Football Thread No. WhoCares - Let's keep the conversation going

baxus

@MercifulChef

I don't follow my local team because:

1. They're all crap

2. Not only are they crap but, more importantly, they're filled to the brim with criminals and "agents" and similar scum of the Earth types.

@MercifulChef

I don't follow my local team because:

1. They're all crap

2. Not only are they crap but, more importantly, they're filled to the brim with criminals and "agents" and similar scum of the Earth types.

those are some really good reasons to not support your local. americans can only really site your first reason. and even that i find to be kind of bullshit. 

a couple years ago our city lad alex was out here on a visit. we took him to our then worst team in the league dc united for a match which he completely enjoyed because of the passion of the fans in our section. the next morning we met at a pub where he was rather disgusted by the americans supporting man united. 

american fandom of the global game is rather interesting. and i say this as a very fervent newcastle supporter. i think a good part of it currently has to do with how well epl is marketed in the states. every single game is available to watch live. that is pretty awesome really. hopefully it will breed more americans supporting the lesser clubs of the league and inspires more of them to check out their local teams as well. 

i think a good part of it currently has to do with how well epl is marketed in the states. every single game is available to watch live. that is pretty awesome really. hopefully it will breed more americans supporting the lesser clubs of the league and inspires more of them to check out their local teams as well. 

And they're all available without having to buy a special league-specific package (at least here in NYC). Can't say the same about MLS (or ANY of the American sports leagues, to be fair).

the lad is pure fucking class. i need to convince him to show himself here again. guys like you need tempered a bit! ;)

Despite his questionable taste in team colours, he is indeed a top fella. Where is he, anyway? I mean, I have him on twitter but my twitter entry experiment has been a miserable failure so...

No I don't blame US fans for choosing a top 5-6 team to support. We have no allegiance to  English local teams and why would anyone choose to support a team that doesn't play in Europe and never challenges for a title? I became an Arsenal fan cause I lived in Old Highbury Stadium for a few years but I understand why most Americans would be "plastics". 

As for local MLS teams, I'd like to get into it but don't really care enough to make the effort. I support too many sports teams as it is and my footy is already on Saturday/Sunday mornings and during the week. Adding another team on top of that with NFL, NBA and NCAA basketball just won't fit. So while those reasons might not be good enough for you MC, they are why I give two shits about MLS and likely won't change, local or not.

those are some really good reasons to not support your local. americans can only really site your first reason. and even that i find to be kind of bullshit. 

I not really into judging people for being 'plastic' fans, so long as they're invested in their support  it doesn't really matter if they're not from the local area or they don't have family connections to the area. I can see why some people have that attitude though, you're not really supposed to 'choose' the team you support and if you're born into the fan base you didn't.

I'm not sure how much that really applies to MLS though, when you're talking about teams that have been around since the 90's or later it doesn't really have the same dynamic. It's good for people to support football in their local areas but I think I'd feel less, obligation I suppose, to support a side established recently rather than one I'd grown up supporting. I think that's something that'll come with time for MLS sides as they start getting generations of fans going.

ETA: Spurs do look good. This is a little worrying after Liverpool giving me some hope yesterday.

He also kept Sterling in his back pocket all game :D fucking love Clyne. Gonna be interesting to see how Klopp manages Sturridge and Benteke since they're both fit now and that front three is clicking together so well. 

Yes, Clyne has been great defensively and looks so much more comfortable at RB than RWB.  Plus he makes great decisions on when to push forward on the overlap and when to hang back.  He just needs to improve his use of the ball.  But right now we have two full backs playing very well with a narrow midfield in front of them and it is making a huge difference.

I think Benteke was effectively dropped for the City game after an insipid showing against Leicester, so I think it's pretty clear how Klopp will manage competition for places.  Sturridge would probably click faster in the interplay but he doesn't have any divine right to displace anyone right now, and he'll have to show that he will work hard enough without the ball.

I'm hoping we start Benteke and Ibe against Bordeaux and let them get some playing time, plus rest others.  Coutinho will need to skip at least that game and Firmino/Lallana could play one half each with Sturridge on the bench to replace Benteke or Ibe in the last 20 minutes.

News sounds bad on Coquelin. Not expected to play again in 2015 and looking more and more like it'll be at least 3 months. no one could have possibly predicted this when Wenger went into the season with Arteta/Flamini as his back up and by no one I mean everyone. Oh well. Maybe Ramsey will get his CM spot back if he ever gets healthy.

the next morning we met at a pub where he was rather disgusted by the americans supporting man united

You can't really hold that against him, you know? That sight's enough to turn most people's stomachs inside out. ;)

Was just about to say that. Arsenal are going to be looking nervously over their shoulders.

Meh. They'll do their usual thing of flattering to deceive before spectacularly bottling it sometime around March/April. 

News sounds bad on Coquelin. Not expected to play again in 2015 and looking more and more like it'll be at least 3 months. no one could have possibly predicted this when Wenger went into the season with Arteta/Flamini as his back up and by no one I mean everyone. Oh well. Maybe Ramsey will get his CM spot back if he ever gets healthy.

Oh, Jesus. Ah well, that's it for another season then. 

Despite his questionable taste in team colours, he is indeed a top fella. Where is he, anyway? I mean, I have him on twitter but my twitter entry experiment has been a miserable failure so...

As of the end of yesterday's match, he was in despair.

Honestly I hope Leicester keep it going at least one more week.  They're so much more enjoyable to watch than United IMO...

Archived