Growing meat in vast vats (methane gas no longer put into the atmosphere.)

Yes, releasing all the meat animals would be environmentally damaging. But so is factory farming. We could just eat them all in one big last feast before everyone goes veggie.

Now this is an idea with some legs under it. Everything stuffed into everything else, mega-turducken style.

Layers upon layers of meat, tasty animals all the way down

They would eventually die but not be in captivity/tortured/abused anymore but I don't wanna get into that here; i'm in the minority on this board when it comes to not eating meat i think.

Only if we killed them, cows are pretty resilient, and we know pigs can survive in pretty much every ecosystem we can. Chickens though? Yeah they'd probably die off largely, except in a few place without large predators. I'd bet money though that all three would do more damage to the local ecosystem than farming does though.

I would eat Vat-Grown or Lab-Cultured Meat, although I think that's the most expensive and least likely way we'll get to good meat-substitutes. We're much more likely to get a very convincing, very good meatless "meat" substitute along the lines of veggie burgers and Beyond Meat's chicken. Come up with a version of meatless chicken nuggets that are cheaper than the regular variety but taste just as "good", and you'll get at least a few fast food places and restaurants testing them out en masse.

In any case, I continue eating meat because I like to eat it. I wouldn't be averse to paying more for it if it meant more humane conditions for animals raised for food, but I'm not going to stop eating it any time soon. The mere fact that we're killing animals doesn't put me off of it - we have tons of animal-killing practices that get justified on utilitarian/human desires grounds, like killing off pest insects or the elimination of invasive species. And the animals in question are, as far as we can tell, happy as long as they get adequate space to live, eat, breed, and shit before dying. Knocking them out with a bolt gun is arguably more humane than them dying from wolves/coyotes ripping their intestines out while they're still alive.

I would eat Vat-Grown or Lab-Cultured Meat, although I think that's the most expensive and least likely way we'll get to good meat-substitutes. We're much more likely to get a very convincing, very good meatless "meat" substitute along the lines of veggie burgers and Beyond Meat's chicken. Come up with a version of meatless chicken nuggets that are cheaper than the regular variety but taste just as "good", and you'll get at least a few fast food places and restaurants testing them out en masse.

In any case, I continue eating meat because I like to eat it. I wouldn't be averse to paying more for it if it meant more humane conditions for animals raised for food, but I'm not going to stop eating it any time soon. The mere fact that we're killing animals doesn't put me off of it - we have tons of animal-killing practices that get justified on utilitarian/human desires grounds, like killing off pest insects or the elimination of invasive species. And the animals in question are, as far as we can tell, happy as long as they get adequate space to live, eat, breed, and shit before dying. Knocking them out with a bolt gun is arguably more humane than them dying from wolves/coyotes ripping their intestines out while they're still alive.

This, of course, is the big "if." And the reality is, depending on where you live (for example, if you live in America) we know for the fact that the vast, vast majority of animals are birthed, raised and killed in atrocious conditions where they do not get adequate space to live, eat, "breed" and shit before being killed for food.

Yeah no thanks to that vat meat bullshit for me.

I don't think they can get the taste right without soaking it in real

cows blood anyways , so it just seems in circle jerk stage for the forseeable future.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/08/lab_grown_meat_will_never_taste_right_it_s_a_waste_of_time.html

Now that vast swaths of urban neighborhoods are going back to meadow due to

human flight.

Perhaps the cows could go live in Detroit and munch down all the abandoned lawns?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2875525/The-tiny-urban-island-downtown-Detroit-Aerial-pictures-city-s-skyscrapers-surrounded-abandoned-homes-housing-plots-mansions-sprawling-countryside.html

Wait...it looks like they are already on it-http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/25/detroit-goats_n_3987786.html

A councilman is proposing a grazing ordinance to

keep up with mowing the abandoned lots.

I absolutely love it!

Only if we killed them, cows are pretty resilient, and we know pigs can survive in pretty much every ecosystem we can. Chickens though? Yeah they'd probably die off largely, except in a few place without large predators. I'd bet money though that all three would do more damage to the local ecosystem than farming does though.

You'd lose a lot of money then because factory farming and the meat industry is horribly toxic and dangerous to our environment and the ecosystem.

This, of course, is the big "if." And the reality is, depending on where you live (for example, if you live in America) we know for the fact that the vast, vast majority of animals are birthed, raised and killed in atrocious conditions where they do not get adequate space to live, eat, "breed" and shit before being killed for food.

Yep.

Most people don't want to think about it, the real tortures that animals are put through because it's too conflicting as a lot of these same people will love their pet dogs and their pet cats and find the idea of those same animals in disgusting conditions horrifying. A cow though? Nah, let's not think about it.

I'm not going to go the route of showing you all horrifying images and videos, but I really wish people would just fucking care more. I resent the notion that it's weak or pathetic to care about animals from a purely ethical standpoint. They are living creatures with nervous systems and feelings who can develop mental problems, depression, who get sick and die all like humans do except people like to shut off their brains and keep the idea of these living creatures being tortured out of their heads.

Like I said before, there probably are a lot of local farms that are nice to their animals and that's what a lot of people think their meat comes from, but those fucking pale in comparison to the multitude of factory farms which are hideous and disgusting and evil which is most likely where you get a lot of your meat from.

I resent the notion that it's weak or pathetic to care about animals from a purely ethical standpoint.

I respect this. It should go without saying that taking the less easy road is less weak or pathetic than taking the more difficult one, and it's inarguable that it's the far easier road to remain somewhat ignorant of farming practices and what we put on our plates.

And I say this as a regular easy-roader. I just know that being defensive about it would be the weaker path. I'm far from perfect but I'm at least self-aware enough that I choose not to let exposure to you tough-roaders make me feel bad about my own choices, instead I use you guys for inspiration. I may not be living the best I can right now, but, dammit, I'm on my damn way.

Thank you.

:) :) I am by no means perfect, I'm still vegetarian at the moment and not vegan so I'm possibly being a bit hypocritical but I'm also on my way. :P

It was not my intention to make people feel BAD here, I just wanted to make people THINK.

And to highlight how vat-grown meat can't be any more disgusting than where you get your normal meat from.

Actually we could be completely healthy on a vegan diet it's just a lot of people have awful food knowledge, me included

Possibly, but it seems plausible to me that not everyone has identical requirements and a healthy vegan diet is harder for some than others (in the sense of needing different vegan diets).

Just keep them on the existing farms until they die naturally; they don't need to be released into the wild. At the very least certainly don't release any males into the environment, and any problems the females cause would be temporary.

The mere fact that we're killing animals doesn't put me off of it - we have tons of animal-killing practices that get justified on utilitarian/human desires grounds, like killing off pest insects or the elimination of invasive species.

I'm pretty confident most insects don't have brains big enough to be capable of caring if they're alive or not. And more humane alternatives to dealing with invasive species are definitely preferable if we can come up with them.

Thank you.

:) :) I am by no means perfect, I'm still vegetarian at the moment and not vegan so I'm possibly being a bit hypocritical but I'm also on my way. :P

It was not my intention to make people feel BAD here, I just wanted to make people THINK.

And to highlight how vat-grown meat can't be any more disgusting than where you get your normal meat from.

It's natural, of course, for people to want to live their lives in as much ease, comfort and convenience as possible. So it's equally natural that the reaction of a lot of people, when they're asked to consider that all that ease, comfort and convenience may come at some extra cost, is defensiveness.

Obviously I say that from experience. I have to consciously turn my own thoughts away from that defensive thought pattern myself and use those I see as doing better than myself as an inspiration rather than an intimidation.

In some ways there's a parallel between having an athlete as an inspiration for athletic pursuits or a particular professor when it comes to academia, except that when it comes to living more ethically - particularly when it comes to the amount of animal product we consume - there's not the inherent pedestalization* of leaders that comes with more readily measured and publicized pursuits.

* Yes that's a real word. I mean, it is now.

I'd happily eat artificially grown meat. In theory there should be no difference in taste or nutrition and it would solve a lot of environmental and ethical issues. Also, imagine being able to custom-order any exotic meat you wanted from anywhere in the world.

Most people don't want to think about it, the real tortures that animals are put through because it's too conflicting as a lot of these same people will love their pet dogs and their pet cats and find the idea of those same animals in disgusting conditions horrifying. A cow though? Nah, let's not think about it.

I agree with what your saying but have a bit of a different answer. I live in Vietnam now and a lot of foreigners here talk about how barbaric it is that some Vietnamese eat dogs. When I point out that the pig their eating was just as smart as a dog they always mumble something about how dogs are just different or some bullshit like that.

I eat meat but I hate how far removed our society has become from what eating meat actually is, the killing and dismembering of another creature. A lot of people in the western world can't handle that. I watch a lot of travel shows and whenever local people kill an animal the camera pans away and the host mutters something about how horrible this but well it's the cycle of life,as if people don't kill animals in the west, as if it's some strange tribal practice, which the west has no part in. How we handle eating meat really fills me with disgust, we're so far removed from are environment, the viewers back home munching on their hamburgers can't handle what they actually are. Killing animals is for "primitives", our meat comes from the super market! If you were to butcher a cow in suburbia the people there would have a fit, probably call animal control and after they'll go to backyard BBQ and not see the contradiction.

Vegetarians are fine in my book, the people who are weak are the people who try not to think about where their food comes from.If you can't kill and butcher an animal or at least watch then you have no business eating meat.

Archived