Watch, Watched, Watching: The Final Cut

RedEyedGhost

Yeah Veltigar it feels like they're always eating :D. The show gets more "cinematic" as it goes on as far as direction goes. Glad you're sticking with it. 

Rewatching season 1 of Mr. Robot and that's a show that's heavily influenced from The Sopranos (not that many aren't). There is a fever dream sequence that could have been straight out of it plus the main character visits a shrink. Excited for season two to start. 

26 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

FargoSeason 2 just landed on Netflix (UK). So I'm sorry Outlander but you will have to wait.

Good choice. You can also skip the first half of season 2 of Outlander unless you like Rom-Coms.

@Veltigar

Just a few points in response to you Sopranos post, glad enjoyed season 3 a bit more. Especially "Pine Barres", which is hands down the best episode of the series, and my personal favorite hour of television I've ever seen. 

As far as the actor for Jackie Jr, it's unfortunate because he was never intended to have such a large storyline in season 3. Unfortunately  

they had to scramble when Nancy Marchand died. The main storyline of season 3 was originally going to be Tony's mom testifying against him over the stolen airline tickets. That could have been amazing, but alas they had to come up with something else.

Lastly, wrt Edie Falco, I defy you to find a better performance by an actress on a television show than the scene in episode 4x10 "Whitecaps" where

Carmela kicks Tony out and admits to having a thing for Furio.

She was always good on the show, but that scene blew me away. 

Speaking of dark humor on the Sopranos, anybody remember

Spoiler

the hit at the gas station, somehow they had this this totally repulsive (what should have been at least) scene of the car tire rolling over the guys head, but I found myself laughing at the scene. I dont know if it was the wifes reaction, the music or the overall absurdity of the way things played out? 

But I found myself laughing over what should have horrified me lololol, I fealt just a tinge of guilt, but hey it's fiction "Whatta ya gonna do ya know?"

Watching the Last Kingdom. I was really blown away by this. I watched it much too fast and created a show hole. Better than barley.

About to watch Mr. Robot. The show I most look forward to, along with the Marvel Netflix shows.

Watching Power and Stranger things this weekend.

12 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Yes, focusing on the werewolf group, I believe it is supposed to be called We're Wolves.

Awesome, I hope they bring back Stu! :D

12 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Blasphemy.

Point Break without cars is definitely more quotable though :P 'I am an agent in the F... B... I!!!!!' is something that will stick with me forever

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Watching the Last Kingdom. I was really blown away by this. I watched it much too fast and created a show hole. Better than barley.

Such an unexpected surprise that show. I don't think anyone really had high expectations for it, but then it proceeded to blow everyone away. The books on which it is based are pretty great as well. Really fun reads. 

11 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Rewatching season 1 of Mr. Robot and that's a show that's heavily influenced from The Sopranos (not that many aren't). There is a fever dream sequence that could have been straight out of it plus the main character visits a shrink. Excited for season two to start. 

I'll probably watch that after I'm done with The Sopranos. I heard good things about it :) 

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Lastly, wrt Edie Falco, I defy you to find a better performance by an actress on a television show than the scene in episode 4x10 "Whitecaps" where

Reveal hidden contents

Carmela kicks Tony out and admits to having a thing for Furio.

She was always good on the show, but that scene blew me away. 

I'm not at that point in season four yet, but I'm curious as to what I'll find in the spoilertags when I click on it. I'll watch the show first though ;) 

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

As far as the actor for Jackie Jr, it's unfortunate because he was never intended to have such a large storyline in season 3. Unfortunately  

Hide contents

they had to scramble when Nancy Marchand died. The main storyline of season 3 was originally going to be Tony's mom testifying against him over the stolen airline tickets. That could have been amazing, but alas they had to come up with something else.

Yeah, I read that after I saw the second episode of the third season. That horrendous CGI job they did in that episode tipped me off that something was wrong. Still, while it is sad that she died, I'm not exactly cross that that character got written out of the show. She was one of my least favourite characters, so I was glad that another storyline was developed instead of the one in spoilertags. 

11 hours ago, Astromech said:

Good choice. You can also skip the first half of season 2 of Outlander unless you like Rom-Coms.

Hey, if done right, a rom-com can be great :) I haven't watched that second season yet either, how would you rate it in comparison to the first season?

7 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Hey, if done right, a rom-com can be great :) I haven't watched that second season yet either, how would you rate it in comparison to the first season?

I thought the first half of the season was mediocre, but the second half was much better. Basically,

Spoiler

most of the storyline in France was a mess, but it improved greatly when they returned to Scotland. The whole storyline in France seemed like one of those poor Tudorotica novels or a poor Rom-Com. Jaime and Clare were at times insufferable as well. They were like that one couple everyone knows who are great individually, but are somehow very tiring when they are together. It was odd, because that was only the case in the first half of season with the scheming at the French court.

I saw Legend of Tarzan in IMAX 3D today and it was mediocre. I hope Joker & Harley have better chemistry than Jane & Tarzan. I'm putting the weight of this lack of sizzle on Tarzan though, as while he looked the part with his jungle swinggin' six pack, he just didn't really convey power. But Tarzan's casting wasn't the only spotty thing on this film. The action and CGI were rather meh, too. Djimon Huntsu had a small but menacing roll that made me wish Marvel cast him as Black Panther. Christof Waltz & Sam Jackson were also good in their supporting rolls.

11 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

just started fargo season 2. first episode is already pretty stellar. one 10 min stretch in particular i have watched about 4 times. . .

This is good to hear as I'm doing Fargo S2 after I wrap up Peaky Blinders S3.

Attended the first showing of Ghostbusters at our favorite local theater.

The spouse began laughing his head off in the very beginning of the first scene. He laughed all the way through.  This mattes because he hates movies and never goes.  And when he does, because it's a special screening of a film a friend made, he walks out within the ten minutes and relies on me to carry the weight of discussing the film with the director afterwards.

But he really loved the first Ghostbusters and this was as least as good as far as he was concerned.  One of the reasons we so enjoyed the original is that it was so much about our city -- not that anyone had to know NYC and get all those NYC visual and verbal jokes to be vastly entertained.  It's the same with this one.

And, gotta say, who knew Chris Hemsworth was such a fantastic dancer?  The final credits role includes a prolonged sequence of Hemsworth busting his moves, which is vastly entertaining in itself.

The audience laughed along with Himself and everyone applauded at the end.  It's the perfect summer movie -- and hooboy is it hot and humid here.  Adults find it fun and kids will be able to get it and laugh too.

6 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

^^^^ So we're all supposed to believe that a male who was a big fan of the first Ghostbusters actually enjoyed an all-female lead sequel? The internets has failed me again.

Well, you know, he ain't afraid of girls. Female sorts are just one of the normal parts of his pretty interesting life. :)  Though he has always particularly found Leslie Jones very funny and entertaining.  He likes her characters.

But the whole point of our enjoyment on this hot and sweaty day has nothing to do with men or women or whatever -- the movie's fun and and it's funny, and it's an escape from real world horrors.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

I've heard nothing but good - albeit qualified good - things about it. Supposedly it doesn't solve every issue the theatrical release has, but it does solve quite a few, including the fucked up editing. 

I'm also looking forward to watching it, although I don't know if/when it's going to be released in the cinema here. Or when it comes out on blu-ray/dvd, for that matter.

The Blu-Ray is out on 1st August, apparently. I am a bit curious about it, the original film had so many problems I'm not sure how big an improvement a new cut can be, but I suppose occasionally extended cuts can make a big difference (Kingdom of Heaven springs to mind).

4 hours ago, williamjm said:

The Blu-Ray is out on 1st August, apparently. I am a bit curious about it, the original film had so many problems I'm not sure how big an improvement a new cut can be, but I suppose occasionally extended cuts can make a big difference (Kingdom of Heaven springs to mind).

The Blu-Ray is showing July 19th on both the Canadian and US Amazons.

9 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

^^^^ So we're all supposed to believe that a male who was a big fan of the first Ghostbusters actually enjoyed an all-female lead sequel? The internets has failed me again.

Richard Roeper must be one of those woman hating internet bullies.  Who the hell can we trust?

Finished watching The Living and the Dead last night. What a great series! I loved the setting and the cinematography. The acting by the two leads was pretty good, especially in the finale. I honestly did not know how it was going to conclude. For a story that was so much more about death/the dead than the living it seemed inevitable that there would be some death at the finish. Definitely recommended viewing. Only six episodes, so you could binge watch it in a day with the curtains drawn. Obviously that's six BBC hours with no ad breaks. :)

Archived