Watch, Watched, Watching: The Thin Red Line has been crossed

Veltigar

Watched Forest Gump for the first time. Great movie.

I...I don't know what to say.

Watched Safety not Guaranteed, it was okay, I thought it would be better. What if, or The F word is another one I watched recently, I enjoyed that a lot more. I quite like Zoe Kazan, and Adrian Brody Adam Driver was excellent too. I don't know how I got confused between those two.

In the same week that I watched Enemy I also watched The Double. I did really like it (kind of reminded me of The Castle by Kafka) but I feel its impact was lessened by having already watched a film about 'doubles' a few days earlier.

And then I saw 2001 for the first time (what a great hangover film it is). Now I have no problem with films with very little dialogue per se, and I suppose films like Upstream Color (little dialogue, aurally disturbing, unexplained visuals) - which I really enjoy - are in a similar sort of category, but I did get a little fatigued toward the end. I think the 'stargate' part in particular was a bit long.

Glad I've seen it though. Might read The Sentinel and then consider watching the film again in a few years. I'm trying hard to spend more time watching films and less time zoning out in front of rubbish on TV.

Saw The Guest. I remember at the time when it seemed like Downton was about to unravel people were sounding quite snobbish about the chances for Dan Stevens and Michelle Dockery. But Stevens was good, as was the film. It had this horror vibe which, combined with the scoring made for a fun, if limited, film. Now I want to go back and see what that director and his collaborators have done.

Saw The Guest. I remember at the time when it seemed like Downton was about to unravel people were sounding quite snobbish about the chances for Dan Stevens and Michelle Dockery. But Stevens was good, as was the film. It had this horror vibe which, combined with the scoring made for a fun, if limited, film. Now I want to go back and see what that director and his collaborators have done.

They also did a movie called You're Next. Fantastic horror film.

I watched Pacific Rim today (missed it when it was out at the cinema). It was ridiculous and the script wasn't up to much but I did enjoy it a lot and it was visually stunning (as expected from a Del Toro film). I could have done without the two scientists being quite so annoying. In terms of recent movies featuring giant CGI monsters attacking coastal cities I'd say it was better than last year's Godzilla film because it was more consistently entertaining and while I wouldn't say the characterisation wasn't any better at least it didn't rely so much on the underwritten characters for the plot.

Archived