Watch, Watched, Watching: New Year, New List.

Grand Moff Mithrandir

Hmm Rectify. Will look for that thanks.

Watched 22 Jump Street to kill some time and found it not a complete waste - disengage and enjoy.

Then I watched What We Do In The Shadows. Was easy to like, being a kiwi, but then who wouldn't like a mockumentary about vampires flatting in Wellington? Look out for the werewolves, they're hilarious. "mind the language. remember? We're werewolves not swearwolves" :)

Watched 22 Jump Street to kill some time and found it not a complete waste - disengage and enjoy.

I found it to be complete garbage all except the scene in the office between Ice Cube, Channing Tatum, and Jonah Hill. I laughed at that.

It really surprised me because I found the original movie surprisingly fresh, well written and funny. It was as if the writers took out everything that was good about the first movie and replaced it with homosexual relationship jokes.

Currently watching Buffy on netflix. Since previously I have seen the first 2 seasons and the last 2 seasons, I'm looking forward to the middle bits, lol.

Also sitting here right this moment watching I love the 2000s (love list/countdown shows, DVR them all the time lol ) and wondering, shouldn't they have waited a little longer? That and how did they not even touch on September 11th at all, I mean it wasn't a good moment, but it was still huge that year.

Watching season 2 of House of Cards.

Which inspired me to dig out my DVD of the UK original. Now watching for the first time, its season 2, To Play the King.

Francis (Prime minister): Achieved my ambition,. *sighs* bored now...

Elizabeth (his wife): You need a challenge.

Francis: Yes! I'll troll someone. But who?

Elizabeth: The king...

Francis: Yes, the king! I'll make him my bitch for the hell of it.

Watched Lone Survivor last night. Better than I expected, honestly. The sound effects were among the best I've ever heard, and the movie is apparently very loyal to the true story. I'm not much of a biography or true-story book reader, but after seeing this I really wanna go out and buy it. A very intense and powerful movie, although it does sometimes get a bit too Hollywood, especially at the end (which the ending was apparently completely different from the real life situation).

Re-watching Johnny Guitar, gods - this film is fantastic. The script is electric.

"I'm going to kill you" claims the hyper-shrill sexually repressed arch nemesis of Joan Crawford's commanding and respected Vienna.

"I know" answers Vienna matter of factly; "if I don't kill you first"

the stakes are so high in this film, the emotions so grand, characters so melodramatic, the set so minimal that it's an almost perfect piece of Theatre, it's an opera with no singing.

He Got Game.

I realized I had heard so much, seen so much...but never actually had seen the movie. I liked it...it was hoky in some places, stiff in others but I thought Allen did a great job not being an actor. His stiffness to me lent credit to him playing a teenager in a tough situation.

Liked it a lot, now I need to see Basketball Diaries again.

I watched Snowpiercer the other night and really enjoyed it. Chris Evans did some of the best acting I've seen from him and Tilda Swinton's character was awesome. It was an intriguing story, taking place entirely on the train, with some well shot action sequences. Highly recommended.

I marathoned Carnivale over the last 2 weeks. Hell of a show and definitely the darkest I've ever seen. I watched season 1 a few years back and quit after, among other reasons, being creeped out with a particularly dark episode involving a mining camp. I'm glad I stuck through this time around because the story was quite fascinating and got more interesting in the second season. The rich complexity and planning of the mythology is evident from the first episode to the last. I certainly would be interested in seeing where they took the story and the characters in a third season and beyond (since the original plan was for 6 seasons).

That said, the cootch-show stuff gave me the willies in most of their scenes. I don't think I could have filmed, acted or been involved in the production of any of it. And they constantly continued to find ways to make it more depraved. Creepy all around.

I finally got around to watching Masters of Sex, and it was fantastic. The first five episodes seemed to pack as much story as entire seasons of most shows. Can't wait for season 2.

I saw that What About Bob? was available on netflix, and I had forgotten how funny that movie is. Amazing.

With Penny Dreadful ending next week, we've started watching Tyrant.... the pilot was pretty good..... just waiting on the Walking Dead....

we're near the end of binging Rome... not sure what we'll binge next

I saw the pilot of "Tyrant" too. While the premise is intriguing, the characters are written a bit ham-fistedly. I know they're trying to squeeze a lot into one episode to capture people's interest, but I feel it could have been done more subtly. I didn't see the revelation at the end coming at all - silly me.

Another show I'm obsessed with is "Naked and Afraid." While "Survivor" is still a show I enjoy, N&A is Survivor on steroids. They're currently running a "behind the scenes" on N&A and it was excellent. Apparently, they have TONS of folks just waiting to strip down and be tortured by the elements, insects, and starvation.

I watched the movie The Rover the other day. It's in select theatres around the states and stars Guy Pearce and Robert Pattinson. I was excited for this because David Michod wrote and directed this and he made Animal Kingdom which is a classic in my eyes.

It was pretty good but very bleak so that might turn many off. Pearce was great per usual but Pattinson was the pleasant surprise. I was kind of turned off when I heard he was in it but he really did a great job playing a difficult character. It was a decent, slow-burn type post-apocalyptic thriller with some moments of brutal violence and a slight twist ending. I recommend.

Archived