US Politics - Trump - Making America Grate!

zelticgar

thank you, Senator Reid

And that's that. 50/50 vote for DeVos. Unbelievable. The most unqualified, batshit insane Education Secretary in history with zero understanding of any of the education issues and only experience is with schools is the ones her kids went to which are specifically for the super rich. Can't wait to see how this goes...

I know right? public schools were performing so well, now we're in big trouble

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/us-student-performance-slips-on-national-test/2015/10/27/03c80170-7cb9-11e5-b575-d8dcfedb4ea1_story.html?utm_term=.cf6f5a3dabfa

Fourth-graders and eighth-graders across the United States lost ground on national mathematics tests this year, the first declines in scores since the federal government began administering the exams in 1990.

Reading performance also was sobering: Eighth-grade scores dropped, according to results released Wednesday, while fourth-grade performance was stagnant compared with 2013, the last time students took the test.

And the tests again show large achievement gaps between the nation’s white and minority students as well as between poor and affluent children, an indication that the nation’s disadvantaged students are not gaining ground despite more than a decade of federal law designed to boost their achievement.

11 minutes ago, Notone said:

Thanks @Hereward and @Which Tyler 

I am always a bit confused which one is Murdoch's: The Sun, The Mirror, or The Daily Mail. 

Ths Sun and The Times - oh, and Sky TV

The Mirror is Piers Morgan's old stomping ground (mind you, he also did The Sun and the News of the World for Murdoch before graduating to the Mirror)

The Daily Mail famously hates everyone - with the possible exception of the Queen, but sometimes her as well - they're also famous for thinking that the only thing not to give you cancer is reading the Daily Mail.

5 minutes ago, Notone said:

Thanks @Hereward and @Which Tyler 

I am always a bit confused which one is Murdoch's: The Sun, The Mirror, or The Daily Mail. 

Sorry, missed Which Tyler's reply. The Sun is Murdoch's and aimed at the working class. The Mirror is firmly pro-Labour. The Mail is aimed at the (mostly) female middle class and is owned by Lord Rothermere, though he has no input on editorial matters. Ironically, Rothermere wasa fervent Remain supporter.

8 minutes ago, Commodore said:

De-funding public schools and focusing entirely on charter/private schools with zero accountability is not the answer. Nor is trying to turn our school system into an advancement of "God's Kingdom". Do we have to fix our education system? Of course. But that isn't the way.

4 hours ago, denstorebog said:

What is this based on? I mean, we can find the occasional #trumpregret tweet here and there, but do you have anything to support that any meaningful number of Trump voters are regretting, to the point where the administration needs to react to it?

No, just anecdotal, family and friends. I don't think there's been an official poll done on it. And even if they did one, how many would actually admit it?

Of course, with this regime, any negative poll is fake. 

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

De-funding public schools and focusing entirely on charter/private schools with zero accountability is not the answer. Nor is trying to turn our school system into an advancement of "God's Kingdom". Do we have to fix our education system? Of course. But that isn't the way.

All that money is going to wind up right in their pockets.

The moral of the story, boys and girls, is that money CAN get you everything. 

This is Milton Friedman's dream come true. 

For those of you not yet born at the time of the controversy, Bill Clinton's first nominee for AG, Zoe Baird, was not confirmed because it turned out she had hired a nanny and a chauffeur who were undocumented immigrants. Of course, it didn't help that she would have been the first female AG. The Republicans absolutely refused to allow her to be confirmed.

Now three Republican nominees have turned out to have hired undocumented workers, and yet all are expected to be confirmed.

Surprise, surprise.

Yah -- the reporting: 

Meanwhile, out in the paranoid radical-Christianist heartland, there's no escaping the Fox News chyron and they think people with Trump hats are being beaten, liberal baby-killers are trying to take away their guns, all terrorists are Muslim, ISIS is coming for them, Mexicans are rapists, and all African Americans live in "inner-city" hellholes, because they've been told it constantly by their preacher, their media, their Republican officeholders, and now their president. Influential Austin-based InfoWars lunatic Alex Jones says he's "ready to die" for Trump. Somehow the guys who say that are never the ones who actually die when the bloodletting happens. Subhead: "This is bigger than 1776 if Trump can deliver."

"Lady Gaga Halftime Show A Satanic Ritual! scream Largest Font headline on Infowars.

THIS is all the little hands coup d'etat voterbasearmy ever sees or hears.

It's gonna be one hot summer in the United States of America. 

On 2/4/2017 at 1:33 PM, The Killer Snark said:

Had Obama disobeyed the Constitution when he passed a six month ban on two separate occasions on people coming in from Iraq?

There was never a time when refugees were banned. Slow downs, yes. But no ban, even during that six month period. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Their constituents don't send their children to private schools. 

Obviously only anecdotal at the moment, but seeing Rob Portman's Facebook post of his justification for his vote on DeVos, we'll see how long the memories of conservatives voters in Ohio really are come his reelection.  I didn't see a single positive comment and a whole lot of, "you will never get another one of my votes".

59 minutes ago, Mexal said:

And that's that. 50/50 vote for DeVos. Unbelievable. The most unqualified, batshit insane Education Secretary in history with zero understanding of any of the education issues and only experience is with schools is the ones her kids went to which are specifically for the super rich. Can't wait to see how this goes...

Apparently, "draining the swamp" means bottling up the swamp juice, calling it Amway Holy Healthwater, and selling it in school lunches for $10 a bottle. 

3 minutes ago, alguien said:

Apparently, "draining the swamp" means bottling up the swamp juice, calling it Amway Holy Healthwater, and selling it in school lunches for $10 a bottle. 

Anything to make a buck off of American school kids, no reason they should be able to go to school for free, amirite?

50 minutes ago, Commodore said:

I don't think anybody in their right mind would deny that our school system has some serious issues.

But, it doesn't follow, that DeVos' fondness for privatization is the solution. Nor does it follow that Devos has the technocratic chops to carry out any reform.

Devos doesn't appear to be a highly accomplished technocrat. But, only a free market fundamentalist ideologue. "A True Conservative" or whatever.

Some privatization *might* be okay. I have no strong opinion about whether some should happen or whether some shouldn't.  It would depend on the exact details.But, I find conservatives' free market fundamentalism to be utterly effing tiresome at this point.

I'd point out that privatization could be subject to all sorts of abuse. Also, if we decide something should largely be a widely available public good, it doesn't necessarily follow, I don't think, that the private market can produce the good cheaper and better. Private firms have to earn returns for their investors after all and have to pay for things like marketing expenses.

And even if complete privatization was a solution,which I seriously doubt it is, there are still big questions about how that whole thing would get financed and paid for - about who pays and who gets what. And I have no confidence, as do large segments of the public it would seem, that Devos could handle these questions competently.

Article involving Trump wanting to "destroy" the career of an unnamed State Lawmaker whom a Mexican Drug Cartel will build a statue to that State Lawmaker if he can pass a law related to Asset Forfeiture Laws.

Enjoy!

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-sheriff-asset-forfeiture-texas-234740

President Donald Trump invited the sheriff of a small Texas County to “destroy” the career of a state senator who sought to ban a controversial law enforcement practice by naming the lawmaker during a White House meeting.

At a listening session with county sheriffs from around the country, Trump invited the sheriffs seated in the White House’s Roosevelt Room to make a statement while reporters were present. Rockwall County, Texas, Sheriff Harold Eavenson spoke up first to discuss asset forfeiture, a practice by which law enforcement can seize the cash and property of individuals suspected of committing a crime without a guilty verdict.

“Can you believe that?” Trump interjected.

“And I told him that the cartel would build a monument to him in Mexico if he could get that legislation passed,” the Texas sheriff continued.

“Who is the state senator? Do you want to give his name? We’ll destroy his career,” Trump replied, presumably suggesting that the lawmaker would suffer for holding a position contrary to the president’s.

The president’s remark elicited laughter from those gathered in the Roosevelt Room, although the president did not join in. Eavenson did not offer the Texas state senator’s name, and the public information officer for the Rockwall County sheriff's office did not immediately return a phone call seeking clarity on which lawmaker the sheriff was referring to in his White House remarks.

Give the Sheriff credit for knowing how to get Trump going.

From a Mediate article, the State Senator is a Tea Party Republican

UPDATE 12:24 PM ET: According to the Washington Post’s Radley Balko, it appears that it is indeed Hall.

Appears that the Texas state senator whose career Trump threatened to destroy in that video is GOP Sen. Bob Hall, a Tea Party guy.

— Radley Balko (@radleybalko) February 7, 2017

3 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Anything to make a buck off of American school kids, no reason they should be able to go to school for free, amirite?

Don't worry, there's an amazing deal with McDonalds in the making. They pay an annual fee, and in return they will be the primary food providers for public schools across the states.

4 minutes ago, Notone said:

Don't worry, there's an amazing deal with McDonalds in the making. They pay an annual fee, and in return they will be the primary food providers for public schools across the states.

Well that's not nice since the Sect'y of Labor is that Carl's Jr/Hardee's goon!  He better call DeVos and get his high quality obesity grub in her schools pronto!  Gotta stay on that gravy train.

Archived