Video Games: Excuse me Sir, the machine ate my quarter

Howdyphillip

At the time nothing was like Titan fall and the game play was fantastic - and very different. Now it's been absorbed by everything, including battlefront. But two years ago it was incredible.

Evolve seemed like such a neat idea. Problem is that the monster is both easier to play and way way more fun.

Anyone play through Telltale's Game of Thrones series?  I just realized that the last episode downloaded a few hours ago and just played through it.  That was a hell of a finale.  I don't normally replay their episodes (I like to do it once and live with my choices...plus in earlier episodes I feel like not enough changes to make it worthwhile), but based on some of what I've read on the Telltale boards some people had wildly different experiences than I did by making different choices, so I think I'm going to replay it sometime during the next week.

Very strong ending to the season, though.

Anyone play through Telltale's Game of Thrones series?  I just realized that the last episode downloaded a few hours ago and just played through it.  That was a hell of a finale.  I don't normally replay their episodes (I like to do it once and live with my choices...plus in earlier episodes I feel like not enough changes to make it worthwhile), but based on some of what I've read on the Telltale boards some people had wildly different experiences than I did by making different choices, so I think I'm going to replay it sometime during the next week.

Very strong ending to the season, though.

I'm pretty sure there's a thread on it lying around somewhere. I haven't played it because I was waiting for the last episode to come out, but now that it has I think I will.

For my part, there's no depth on Battlefront (yes, I'm weak and I bought it). It's literally the most basic elements of a multiplayer shooter draped in Star Wars.

The Star Wars skin is good, I love running through Endor with fifteen Storm Troopers and rushing a bunker. But it's missing the brain-dead fast speed of Call of Duty, the pacing techniques of Titanfall, and the team/squad dynamics of Battlefield. The lack of classes is a huge annoyance because there's no gameplay variance, it sucks there's no squads (only an unexplained 'partners' system), and I've only got to play as a Hero 3 times in about 100 matches despite being towards the top of my team's leaderboard most games.

It feels like a game that was designed to appeal to everyone on the planet who wanted to be a Storm Trooper or defend against the Empire on Hoth, as opposed to a shooter with any overarching gameplay theme.

Being the Hero has nothing to do with your K/D ratio or score. It's just a token you can find. You should try Heroes vs Villians if you want time to play as them. 

You probably already knew that, but just in case I figured I'd say something. 

Really late to the party, but probably about 70% through The Witcher 3, and loving it. Writing, voice acting, overall game play are all great. Only complaints so far is the alchemy seems needlessly complicated, and I really wish Roach could step over a rock, fallen tree, stiff blade of grass, etc without pulling up short and making you jump him. Also, that Bloody Baron arc was one of my favorite, I think ever in a game.

Being the Hero has nothing to do with your K/D ratio or score. It's just a token you can find. You should try Heroes vs Villians if you want time to play as them. 

You probably already knew that, but just in case I figured I'd say something. 

Yeah, I knew. I was more railing against the stupid nature of the too-random distribution of the perk. I tried to explain this game to a friend at the bar last night, and I literally struggled to find words. What I came up with was 'it's not that I don't like it, it's that there's nothing to like' which is extremely frustrating. It's just the most bland gameplay I've ever seen in a major (modern) title, let alone a Star Wars one.

Yeah, I knew. I was more railing against the stupid nature of the too-random distribution of the perk. I tried to explain this game to a friend at the bar last night, and I literally struggled to find words. What I came up with was 'it's not that I don't like it, it's that there's nothing to like' which is extremely frustrating. It's just the most bland gameplay I've ever seen in a major (modern) title, let alone a Star Wars one.

I dunno, bland gameplay is almost a standard feature of Star Wars games in my experience.

I dunno, bland gameplay is almost a standard feature of Star Wars games in my experience.

Apart from maybe Supremacy, Empire at War and the terrible Galactic Battlegrounds (which were all pretty generic strategy games with a thin Star Wars sheen applied), I'm hard-pressed to think of a SW game with bland gameplay. The Jedi Knight, Knights of the Old Republic and X-Wing series (the best Star Wars games) are all fantastic, Republic Commando was pretty good, even Force Commander (a potentially great game hamstrung by so many issues) had its moments.

I really enjoyed them all, but I'd still have to say the gameplay in Jedi Power Battles and Starfighter/Jedi Starfighter were nothing special.

Speaking of old SW games, did everyone see that Super Star Wars was remastered and released on the PlayStation Store?

Apart from maybe Supremacy, Empire at War and the terrible Galactic Battlegrounds (which were all pretty generic strategy games with a thin Star Wars sheen applied), I'm hard-pressed to think of a SW game with bland gameplay. The Jedi Knight, Knights of the Old Republic and X-Wing series (the best Star Wars games) are all fantastic, Republic Commando was pretty good, even Force Commander (a potentially great game hamstrung by so many issues) had its moments.

I thought Rogue Squadron was pretty great as well.

So I've mostly been playing Fallout 4 and FFXIV recently, but I have been sneaking in the Road to Gehenna DLC to The Talos Principle. I finished it tonight, and its a hell of a thing. Its story isn't really philosophically-based the way the base game is, but its still really good. There's far fewer puzzles too, but they are much, much harder than anything in the base game. 

Just like the base game, it sounds good enough on paper already (gorgeous looking, ultra serious puzzle game) if that's what you're looking far; but the sum of the parts somehow takes it beyond "good" and into "this is something really special," at least for me. Its the rare game that makes me just shut up and want to think about things, but The Talos Principle did when I finished it last year and the Road to Gehenna did tonight.

To give a sense of what I mean, without spoiling anything, this is the song playing during the end. Really shows off the grandeur and seriousness the game was going. Its a hell of an accomplishment for the devs who make the Serious Sam games.

All the time I spent playing Battlefront over the weekend was spent wishing I had gotten into the Overwatch Beta -.-

Fallout 4 came out at the perfect time to save me from dying waiting for beta access. The Hearthstone wait was maddening. 

Running some Vanilla WoW on a crowded PvE server which is currently not even patched up to Azuregos, so this is the original experience. ZOMG it is HARD! Two normal level mobs and you struggle. Three and you run. Oh and running. You run everywhere since a flight is 6 silver and it will break the bank. Above all it really shows how dumbed down retail wow is. I'm kinda loving it, in a masochistic way.

It's also hilarious to watch all the Wrath/Cata baby nubcakes wonder why the summoning stones aren't working, why lvl 18 blues aren't selling for 5G, why levelling as moonkin is a bad idea, that the CC button is there to be used, why going to an instance at the level it is first available is a bad idea, and why they can't DPS before the tank is pulling.

It also made me realise *I* have forgotten how to really play this game. Like the nubcakes I was laughing at, I spent talent points on damage talents instead of utility, for instance. And respeccing is too expensive, so that will have to stay until lvl 60.

Running some Vanilla WoW on a crowded PvE server which is currently not even patched up to Azuregos, so this is the original experience. ZOMG it is HARD! Two normal level mobs and you struggle. Three and you run. Oh and running. You run everywhere since a flight is 6 silver and it will break the bank. Above all it really shows how dumbed down retail wow is. I'm kinda loving it, in a masochistic way.

It's also hilarious to watch all the Wrath/Cata baby nubcakes wonder why the summoning stones aren't working, why lvl 18 blues aren't selling for 5G, why levelling as moonkin is a bad idea, that the CC button is there to be used, why going to an instance at the level it is first available is a bad idea, and why they can't DPS before the tank is pulling.

It also made me realise *I* have forgotten how to really play this game. Like the nubcakes I was laughing at, I spent talent points on damage talents instead of utility, for instance. And respeccing is too expensive, so that will have to stay until lvl 60.

:D  That's the game I remember!  The one where Hogger logged the most player kills.

Is that a private server or did Blizzard open up some vanilla servers for the anniversary? 

I don't know why, but this is making me want to play WoW again. Damn nostalgia.

Archived