Interstellar 2 - My God, it's full of SPOILERS

williamjm

There's going to be a sequel?

I don't think there will be.

This story arc is finished and I don't see anything that could be added to improve the experience.

That being said, it would hardly be the first time someone does a sequel to milk more money.

I do think that a problem with the sun has been done to death in cinema, I didn't really mind the 'running out of food bit'. To me, the plausibility aspect of the movie is the least interesting bit, and not something I'd hold against the film.

Either ways, catching this again on Friday. It's a pity that I won't be able to watch it on an IMAX screen.

Edit: Funny, I thought that documentary style opening was pretty weak.

I like how they tried to make parts of the film like a documentary the older people still getting the story of the bad old days out while it still existed in living memory, However all of that footage is actually from a documentary the history channel did back in 2004 http://www.amazon.com/Black-Blizzard/dp/B004S7G6PY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416303877&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=Black+Bilizard.%C2'>

It pissed me off that that documentary and the people in it didn't get creditied.

Visually it was great the first Imax film I've been to in ages go see this there it is actually worth it. The sound effects kept drowning out the dialog.

The plot was less than great but OK for what it was until they solved everything with the power of love. What a steaming crock of shit.

However not that it is going to happen but the story of how she figured out her fathers messages and got more then a few people to a space station obiitng saturn was the movie I want to see. And the part with the Baseball team at the end just makes me laugh. A good contrast from the opening scene.

Also while I;m thinking about it the newthink idea they pulled with the moon landings was really cool for about 10 seconds. quickly forgotten

I like how they tried to make parts of the film like a documentary the older people still getting the story of the bad old days out while it still existed in living memory, However all of that footage is actually from a documentary the history channel did back in 2004

Those scenes were jarring imo, they completely alleviated any tension the movie tried to build because in the end we know they succeed at their mission if there are people in the future making documentaries about how life was in the past during the blight.

No, that moon landings shit was stupid as all hell. Nothing about that society made any sense whatsoever and it bugged the shit out of me, even though I appreciated it was just handwaving to set up the main plot.

I don't think there will be.

This story arc is finished and I don't see anything that could be added to improve the experience.

That being said, it would hardly be the first time someone does a sequel to milk more money.

Aside from the Batman films Nolan doesn't really seem to do sequels so I doubt he'd do one.

No, that moon landings shit was stupid as all hell. Nothing about that society made any sense whatsoever and it bugged the shit out of me, even though I appreciated it was just handwaving to set up the main plot.

How did it set up the plot? I thought maybe it was just something for Cooper to get irate about to demonstrate his passion for exploration, but I didn't really get why something so extreme was necessary. Why go to all the trouble of manufacturing the lie, it's not like agricultural schools are empty cos of all the astronomical pipe dreams kids have these days.

How did it set up the plot? I thought maybe it was just something for Cooper to get irate about to demonstrate his passion for exploration, but I didn't really get why something so extreme was necessary. Why go to all the trouble of manufacturing the lie, it's not like agricultural schools are empty cos of all the astronomical pipe dreams kids have these days.

I took it as an extremely lazy shorthand for "this is why we don't have any more engineers, so that a random farmer can become SuperPilot and his daughter can conveniently become SuperPhysicist in The One Last Bastion Of Science".

I finally saw it and I have to say I liked it. I was already expecting to be annoyed because I was by Nolan's last two films and then I heard so much bad about the ending, but really the only thing I didn't like was the actual physical thing of him looking into her bedroom through the magic bookcase and literally punching out messages. It was silly when Superboy did it, it would have felt silly on Doctor Who if that ever did it, so it definitely felt silly here. I knew it was him from the second she mentioned a ghost, but they really needed to come up with a better way of him doing it.

The rest of it I liked. It looked glorious, and was just generally a quality spectacle. I fucking loved the docking scene.

After reading some of the responses in this thread, I definitely feel rather stupid for not figuring out it was him sending those messages.

Eh why? I didn't figure it out. I didn't even think about it. But then again, I hardly ever do. I just go along with the ride.

I think that's the difference, throughout most of the film I was thinking 'what was up with that weird bookcase stuff' and I still didn't really make that connection.

BTW, this article on slashfilm.com gives an insight into what Jonah Nolan's original script was like when it was written for Spielberg. It has some cool story beats that didn't make Chris Nolan's version, but some parts in that sound terrible. I found it fascinating.

After reading some of the responses in this thread, I definitely feel rather stupid for not figuring out it was him sending those messages.

Admittedly, I was helped by a combination of some lines from the trailers and people telling me about how stupidly overly emotional the ending was. Just made it easy to put together.

But (to blow my own horn) I find I'm pretty good at piecing things like that together. It's not always a good thing, since it can ruin what's supposed to be a shocking twist. But hey. In this case I think it helped, because I suspect I'd have facepalmed big-style if I hadn't been waiting for it.

BTW, this article on slashfilm.com gives an insight into what Jonah Nolan's original script was like when it was written for Spielberg. It has some cool story beats that didn't make Chris Nolan's version, but some parts in that sound terrible. I found it fascinating.

Interesting stuff. I'm glad they added more planets and removed some of the more convoluted stuff, but it's a big shame they didn't go with programming the drone to contain the information.

The science of this is also amazingly well done. One of the very few hard sci fi movies in a long time.

I have to question this, though. I'm not much of a physicist, but the science seemed to me to be complete nonsense from start to finish.

When Endeavor lost mass because of the airlock being blown out by Dr Mann, it appeared to me it was spinning at the same speed.

The whole movie was motivation for our intrepid hero to get back to his kids. And then he saw Murph for 2 minutes and he was, see ya bye!

Morse code is probably one of the slowest ways to transfer information. Why not just use the second hand of your watch for letters?

Nitpicks aside, the movie was in general enjoyable. I forgot to mention I hated the segues into "love" that Anne Hathaway and Matthew were compelled to make. No one cares about your biochemical impulses, stop pretending its an actual force of nature.

Archived