Watch, Watched, Watching: New Year, New List.

Grand Moff Mithrandir

I have been watching the new season of Britain's Got Talent, and I think that I'm the only person on the board that watches the show. I can't stop re-watching the singer, Christian, at the end of last weekend's episode (ep2 of the auditions).

I'm also watching s1 of House of Cards. Even though I find it annoying when Spacey "breaks the 4th wall," I'm highly enjoying the show.

I just watched the movie 42. I was incredibly impressed with how this movie addressed the issue of racism in the period. Most of the time, Hollywood will portray people as either evil and racist, or pure and for equal rights. This movie actually had the courage to show that racism as an institution was practiced by just about everyone.

It was inspiring to see just the tip of the iceberg what Jackie Robinson went through, and how he overcame hatred with his passion for game. I think that this movie is now firmly in my top 10 list of all time best sports movies.

I watched The Place Beyond the Pines last night. I stupidly decided to watch it at midnight, so it finished at almost 3 in the morning. I felt exhausted afterwards, both emotionally and just legit tired. I don't say this about many films, but it was truly beautiful, in it's own dark and sad way. I've already rewatched it earlier today lol. It's one of those movies where it's so incredibly great it makes all other movies look mediocre, even ones I used to love.

I also watched Mud like ten minutes ago. It was good, but wasn't as great as I thought it would be based off reviews and stuff. Matthew was great in it, but honestly, if he wasn't in it and I didn't love him so much from True Detective, I probably wouldn't have watched it.

I'm planning on watching Blue Valentine sometime soon, since it's by the same guy that did Beyond the Pines. I'm very hesitant about romantic movies though.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to watch Frozen. Its really good and I enjoyed how they chose to deviate from the norm of damsel in distress who needs a sweet Prince Charming to come rescue her. Olaf was by far my favorite character, he's hilarious and adorable. "Knock. Just knock" "Why isn't she knocking?" "Do you think she knows how to knock?" :laugh: had me in stitches.

I watched The Place Beyond the Pines last night. I stupidly decided to watch it at midnight, so it finished at almost 3 in the morning. I felt exhausted afterwards, both emotionally and just legit tired. I don't say this about many films, but it was truly beautiful, in it's own dark and sad way. I've already rewatched it earlier today lol. It's one of those movies where it's so incredibly great it makes all other movies look mediocre, even ones I used to love.

I'm planning on watching Blue Valentine sometime soon, since it's by the same guy that did Beyond the Pines. I'm very hesitant about romantic movies though.

I found it good yet disappointing. The film kind of dies along with one of the main characters. I saw it at the pictures and it felt far too long, like 1/3 too long. Bradley Cooper couldn't really stand up to Ryan Gosling in terms of performance. And the love interest, blanking on her name right now, really underwhelming performance there. Blue Valentine is so, so much better.

I finally got around watching Looper a couple of weeks ago. Wow. Did JGL's eyebrows get their own trailer? So distracting. A mildly diverting movie but really nothing special.

I agree about Looper being good but nothing special. And setting the early stuff in the 2040's seemed weird since it mostly looked like now. Why not just set the early stuff now and the future stuff in the '40's?

I've been re-watching the Shield on Amazon Prime. During my original real-time viewing of the series, I recall thinking the Shield had it's ups and downs as the seasons went on. There were a couple of villains who were immensely hyped, only for them to be shuffled off in an anti-climactic manner (Armadillo, Margo Dezerian). I didn't get that feeling this time around though I suspect it has more to do with being able to marathon through entire storyarcs fairly quickly. Regardless, the series has held up quite well. Adding Glenn Close in season 4 and Forest Whitaker in season 5 & 6 was a great move and changed the dynamic of the show and kept it from re-treading too deeply into the same territory. The series finale still leaves you with that stunned gut-punched feeling that I had the first time I watched it.

Ultimately I think my fondness for the show and my continued enjoyment of it stems from the lack of any other show like it. No other show has pulled off the multi-party race between foes quite as well as the Shield. Perhaps Justified comes close but it still stands as little brother to the Shield.

Is that the same guy who (after however many days on an island with barely any food) started fantasising about what he would eat when he got back home. He started listing all kinds of dull things like 'crackers and Kraft cheese'. I was totally expecting him to say McDonalds too!

That guy has no imagination (and no taste). If I spent a single day starving on an island is be craving whole Peking ducks, seared tuna steaks, rare steak and triple cooked chips, beef brisket, all kinds of smoked meats in fact... and that's without giving it ANY thought at all.

In other news: we finished The X Files. Season 9 was so weak and meandering. Bit of a low point in the whole series. Shame it went out like that.

Archived