Doctor Who Series 8; The time of the man that stops the monsters (v2)

Jon's Queen Consort

I can somewhat understand what Clara was doing even though it is completely irrational and she even knows how irrational it is because she would be desperate in that situation

It would make sense if it was Danny. Clara...no. Unless she's deliberately being moronic in a cry for help, while hoping that the Doctor will be moved but not threatened. But she knows what's at stake. No one is that stupid.

Well, damn. Consider my mind blown. And the big reveal at the end- I can't believe I didn't pick up on that before with the name "Missy" given to us so early. Can't wait until next week.

I'm just glad it wasn't Romana (who was regularly referred to as Mistress by K9).

It would make sense if it was Danny. Clara...no. Unless she's deliberately being moronic in a cry for help, while hoping that the Doctor will be moved but not threatened. But she knows what's at stake. No one is that stupid.

Yeah, no-one's done stupid things while stricken by grief before. Totally unheard of. And yes, it's a cry for help. She's literally crying for help, ffs.

I thought that was a good episode although how it'll be ultimately viewed will probably depend a bit on how good the concluding episode is (and it's fairly common for the first part to be the best part of Dr Who two-parters).

Because the first part is always about the cool villains, their great plans and how through sheer skill and determination they have managed to put the Doctor in a bind.

By contrast, the second part is usually about the Doctor beating them through some strange, unset-up Deux Ex Machina.

Found the Twelve's "Let's go look for an afterlife" decision a bit sudden and too nakedly plot-motivated. Especially with him being the snarliest and most skeptical of recent doctors.

Don't you mean Thirteen's?

Some more thoughts:

1) So... Tardis keys are the One Ring?

2) Even if he lost all his keys, couldn't the Doctor just snap his fingers and the Tardis doors would open?

3) Given who Missy turned out to be, wasn't her initial greeting of the Doctor a bit... :ack:

4)

Does this mean we might get a woman Doctor one day?

I'm assuming that there were other mausoleums. It also appears that Missy's being doing her resurrection for a long time since we first saw her in the Victorian era season opener. I'm still not sure it really makes sense, but by the standards of some of the plot points we've been asked to accept recently it's comparatively plausible.

On that: I'm presuming that Missy has a TARDIS and that she has been using this to harvest the dead. Indeed, it's plausible that the 'mausoleum' is inside her TARDIS, rather than having it occupy this whole 21st-century London building.

Yeah, no-one's done stupid things while stricken by grief before. Totally unheard of. And yes, it's a cry for help. She's literally crying for help, ffs.

There's stupid and there's locking away the Tardis. That's not stupid. Like, that's so beyond stupid that we don't have a word for it. Especially for Clara,given what she went through. It makes more sense for her to walk back across her timestream and bash in the heads of every single version of her ever.

There's a difference between a cry for for help and "literally crying for help",at least, the way I meant it. I would think that would be obvious.

Either way, it's just too much imo.

On that: I'm presuming that Missy has a TARDIS and that she has been using this to harvest the dead. Indeed, it's plausible that the 'mausoleum' is inside her TARDIS, rather than having it occupy this whole 21st-century London building.

Neophyte Question: Does a TARDIS have to be a police box?

No. It has a chameleon circuit that can change it to blend in with its surroundings.

The Doctor's TARDIS's CC broke and it's stuck as a police box (although he did try to fix it as the 6th Doctor without success).

No. Every TARDIS has a chameleon circuit, which means that the TARDIS changes appearance to suit it with the environment it is into.At the Cave of Skulls Doctor notices that his TARDIS doesn't have changed appearence something he finds "very disturbing". I think that its because of Barbara and Ian. Those short life primates always create trouble!

:ninja: By sj4iy

2) Even if he lost all his keys, couldn't the Doctor just snap his fingers and the Tardis doors would open?

I did wonder about that at the time, but maybe that doesn't work if the Tardis has actually been locked?

Indeed, it's plausible that the 'mausoleum' is inside her TARDIS, rather than having it occupy this whole 21st-century London building.

That would make a lot of sense.

Especially since this building is St Paul's, which if someone were to turn it into a futuristic mausoleum/lab/cyberbase, someone would definitely notice.

Possibly it's underneath.

I was assuming it was underneath, I think we see the Doctor saying he's going to take the stairs in the scene before he emerges from the front of St Paul's.

Don't you mean Thirteen's?

Or Fourteen's, depending on how you count the two Tennants.

I was thinking that, yes. Or it could project a hologram Clara which could be convinced to open the doors.

3) Given who Missy turned out to be, wasn't her initial greeting of the Doctor a bit... :ack:

I don't know, I can see the John Simm incarnation doing the same thing given the opportunity.

4)

Does this mean we might get a woman Doctor one day?

Not any time soon, I hope; it would need careful handling, and I don't trust the current production team to do a good job. But Tom Baker raised the possibility back when he was leaving the role, so the idea has been around a long time.

That would make a lot of sense.

We can probably rule it out, then 8)

Wow! Intense episode. Very much enjoyed it. Feel silly for not having made that Missy = The Master connection. Pretty nice reveal.

So glad that the Doctor dismissed her betrayal and revealed confirmed that he's still a fundamentally good person. And I feel like since Clara met one of her and Danny's descendants, that there is some evidence for figuring a way to save him.

I also enjoyed the Doctor's response to Clara's declaration of "Time can be rewritten" with a (very Scottish) "With precision."

We can probably rule it out, then 8)

I did consider saying something similar.

So glad that the Doctor dismissed her betrayal and revealed confirmed that he's still a fundamentally good person. And I feel like since Clara met one of her and Danny's descendants, that there is some evidence for figuring a way to save him.

Clara could be pregnant. I did wonder whether that might be what she was keen to talk to Danny about at the start of the episode, although I'm not sure some of the dialogue entirely fits it.

Good episode - shame the trailers had the cybermen all over it. The master reveal was very anticlimatic as I thought that was the case since she was named mistress. Funny how many dismissed it here on the grounds it was too obvious - especially since Moffat prefers "where the fuck did that come from" answers :)

I don't think the master kissing the Doctor was weird. The last version we saw had the two timelords presented as tragic lovers anyhow (the whole "I love you but i have to kill you but no-one else understands me like you" thing) and I guess a bit of hormone alterations could push "him" over.

So - do we get to see a regeneration at the end of the season

Charles Dance popping up as a tease for next season?

Clara could be pregnant. I did wonder whether that might be what she was keen to talk to Danny about at the start of the episode, although I'm not sure some of the dialogue entirely fits it.

That would explain the postit notes actually, maybe she conceived a month ago from Danny's pov, but she's been galavanting around through time and is actually further along? Maybe that was her figuring out exactly how much time she's gained?

One of the notes had "Jenny" written on it, which made me think of the Doctor's Daughter because we'd been discussing it here, but I don't see how they could be related.

I believe it was to Madame Vastra's Jenny that the note was referring. I could be wrong, but it seemed like many of the notes referenced things and characters that showed up this season.

Archived