield).... but they're part of a genre that I love.... so I watch them... and to whatever extent, I enjoy them.... certainly not like I love The Wire, or Banshee, or GoT.... but it beats going on Facebook and looking at pictures of other people's kids...

I would agree to this... Although the last season of DCTV Universe made me banish all of them to summer roster. 

8 hours ago, Greywolf2375 said:

It's watchable like watching a car crash.  You really don't want to see it, you want to make sure everyone is ok...so you have to keep your eyes on it but hate yourself a little bit for it.

I never finished it. I quit around the antepenultimate episode I think. This damn car crash had caused a fire which threatened to taint other stuff I am quite fond off (mostly El Laberinto del Fauno, which is such a great film. I can't for the life of me understand what happened to Ivana Baquero).

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I wonder if we have different interpretations of watchable. To me watchable is at the lower end of quality for TV shows that I'm willing to sit through. And I mostly sat through this one because I wanted to support Manu Bennett, being a compatriot and all. But still, I got through it. I'll give season 2 a go, but at the end of season 1 I would have been happy for it to end there, though I'm glad Manu Bennett is getting another season of work. A pay day is a pay day, and non-A-listers need all the pay days they can get.

Yeah, Many Bennett was far and away the best thing about this entire series. And the man definitely deserves more work, but I just couldn't do it man. I would gladly pull the plug out of this series in order to free Manu up for better things, for he deserves it, but even his scenes became damn unwatchable for me. A stark contrast with his previous work, where I usually found him great even when the rest of the production was rather bad. 

@Martini Sigil already mentioned Arrow. I'm probably notorious on here by now for not liking superheroes. On the other hand, I do love fantasy. So, Shannara held a distinct type advantage over Arrow. I didn't like Arrow all that much in the end. I finished the first season and that was kind of a chore (never went back to it). However, the one thing I did like about Arrow were those island flashbacks with Manu Bennet (well, that and Stephen Amell's salmon ladder sequence. That was damn impressive), mainly because of him.

In Shannara on the other hand, Manu stopped kicking ass from episode 3 onwards (the episode in which he slays that demon on the beach). It's a damn shame. 

2 hours ago, Risto said:

In comparison to TSC, Legend of the Seeker is a masterpiece... :P

Each to their own I guess, I got through the whole of TSC, but I had to turn Legend of the Seeker off after 5 minutes.

• 5 months later...

Season 2 casting and description.

A year after the events of last season, The Four Lands is in chaos. The re-emergence of magic has the populace terrified, and an organization called The Crimson is hunting down magic users, using fear and intimidation to sow discord among the races. Wil, scarred by the loss of Amberle and his separation from Eretria, has turned his back on his magical destiny to become a healer. But when a mysterious woman named Mareth saves Wil from a Crimson attack, he is forced to rejoin the fight. After reuniting with Eretria, Wil and Mareth seek out Allanon, only to learn that the Druid’s former protégé, Bandon, is on a mission to resurrect a creature of darkest evil: The Warlock Lord. Together, our heroes must band together to take down The Crimson and prevent Bandon from unleashing an even greater threat upon the Four Lands, before it’s too late.

So they're mashing together later books (The Crimson in place of The Federation) with Sword of Shannara's big bad.   Also bringing Garet Jax from Wishsong into season 2.

A year and a half ago I said:

I wonder if they'll actually film the Sword of Shannara as the second season, reversing the order of the books and using Wil Ohmsford in place of Shea.

Called it! sort of. Maybe.

Archived