US Politics - Trump - Making America Grate!

zelticgar

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

NY Times, Washington Post, Newsweek, The Economist, Wall Street Journal and if I'm feeling really adventurous, National Review.

All of those, plus BBC, Guardian, Vox, NPR, Think Progress.  I also scan headlines on google news.  When I need to feel clean I like to check out Salon or Slate or HuffPo.  

10 minutes ago, Mexal said:

NY Times, Washington Post, Newsweek, The Economist, Wall Street Journal and if I'm feeling really adventurous, National Review.

8 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Those are all pretty solid. I'd throw the BBC in as well.

I also read The Atlantic, Jezebel/TheSlot, Deadspin/TheConcourse, of course YouTube videos (:P).

I wish there was a package to subscribe to a few news sites (e.g. NYT, WaPo, and The Atlantic). 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Twitter is great for commentary, not so sure about as a source for straight-up news. Not familiar enough with Reddit to comment.

I'm still learning more about using Twitter, but I do like scanning it for what the reporters and people on the ground are reading/linking to.  You still need to check where some things are coming from, but if it's something linked by a reporter generally not in Trump's graces. It's likely worth reading.

To all those (not reddit or really twitter as it gets so messy with fake and fights -- though the person I live with watches quite a few people on twitter, though without an account, so avoids the temptation to post) we can add The Nation, The Atlantic Monthly, Alternet and Politico.

3 hours ago, The Killer Snark said:

Of course KellyAnne Conway lied, but this doesn't act in mitigation of the preposterous level of lying the Left controlled media have been constantly engaged in on behalf of their State/Media Collective paymasters, and especially now that a new establishment has come in. Plus, there's this from Hillary's second Goldman Sachs speech. I suggest people read it the whole way through.

Does this sound like someone who's been publicly honest about her own culpability re her Iranian dealings, or the true state of affairs in the Middle East to anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi9y5-Vo61w 

There you go again.

Trumpism is a culture war sold through chimerical economic and security gains. Michael Anton, a national-­security staffer in the administration and a key Trumpist intellectual, wrote an anonymous essay during the campaign predicting that Trump’s election would stanch what Anton called “the ceaseless importation of Third World foreigners with no tradition of, taste for, or experience in liberty.”

The True Purpose of Trumpism

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/02/the-true-purpose-of-trumpism.html

Just now, Jaxom 1974 said:

Gloves come off, right?  It's one thing to decry "fake news" when the ciberage doesn't match his personal expectations, or mock a reporter for their handicap, but now he's creating conspiracy out of thin air. 

Yeah, saw that already (via Twitter lol) I love how he just leaves it out there for his base to interpret with his, "You know why," in regard to the media not reporting on terrorist events in Europe.

I just... I can't even. 

The 'Media won't report it' is a common meme favored by the RW noise and CT machine.  It's especially popular in the many emails that circulate with hysterical stories that get forwarded around.  Trump the CT affictionado might really believe this. 

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I've got somewhat general question. Where do you guys get your news? I recently started working third shift and I don't really see... people much anymore, and I'm trying to stay informed. I also just can't watch the TV news anymore. I feel like everything is just an attempt to keep you watching until a commercial and sell you a Subaru.

Anybody have any suggestions for consistent/reliable sources?

Others already answered but I thought I'd link this site that organizes outlets according to bias and trustworthiness https://mediabiasfactcheck.com for a convenient reference.    

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Damn, saw I forgot a few and now realizing how much I read everyday, especially since conservatives voted to end America.  No wonder I haven't read a lot of books so far this year. 

Me too. I read a lot of articles from those that I forgot plus I'd also add The Daily Beast. 

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Gloves come off, right?  It's one thing to decry "fake news" when the ciberage doesn't match his personal expectations, or mock a reporter for their handicap, but now he's creating conspiracy out of thin air. 

That was a bizarre and rather scary story, Jax. Those were honestly the ramblings of a crazy person.

It also feels like a perfect time to remind everyone that Trump's victory was 100% your fault! You Jaxomed the world, bro! 

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That was a bizarre and rather scary story, Jax. Those were honestly the ramblings of a crazy person.

It also feels like a perfect time to remind everyone that Trump's victory was 100% your fault! You Jaxomed the world, bro! 

It's not out of thin air. He got it from InfoWars.

President Trump made a whopper of a claim on Monday, suggesting that the media is deliberately ignoring terrorist attacks.

"It’s gotten to a point where it’s not even being reported," he said to military leaders at U.S. Central Command. "And in many cases the very, very dishonest press doesn’t want to report it. They have their reasons, and you understand that."

The comments would seem to be a response to the hubbub over Kellyanne Conway having repeatedly cited a non-existent terror attack in Bowling Green, Ky., in recent days. But Trump doesn't appear to have totally invented this theory on the fly.

Instead, the kernel of the idea appears to have come from -- or at least been propagated by -- one of his favorite news sources: the conspiracy theory website InfoWars.

As @UrbanAchievr noted after Trump's comments, InfoWars has been barking up this tree for a while now. A sampling of its headlines:

• "FAKE NEWS: MAINSTREAM MEDIA WHITEWASHES ISLAMIC TERROR IN BERLIN: Propagandists desperate to hide the obvious" -- Dec. 20
  • "SCANDAL: MASS MEDIA COVERS UP TERRORISM TO PROTECT ISLAM" -- July 29
  • "GERMANY COVERING UP TERROR PLOTS TO PROTECT MUSLIM MIGRANTS" -- June 24
  • "MEDIA CAUGHT COVERING UP ISLAMIC TIES IN MUNICH ATTACK" -- July 24
  • "VIDEO: TERROR IN GERMANY – THE TRUTH THEY HIDE: Mass media deception to conceal what's really happening" -- July 25

Former congressman Allen West (R-Fla.) has also pushed this idea, posting a video from InfoWars back in August under the headline, "TERROR ATTACK: Massive media cover-up." And it's a theme that has cropped up on other conspiracy theory and right-wing websites from time to time.

On Monday, China lodged a formal protest against the sanctions, and warned that it will increase challenges for the international community’s coordination on Iran.

“We have consistently opposed any unilateral sanctions,” Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson Lu Kang said at a news conference. “The sanctions will not help in enhancing trust among the different parties involved and will not help in resolving international problems.”

The Washington Post reports that “the state-run Xinhua news agency said the sanctions cast a shadow over the prospects for a peaceful settlement of the Iranian nuclear issue and called them a ‘ticking time bomb’ for peace and stability in the entire Middle East.”

China’s response to the sanctions is a reminder that the degree to which the US and China get along has real consequences for the rest of the world.=0

Trump's new sanctions targeted Iran. So why is China angry about them?
China is in the crosshairs of some of the US’s new penalties.

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/2/6/14522040/iran-sanctions0china

6 hours ago, denstorebog said:

I don't know why others find this so scary, this is the most uplifting thing I've read all day. I mean, really. Could it be that all our dystopian nightmare scenarios will fail to materialize, not because of the Resistance or opposition in the streets, but because the Trump administration is too fucking incompetent to build a proper fascist regime?

Collateral damage is the problem here. Idiots with guns are still idiots and guns don't care who they are pointed at. Only in a perfect world would they only shoot each other and leave the innocent alone. Of course in a perfect world Trump would be a bankrupt nonentity. 

Archived