2016 deaths

dbunting

Just a list of people who passed in 2016 (so far) that had an impact on my life in some small way.

David Bowie - not a huge fan but liked some hits

Alan Rickman - loved him in Die Hard

Dan Haggerty - loved watching him in Grizzly Adams as a kid growing up

Abe Vigoda - Fish, enough said

Glenn Frey - great music

George Kennedy - great at small roles, made them larger than they should have been

Joe Garagiola - too many one liners to list

Gary Shandling - too many comic moments

Doris Roberts - great mother on television

Prince - loved a lot of his music

Morley Safer - only knew of him through 60 minutes but always stopped on tv when he was on a segment

Muhammad Ali - Wasn't a huge fan but loved that he stood up for his rights

Kimbo Slice - spent too much time watching his illegal fights

Gordie Howe - being in the Detroit area, everyone has heard a few stories about how great of a man he was, not on the rink but as a man.

Pat Summit - never heard of womens college basket ball until she came along. Great great coach

Kenny Baker - R2D2, yes it was a can, but he brought it to life

Gene Wilder - loved his movies in the 80's

Florence Henderson - Mrs. Brady...and Wesson oil!

Alan Thicke - Wanted him as my dad.

Craig Sager - just enjoyed how he seemed to live his life

George Micheal - really got into his music for a while

Carrie Fisher - The damsel in distress from Star Wars who didn't really need saving! Probably the most influential movie in my life, saw it at the drive in on top of our van, I think I was 5 at the time. Saw her stronger in Empire and as a leader in Jedi, well, and in the gold bikini!

Seems like 2016 has taken a lot of people, can't wait for it to end! Scary thought is that I am now at an age where the people I grew up watching are now at the age where death is not uncommon.

John Glenn

Ron Glass

Ricky Harris also died today

Richard Adams also died today

Zsa Zsa Gabor

Greg Lake

Peter Vaughan

Gwen Ifil

Robert Vaughn

Pete Burns

Arnold Palmer

Garry Marshall

Elie Wiesel

Anton Yelchin

Gordie Howe

Merle Haggard

Patty Duke

The list goes on.

For some it will be Bowie or Prince or any number of the many celebrities who passed in "16" that left the most memories for them, the most grieved so to speak. But for me no passing was more resonate personally than Muhamed Ali for 2016. It was like a chunk of 20th century history just lopped off and plunged in the ocean, like a melting polar glacier wall. He was no mere boxer, for me he was up there with the Beatles, Malcolm X or Nixon as this entity that was intersected with dozens of era defining issues and events, he was this great straw of the 60's and 70's that touched Vietnam, the Supreme Court, the Nation of Islam, Don King, the social upheaval and by extension a myriad of issues like money in sports, the war and race protests. At his height he was described as the most recognizeable person on the planet and imo, only a book could tell his profound story, culturally America had never seen anyone quite like this before, and the whole world couldnt turn away its gaze at times. 

Archived