Soccer XXXIII- MLS Rises and Various Euro Talk

MercenaryChef

A big call from AW to go for Welbeck over Giroud in the centre, given the form Giroud is in compared to welbeck. It was clearly the right call though. Welbeck defended from the front, winning the ball back on multiple occasions by harrying the united defenders and obviously there was the goal too.

Don't think there has been a better sight than the ref dishing out yellow cards for diving and taking names at the end. That bit made my night. Not going to try and predict how we do from this point, we should enjoy this win.

Also, I wish we had Gary 'body language expert' Neville to tell us how he felt about ozil's performance. Nacho did really well too, he might look malnourished, but I thought he was excellent. As was Per, who covered LK on multiple occasions.

United even got loads of extra time like the good old days. Complaints about the refereeing performance reek of bitterness.

United were outplayed by a superior Arsenal team. The much heralded manager and the squad with the highest wage bill in world football failed once again. Don't blame it on the ref.

Fucking brilliant result. Ozil had a great game, as did Mertesacker at the back. But my Man of the Match was Francis Coquelin, who was fucking immense, despite his broken nose. Considering he was going up against the most elbowy fucker in the league tonight, the lad showed a whole lotta bottle by eschewing the Phantom of the Opera face mask.

United were outplayed by a superior Arsenal team. The much heralded manager and the squad with the highest wage bill in world football failed once again. Don't blame it on the ref.

I said to my brother just before kick off that Oliver was probably the best referee in England. Brilliant performance from him tonight. I laughed my bollocks off when Di Maria got sent off.

You must be buzzing Spockers! Not much like being a team at their place after a decade. Congrats man

Haven't felt this good about a result since Wembley last May. Our form hasn't been great recently, but I'm hoping the result up there tonight will inspire us for the league run-in, perhaps even for the CL game against Monaco.

Haven't felt this good about a result since Wembley last May. Our form hasn't been great recently, but I'm hoping the result up there tonight will inspire us for the league run-in, perhaps even for the CL game against Monaco.

Can't believe it's been almost a decade. Catharsis is amazing. You're going to need a special effort at Monaco tho

I really hope we don't put extra effort into making a big come back against Monaco. I have zero confidence that Arsenal can beat Real, Barca, or Munich. Winning the FA Cup should be first priority, staying in the top 4 should be second, and winning the CL trophy a distant third.

Can't believe it's been almost a decade. Catharsis is amazing. You're going to need a special effort at Monaco tho

To be fair, we were fucking dreadful in the first leg. Their 3-1 lead has more to do with our shittiness than any brilliance on their part. A comeback is by no means out of the question.

I really hope we don't put extra effort into making a big come back against Monaco. I have zero confidence that Arsenal can beat Real, Barca, or Munich. Winning the FA Cup should be first priority, staying in the top 4 should be second, and winning the CL trophy a distant third.

Spoken like a true plastic.

I thought Canadians were polite.

I thought she actually was being pretty polite, considering Jozy ran straight up to our oldest, biggest, and most enthusiastic supporters group to strike his little pose.

Meh. I'd rather come back and win 3-0 after a horrible first leg. I don't care if we can beat Real, Barca or Bayern, I want to play them.

Agree with Mexal. We don't need to prioritise between three competitions (league, FA cup, CL). With our squad, we should be going for the best outcome in all three of them.

I would love it if this season could be considered progress from last season - e.g. FA Cup win again, higher place in the league (at least 3rd would eliminate the need for CL playoffs).

Obviously though even though the draw is favourable there is still the potential for Arsenal to cock it up. Hopefully Blackburn can blow Liverpool away on the return leg!

One thing I appreciated last night was that, from the start, there was some needle in the game for the first time in ages really. Not quite battle of Old Trafford stuff, but I miss that rivalry with them and this was a nice reminder. Even though we lost.

Also, if you think it's cathartic for you lot, imagine what it's like for Coquelin, who made his league debut in the 8-2.

The idea that you shouldn't try to win a game because there are good teams in the competition is one of the saddest things I've ever heard.

Are Real Madrid, Barcelona, and Bayern brilliant football teams? Yes. Are they invincible? Definitely not. The whole point of competing in the Champions League is to go up against these teams. And to suggest we shouldn't bother trying to turn around the deficit at Monaco because we might lose against one of the favourites is so wrong-headed, it's laughable. This is football. Anything is possible.

Hopefully Blackburn can blow Liverpool away on the return leg!

Nah. I hope Liverpool win just so we can make Stevie G cry on his birthday.

Archived